⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Hawaii Suffering From Racial Prejudice

INTELLIGENCE REPORT
The Intelligence Report is the SPLC's award-winning magazine.Subscribe here for a print copy.
HAWAII SUFFERING FROM RACIAL PREJUDICE

Fall Issue
August 30, 2009

Larry Keller
For years, Hawaiians have avoided talk of race and hate crimes. That doesn't mean the island state doesn't have a problem

Celia Padron went on a Hawaiian vacation last year, lured by the prospect of beautiful beaches and friendly people. She, her husband and two teenage daughters enjoyed the black sand beach at Makena State Park on Maui. But a Hawaiian girl accosted her two teenage daughters, saying, "Go back to the mainland" and "Take your white ass off our beaches," says Padron, a pediatric gastroenterologist in New Jersey.

When her husband, 68 at the time, stepped between the girls, three young Hawaiian men slammed him against a vehicle, cutting his ear, and choked and punched him, Padron says. Police officers persuaded the Padrons not to press charges, saying it would be expensive for them to return for court appearances and a Hawaiian judge would side with the Hawaiian assailants, the doctor contends.

"There is no doubt in my mind [the attack] was racially motivated," she adds.

With no known hate groups and a much-trumpeted spirit of aloha or tolerance, few people outside Hawaii realize the state has a racism issue. One reason: The tourism-dependent state barely acknowledges hate crimes. That makes it hard to know how often racial violence is directed at Caucasians, who comprise about 25% of the ethnically diverse state's 1.3 million residents. Those who identify themselves as Native Hawaiian — most residents are of mixed race — account for nearly 20%.

trask.jpg

Professor Haunani-Kay Trask believes Native Hawaiians have every right to feel hostile toward whites.
Hawaii has collected hate crimes data since 2002 (most states began doing so a decade earlier). In the first six years, the state reported only 12 hate crimes, and half of those were in 2006. (All other things being equal, the state would be expected to have more than 800 such crimes annually, given the size of its population, according to a federal government study of hate crimes.) There was anti-white bias in eight of those incidents. But that doesn't begin to reflect the extent of racial rancor directed at non-Native Hawaiians in the Aloha State, especially in schools. For example:

• The last day of school has long been unofficially designated "Kill Haole Day," with white students singled out for harassment and violence. (Haole — pronounced how-lee — is slang for a foreigner, usually white, and sometimes is used as a racial slur.)
  • A non-Native Hawaiian student who challenged the Hawaiian-preference admission policy at a wealthy private school received a $7 million settlement this year.
  • A 12-year-old white girl new to Hawaii from New York City needed 10 surgical staples to close a gash in her head incurred when she was beaten in 2007 by a Native Hawaiian girl who called her a "fukking haole."
  • A vocal segment of Native Hawaiians is pushing for independence to end the "prolonged occupation" by the United States and governance by natives.
  • Demonstrators shouting racial epithets at whites disrupted a statehood celebration in 2006.
Anti-white sentiments such as these have been more than 200 years in the making. The pivotal event occurred when American and European businessmen, backed by U.S. military forces, overthrew Hawaii's monarch in 1893 and placed her under house arrest two years later. The United States annexed the islands as a territory in 1898, and they became a state in 1959.

Little wonder then that as Hawaii prepares to observe the 50th anniversary of becoming the 50th state on Aug. 21, it will a muted celebration, devoid of parades or fireworks.

Classroom Warfare
Tina Mohr has lived in Hawaii for 25 years. She has Native Hawaiian friends. But in the 2003-04 school year, her twin blond-haired daughters, aged 11 at the time, began getting harassed by Native Hawaiian kids at their school on the Big Island. "Our daughters would come home with bruises and cuts," she tells the Intelligence Report.

One of her girls was assaulted twice in the same day. In one scuffle, she had her head slammed into a wall, and her attacker continued to threaten her. Her daughter suffered a dislocated jaw and had headaches for five weeks, Mohr says.

The torment continued in the summer between 5th and 6th grades. Native Hawaiian girls stalked and threatened her daughters and yelled "fukking haole" at them. Midway through the 6th grade, Mohr began to home-school her daughters.

She filed a complaint with the civil rights division of the U.S. Department of Education in 2004. It was only recently, on Dec. 31, 2008, that the division finally released its report. The report concluded there was "substantial evidence that students experienced racially and sexually derogatory name-calling on nearly a daily basis on school buses, at school bus stops, in school hallways and other areas of the school" that Mohr's children attended.

