Question about installing an SSD...

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
yes, windows was and is installed on the old HD.

SSD if first boot device, i disabled all other boot abilities from other drives in bios.

it's not booting as fast as it does when other drive is unplugged but everything else is lovely.
Ahhh.. then that's your problem. You have 2 boot partitions and it seems the PC defaults to the one on the HD when both drives are plugged in(which is still weird). If you can live with the less than stellar boot times i guess you're fine, if not you'll need to do a clean install of windows with the SDD being the only drive connected. You could also try deleting the system partition on the HD by running the windows install again and/or using DISKPART. Your call really.

Last edited:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Ahhh.. then that's your problem. You have 2 boot partitions and it seems the PC defaults to the one on the HD when both drives are plugged in(which is still weird). If you can live with the less than stellar boot times i guess you're fine, if not you'll need to do a clean install of windows with the SDD being the only drive connected. You could also try deleting the system partition on the HD by running the windows install again and/or using DISKPART. Your call really.

i'd like to get rid of the system partition on the HD.
you think i could do that by installing windows again?

i kinda like the idea of having another drive with an OS on it.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
i'd like to get rid of the system partition on the HD.
you think i could do that by installing windows again?

i kinda like the idea of having another drive with an OS on it.
Deleting the partition on the HD may render the OS on that HD useless.

Start>Right Click "Computer">Properties>Advanced System Settings>Startup and Recovery>Settings>Default Operating System.. in the dropdown menu do you see 2 Windows 7 options or 1?

To delete the HD system partition you'd have to boot from the Windows installation CD/USB drive and continue the windows setup and select custom when you get to this option:
f14706b1-8c3a-427c-8740-a5619b9d6445_0.jpg

When you get here:

680_Win8DB_CP_Where_do_you_want_to_install_Windows.jpg

You should see 4 partitions:

Disk 0 Partition 1:System Reserved
Disk 0 Partition 2:???
Disk 1 Partition 1:System Reserved
Disk 1 Partition 2:???

If the drives are connected the same way as the last screen shot you posted then your SSD should be Disk 0 and your HDD should be Disk 1(either way the ssd is the smaller of the 2 drives). Select the "System Reserved" partition on the LARGER of the 2 drives, hit Drive options and format. Don't click next and DO NOT format anything else, just exit setup and restart your computer. If this doesn't work then you'll need to clean install for sure. Understand that this makes the OS installation on the HDD useless.

Disclaimer: I ain't responsible for any data loss you may or may not incur following this guide nikka :usure:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Deleting the partition on the HD may render the OS on that HD useless.

Start>Right Click "Computer">Properties>Advanced System Settings>Startup and Recovery>Settings>Default Operating System.. in the dropdown menu do you see 2 Windows 7 options or 1?

To delete the HD system partition you'd have to boot from the Windows installation CD/USB drive and continue the windows setup and select custom when you get to this option:
f14706b1-8c3a-427c-8740-a5619b9d6445_0.jpg

When you get here:

680_Win8DB_CP_Where_do_you_want_to_install_Windows.jpg

You should see 4 partitions:

Disk 0 Partition 1:System Reserved
Disk 0 Partition 2:???
Disk 1 Partition 1:System Reserved
Disk 1 Partition 2:???

If the drives are connected the same way as the last screen shot you posted then your SSD should be Disk 0 and your HDD should be Disk 1(either way the ssd is the smaller of the 2 drives). Select the "System Reserved" partition on the LARGER of the 2 drives, hit Drive options and format. Don't click next and DO NOT format anything else, just exit setup and restart your computer. If this doesn't work then you'll need to clean install for sure. Understand that this makes the OS installation on the HDD useless.

Disclaimer: I ain't responsible for any data loss you may or may not incur following this guide nikka :usure:

regarding the first part of your post, there is only one Windows 7 shown as the Default Operating System.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Aight... did you get around to doing it?

yo man, you fukked my whole shyt up and now i think my girl is gonna leave me because i lost all of her data and i don't know what i'm gonna do.

kidding....i've transfered all of the data that i need to my external from my HD and i'm gonna format it tomorrow.
will that get rid of the boot segment as well or will i have to do something else?

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
yo man, you fukked my whole shyt up and now i think my girl is gonna leave me because i lost all of her data and i don't know what i'm gonna do.

kidding....i've transfered all of the data that i need to my external from my HD and i'm gonna format it tomorrow.
will that get rid of the boot segment as well or will i have to do something else?
Windows wont allow you to delete/format the system partition from within windows. You'd have to do it using 3rd party software or delete/format the partition from within windows setup. The thing is you have 2 active system partitions when you should have one.

Try this and post the results:

1. Hit the Start button and type "cmd" in the search bar
2. Right click cmd and click "Run as administrator"
3. Type the following commands:
diskpart
list volume

4. Post a screenshot

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Windows wont allow you to delete/format the system partition from within windows. You'd have to do it using 3rd party software or delete/format the partition from within windows setup. The thing is you have 2 active system partitions when you should have one.

diskpart
list volume

4. Post a screenshot

thank you for all of your input and help.
i'll do this tomorrow and post up the results.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity

diskpart
list volume

4. Post a screenshot

h2u.png

"on computer:" is my old HD, not my SSD.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
h2u.png

"on computer:" is my old HD, not my SSD.

Ok.. Now try this:

diskpart
list volume
sel vol 3
inactive
exit
exit
4. Restart and see if there's a difference in boot times.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Ok.. Now try this:

diskpart
list volume
sel vol 3
inactive
exit
exit

:lupe:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Ok.. Now try this:

diskpart
list volume
sel vol 3
inactive
exit
exit

after i type "set vol 3" it says:

the arguments specified for this command are not valid. for more information on the command type: help setid.

i typed help setid and got:

Last edited: