Random NBA Observations 2023 - 2024

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Every NBA person besides Tim MacMahon trashed the Ayton/Nurkic trade for Phoenix and scoffed at the idea of it working. I thought it was addition by subtraction for the Suns and they got some depth on the fringes to get through the season with Allen and Little.

Nurkic looked outstanding in the opener. If he stays healthy and plays like that all season, he's an upgrade over Ayton for THEM. I'll repeat what I said in the game thread:

He was moving really well out there. God only knows how long he'll stay on the court but he looks healthier than he has in years. Noticeably slimmer too.

I thought he was 35 because it feels like he's been around forever and been banged up for years but he's only 29. Not inconceivable that he manages to stay on the court.

dfresh

Pro
Daps
Eh…..centers against the warriors is a real thing. I wouldn’t put too much stock in this game when evaluating that ayton and nurkic trade.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
When did hbo max get some nba games? I’ll be able to check out some marquee games now

They streaming tnt's coverage
Up until February 29th, I believe. It'll still go on from there, but you're gonna have to pay extra
This is all a trial run for Warner Brother's Discovery by simulcasting the NBA on TNT on both cable and streaming via HBO Max.

Their exclusive negotiation window with the NBA for the new TV deal runs until May 2024. This may be a precursor to a deal as it's obvious to me that the NBA will remain on TNT as it has since 1989. Disney also is probably negotiating but they have cost structure issues they're trying to sort through but I imagine they're keeping the NBA on there too.

After that, the NBA will be able to talk to Comcast (NBC), Amazon, Apple, etc to get as close to that $75 billion over 10 years for TV rights. Ain't no way they're only going to be having two partners like they've had over the past 35 years (whether its TNT and ESPN/ABC or TNT and NBC or TNT and CBS).

But it seems like every media partner the NBA will eventually make a deal with will have games on their streaming platforms.