The epithets included names such as "f*****g haole," "haole c**t" and "haole whore," according to the report. Students were told "go home" and "you don't belong here." Most of the slurs were directed by "local" or non-white students at Caucasians, especially those who were younger, smaller, light-skinned and blond.

The report also concluded that school officials responded inadequately or not at all when students complained of racial harassment. Students who did complain were retaliated against by their antagonists. "They learned not to report this stuff," Mohr says of her own daughters.

'A Hateful Place'
A violent incident with racial overtones in 2007 near Pearl Harbor prompted a good deal of soul searching about race in Hawaii. A Native Hawaiian man and his teenage son brutally pummeled and kicked a Caucasian soldier and his wife near Pearl Harbor after the soldier's SUV struck the other man's parked car. The son shouted "fukking haole" while attacking the soldier. The husband and wife suffered broken noses, facial fractures and concussions. A prosecutor said the assault was a road-rage incident, not a hate crime. But it generated much debate on newspaper websites and blogs about the use of the word haole and whether whites are the targets of racism in Hawaii.

"It is a hateful place to live if you are white," wrote a woman on one Hawaii website's comments section. A Hawaii native who is white wrote, "Racism exists in Hawaii. My whole life I've never really felt welcome here." A sailor stationed at Pearl Harbor added that "this island is the most racist place I have ever been in my life."

8qx0O.gif

Last edited:

Black Cobain

Donkey Punch? I Donkey Slap!
Daps
Reppin
New Afrika

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
7 Reasons Hawaii Hates You

7 Reasons Hawaii Hates You
By Liz Beacon. Last edited by Marios Alexandrou.

Flickr by Hawaii Air National Guard
Doesn't it seem kind of weird that Hawaii is a US state? It's about 2,500 miles from California's east coast and has a completely different history than the mainland US.

Until 1898, Hawaii functioned perfectly fine as an independent nation. That was the year that Hawaii became a US territory and the government forced Queen Liliuokalani out of power. It later became a state in 1959.

You might think, so what? That's all history, right?

Think again. Consider the perspective of Hawaii's native people. To natives, a bunch of Europeans showed up one day and decided to make major changes to their culture. If, say, Germany took over your state, wouldn't you be pissed?

Oh, and then Germany sent so many of its people to live in your state that you can't even get around by speaking your native tongue anymore. So this foreign country has essentially forced you to revoke your heritage and follow its culture instead.

Yeah, we thought so.

2. You Sound Like an Ass
hawaii-hang-loose.jpg
Image via Flickr by Kojach
Just so you know, you don't sound cool when you try to use Hawaiian words while visiting Hawaii. When you mispronounce simple words like “aloha” and “nani,” you sound like an ass.

Here's the deal, it's about as acceptable for a mainlander to use Hawaiian words as it is for a white person to call a black person the N-word. You don't know what you're saying; you don't know how to say it; and you have no right to appropriate another culture's language.

To reiterate: you sound like an ass, so shut up already before Hawaii punches you.

3. You're Destroying Hawaii's Environment
hawaii-garbage-on-the-beach.jpg
Image via Flickr by Justin Ornellas
Tourists visit Hawaii because they love the sand beaches, lush jungles, and, of course, the warm weather. That seems pretty understandable. Unfortunately, so many tourists want to visit Hawaii that they're screwing up the very things that make them want to go there in the first place.

The state (do not make the mistake of assuming that the state and the native people have the same perspective on anything in Hawaii) plans to accept 262,000 visitors a dayby 2020. That means Hawaii, with its population of 1.8 million people, will have 12.6 million tourists every year.

All of those people are destroying the environment. It doesn't even matter what tourists do. They can pick up after themselves, choose sustainable hotels, and refuse to use plastic bags, but it still doesn't matter because Hawaii cannot support that many people.

The situation is so bad that the Hawaii Ecumenical Coalition issued a declaration in 1989 saying that the Hawaiian Islands and its people faced a state of emergency.

Hawaiians who understand this hate you just for showing up. They don't want your stupid tourism dollars. They want to enjoy their beaches without worrying about sewage backflows.

