Random NBA Observations 2023 - 2024

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I understand they have injuries(which would make this perfect timing) but if I’m the Cavs I seriously consider trading Mitch at the deadline

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
He's got to be in MVP talks right about now
How so? You got players like Embiid, Jokic, Giannis, Doncic, Shai, Tatum, AD, Haliburton, Edwards, Lebron, Fox who have been just as impressive if not more so over the course of the full season as Kawhi during that stretch whose teams also have better record. This is an insane year for the top stars production so far.

• Dap
Reactions: No1

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I understand they have injuries(which would make this perfect timing) but if I’m the Cavs I seriously consider trading Mitch at the deadline
What sucks for them is that by trading for him then they don't have his bird rights so they can offer him the 5th year unless he becomes a FA. It makes no financial sense for him to sign an extension now, but the longer they wait, the less value he has if he decides to want out.

Depending on how bad he wants that 5th year, it'd probably be beneficial for both parties to let him sign it and then move him after.

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Kawhi had such a shyt start to the season even by his own slow start standards that, short term, he's not gonna have a proper narrative for early MVP talks unless LAC pushes their 7game win streak to 10 or 11+... and in the process he matches/outshines their opps in those upcoming games (which so happen to be Haliburton, Luka, SGA, and Tatum in succession starting tomorrow).

Long term tho, the narrative he'll need is best player on best regular season team (record wise). Because Embiid is probably gonna run away with the best individual player narrative, unless Jokic takes it to another gear.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What sucks for them is that by trading for him then they don't have his bird rights so they can offer him the 5th year unless he becomes a FA. It makes no financial sense for him to sign an extension now, but the longer they wait, the less value he has if he decides to want out.

Depending on how bad he wants that 5th year, it'd probably be beneficial for both parties to let him sign it and then move him after.

Wouldn’t the Cavs have his bird rights though? Unless something changed in the new CBA a player only loses his bird rights when they get waived or changed teams during free agency, when they get traded the new team inherits their bird rights

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Wouldn’t the Cavs have his bird rights though? Unless something changed in the new CBA a player only loses his bird rights when they get waived or changed teams during free agency, when they get traded the new team inherits their bird rights
They do, but they can only offer him the 5th year if he turns down the player option next season and becomes a FA. Depending on who you ask, he's willing to turn down the 5th year just to leave Cleveland. If that's true, then you'd arguably have to move him now before he becomes an expiring and loses value.

I don't think he would as it's too much money to do so, but stranger things have happened.

He's not eligible for the Brown and Tatum supermax though with the trade from Utah.