WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Rapper T.I. Says Atlantic Records Hates His New Positive Image

Added by brittl on August 4, 2013.
Saved under Black Celebrities, Black Men, Entertainment
Tags: african american, arrested, Atlantic Records, Born Clifford Harris, interview, positive, prison, rappers, sales, Teflon Don

Reported By: Britt L

The Atlanta based rapper who built his career as a hard core, drug pushing southern king has now adopted a family-friendly image that hasn’t scored him too much attention or money in recent years. T.I., Born Clifford Harris, went from writing rhymes about his endeavors in crime to releasing albums with a more nostalgic and introspective theme about his past life. T.I. explains that his longtime label, Atlantic Records, wasn’t too thrilled about the rappers drastic turnaround.

T.I. explained in an interview with XXL that his sales have dropped compared to his successful sales in the mid-2000′s and has become less popular among young kids. Many artists have seen a similar fall because of illegal downloading, but Atlantic felt T.I.’s mature and fatherly like character was hurting the well respected “thug” image he’s gained over the years.

“Nah, [Atlantic Records] hated it,” T.I. said. “Labels love hardcore T.I. That keeps the cash register ringing. They don’t want me to go to prison and caught, though. They want me to be the ‘Teflon Don,’ and I can’t blame them.”

That s–t’s sexy. But I’m older, man. I’m wiser, I’m calmer,” he further explains. “I’m better, stronger. I’m ready for whatever tomorrow got coming.”

T.I. announced before that he was walking away from music, solely because of the poor record sales acquired by his first studio album, I’m Serious.

“I thought I’d be in prison or dead or back selling crack,” said T.I. “I came so close to getting back in the game after my first album didn’t do what it was supposed to do. I still had people to feed. I wasn’t front lines like I was at one time, but I definitely … [pauses] I’m not going to talk anymore about that.”

T.I had been into running forces with the law on plenty occasions. In 2007, Harris was arrested and charged with possession of three machine guns and possession of firearms by a convicted felon. He was sentenced to serve a year in prison.

Soon after his release, T.I. was arrested yet again on drug charges. Harris’ legal troubles made for great headlines and great stories for the album he released after his arrests, titled Trouble Man: Heavy Is The Head.

T.I.’s family oriented TV show, T.I & Tiny: The Family Hustle, which airs on VH1 is another reason for T.I’s image becoming what it is today. The show features T.I. giving advice to his children about teenage situations, and shows him really involved in his wife Tiny their kids’ lives.

Why does the media never respect when an African American man has a positive image?

LordFendiMane

Banned
Daps
He is full of sh1t. TI is my favorite rapper but he is going through the motions of a failing music career. Atleast he had the foresight to get that reality TV money and clean up his image so he can get into acting and maybe get an endorsement or two. His last album was the most street album since TI Vs. TIP and he's no longer signed to Atlantic so wtf is he talking about?

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He just need to find another rapper to beef with, and he will see his album sells jump back up.

shyt, it worked for him before.:yeshrug:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
T.I forgot that the system is designed to generate income from individuals of African descent being demonic, not angelic. Perhaps T.I should get into Gospel music before he gets dropped from his label for not fulling his deal with the devil. Its difficult to build your whole career on demonic filth and then suddenly take a less demonic stance without it being somewhat gradual. I guess once friends get rich and have peace, they want their salvation. Good luck, friends. :sitdown:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Most rappers aren't selling anyways, ti is joke who polluted many minds with his demonic music.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
I feel him....But its like that for all the older trap guys like T.I., Gucci, Jeezy...

The thing is T.I. still be spitting though, I done heard about 3 features this year when he done went in...

But when you aren't "hot" nobody seems to care....

But I respect what he doing, he getting that VH-1 money and prepping his sons to be able to make money in the entertanment business...

As much as I would want the "Old T.I." back, If I heard him rapping about being in the trap or goiing sack for sack I would be like :stopitslime:

I'm still waiting for these rich black rappers/R&B singers to come together to form their own label and/or distrubution company and stop letting these wack suits dictate how their music sounds and when it comes out...

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
You can make age appropriate albums and still receive critical acclaim. Just last year NaS released a number one album called Life Is Good and it was nominated for 4 Grammys and received the highest ranking in XXL. And he has a solid fanbase that is gonna keep him around forever because his core audience is growing and maturing with him.
I think T.I. has it in him to make that transaction but he has to fully embrace it in order for it to work. Son can still spit:obama:

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I guess he isn't the king of the south like he said. Somebody pass that crown to Guwap.

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm sure atlantic does want his "image" to be gangster. But lets be real this nikka acting like Mr. Rogers on T.V. and spitting like a stone cold killer on wax.

as far as introspective songs dude been dropping them since day one