4. You Helped Ruin Breasts
hawaii-dancing.jpg
Image via Flickr by quinn.anya
Do you know what most Hawaiian women wore before European missionaries showed up? I'll tell you what they didn't wear… shirts! Hawaiian women typically strolled around without anything covering their breasts. And then a bunch of European Catholics came along and said, “Oh my! Cover those things up!”

The men are still pissed off over that one. Some of the women aren't too happy, either.

5. You're Mocking Hawaiian Traditions
hawaii-mocking-attire.jpg
Image via Flickr by garryknight
Now that you've stolen public breasts from the Hawaiian people, how about mocking the rest of the culture by wearing cheap clothes that vaguely imitate items traditionally worn on the islands.

Go ahead, put on that grass skirt made of plastic! Why not wear a feather head dress while you're sitting beside the hotel pool? Hey, it's your vacation, go for it!

If you think that sounds ridiculous, let's turn it around and use it on your culture. Let's say you're a devout Catholic, and here comes someone wearing a big plastic cross or maybe a Pope hat made of cheap materials. Are you offended?

Wait. Before you answer, consider that this type of dress has become acceptable by most of the people around you. When you get upset, they tell you not to be so uptight. I mean, come on, we're just mocking the traditions of your ancestors. Get over it already.

Now how mad would you get when you saw an airplane dumping these offensive cultural parasites on your native soil?

6. The Living Was Easy… Until You Showed Up
hawaii-kayaks-on-the-beach.jpg
Image via Flickr by Sarah_Ackerman
Tourism has made it nearly impossible for average people to live in Hawaii. When you spend your tourism dollars on hotels and condos, you push housing costs so high that the people who actually live in Hawaii can't afford to live in Hawaii.

In 2000, the median cost of a house in Honolulu County was $274,600. By 2009, the median price had reached $552,100. Renting makes life a bit easier, but locals can still expect to spend over $1,000 per month for a small apartment.

Meanwhile, guess how much people get paid in Hawaii? The median household income in 2009 was just barely over $67,700. A family making that much money cannot possibly afford a house that costs half a million dollars.

The state might love your tourism dollars, but the locals know that every dollar you spend makes it harder for them to survive.

7. You Pay Hawaiians to Demean Themselves
hawaii-bobble-doll.jpg
Image via Flickr by Steve Snodgrass
Before you argue that Hawaii has more jobs because of tourism, stop and think about what those jobs entail. You're mostly talking about the kinds of jobs that force scantily clad women to dance on the beach for your entertainment or demand natives to roast pigs for your enjoyment. Yeah, because those traditions were only created for the pleasure of tourists who don't understand a thing about Hawaii's history or people.

Thanks so much for making economic conditions so hard for native Hawaiians that they're forced to demean their customs just to pay the rent.

Hawaii hates you, and it has some pretty good reasons. If you still want to visit, then take some time to remember that you are a visitor. You better act like a visitor if you want people to respect you at all.

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
I gotta cousin stationed in Hawaii and I need a summer vacay! Lemme roll on out!:whoo:

Go! You'll have fun.

The locals hate white people. If you're black, cool. They have no problem with black people. I feel sorry for the locals in Waianae (west Oahu). They hate all mainlanders, for good reasons but overall if you're black, you're good money out there

And if your single, you'll eat

The black men, Latino men, heterosexual men overall will do anything in their power to be with you and make you stay lol

Trust me, I know

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
"It is a hateful place to live if you are white," wrote a woman on one Hawaii website's comments section. A Hawaii native who is white wrote, "Racism exists in Hawaii. My whole life I've never really felt welcome here." A sailor stationed at Pearl Harbor added that "this island is the most racist place I have ever been in my life."

200.gif

small-violin.gif

a54267c7f569dfe5fe69dd93805c57cbc71c43c63e1b6578f68a43400c814217.jpg

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Go! You'll have fun.

The locals hate white people. If you're black, cool. They have no problem with black people. I feel sorry for the locals in Waianae (west Oahu). They hate all mainlanders, for good reasons but overall if you're black, you're good money out there

And if your single, you'll eat

The black men, Latino men, heterosexual men overall will do anything in their power to be with you and make you stay lol

Trust me, I know
Yeah my cousin is getting engaged out there and she's having a destination wedding. She loves it and isn't coming back to the mainland. Hubby is building a beach house compound. Fresh veggies, fruits, pigs, chickens.