Random NBA Observations 2021 - 2022

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The seeding shuffling fukkery that is going to take place in the East coming down the stretch is going to be something else.

Depending on where BK potentially winds up will dictate how teams approach closing their seasons. Being the 3rd Seed seems the most ideal path to the ECFs/Finals if you're Boston, Chicago or Miami.
Add to it that, if BK finishes as the 8th seed, and Toronto as the 7th... Kyrie is essentially ineligible for the play-ins, right? i.e. they'd have to play Toronto in Toronto (no Kyrie), and were they to lose, they'd have to host the winner of the 9/10th seed battle in BK (also no Kyrie).

If so, then in a weird way BK is almost better off as the 10th seed :heh:, so they can go on the road at full strength to stomp the 9th seed and 8th seeds.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Add to it that, if BK finishes as the 8th seed, and Toronto as the 7th... Kyrie is essentially ineligible for the play-ins, right? i.e. they'd have to play Toronto in Toronto (no Kyrie), and were they to lose, they'd have to host the winner of the 9/10th seed battle in BK (also no Kyrie).

If so, then in a weird way BK is almost better off as the 10th seed :heh:, so they can go on the road at full strength to stomp the 9th seed and 8th seeds.
Yup, it's going to be wild and all the noise from Brooklyn if that scenario plays out will be unbelievable.

Toronto finishing 7th is the gift of fukkery to their season that just keeps on giving.

:mjlol:

Illin Degenerate

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

problem is if someone upsets the raptors in the 7v8 game then theyre in the same boat of an elimination game without kyrie. wont make a difference on kyrie's status at this moment but itll be interesting to see if bk makes a push to get into the 7th spot ahead of the play-in.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
random/OT but I can’t believe the CPU let me trade carmelo and a 2nd rounder for mitchell robinson and westbrook/dwight howard for gordon haywood/mason plumlee…2k still making stupid trades after all these years :heh:

Hypris

Superstar
Daps
This is why I was against the play-in when it was announced.

Every so often you get a team like last year's Grizzlies or the Suns that year they won 48 and were the 9th seed. But most of the time those teams on the outside are not worthy of a second chance at making the playoffs. Lakers are garbage and their season needs to end at game 82.

Or maybe they need to implement a rule that you have to at least have a winning record to qualify.

The play-in was cool for the bubble when the season was cut short due to the pandemic. Now that things are getting back to normal, there's no need for it. Now it's just a money grab that rewards mediocre teams with another chance at the playoffs. If you can't get top 8 out of 15 teams in a conference, you don't deserve the playoffs.

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Was surprised to hear last night that the Timberwolves lead the league in 3 pointers made

Beasley set an NBA record for most points scored on only 3 pointers

Last edited:

WMG the 2nd

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
random/OT but I can’t believe the CPU let me trade carmelo and a 2nd rounder for mitchell robinson and westbrook/dwight howard for gordon haywood/mason plumlee…2k still making stupid trades after all these years :heh:
You gotta change the sliders

Daps
The play-in was cool for the bubble when the season was cut short due to the pandemic. Now that things are getting back to normal, there's no need for it. Now it's just a money grab that rewards mediocre teams with another chance at the playoffs. If you can't get top 8 out of 15 teams in a conference, you don't deserve the playoffs.

I always thought if you are not within 2 games of the team above you then it’s null & void

b. woods

Peace
Daps

If this scenario plays out :damn:

charknicks

All Star
Daps
It’s really designed to discourage tanking coupled with the new lottery odds. I think the teams that want to tank still will but it seems to have added some extra incentive to be competitive. It’s also essentially extra playoff games the league & broadcast partners have created. I don’t necessarily disagree it’s an odd system but it’s not going away

The play in games are basically designed to curb tanking, but the Lakers and Nets are the perfect test case scenarios as to why they are doing it in the first place.

For the Lakers, they have no chance of reaching 8th basically, so their season would have pretty much ended at the All Star break. Thats not good for the NBA at all. At least with this play-in, they can win 2 games (Pelicans and then Clippers/T Wolves loser) and make it into the playoffs. Is it fair? Not at all. But its a way to keep interest in the league for the whole season, as well as not having teams just trade players away.

In the West, basically the 1st and 8th seeds are wrapped up. Basically 7th is gonna be Minnesota. So all to watch now are jockeying for 2nd-6th, and there are still 17 games left.