Question about installing an SSD...

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
i was looking for AHCI mode and could not find it in my Bios. :sadcam:

should i re-install and do it up right?

i did not migrate so i don't know if i have to disable Disk Defragmenter....i could be wrong, i'm new to this SSD game.
That's weird that you couldn't find it in your bios... whats the model of your motherboard? There is a way to enable it after an install.. here

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Disk Defragmenter should not be disabled since it will not defrag a 0RPM disk (i.e. SSD) anyways. It will still defrag your HDDs. If you're worried and not sure just click start and type in Disk Defragmenter, click on that and see if it says "Never run" for you SSD drive.

Mine goes

(C:smile: Never run
Storage (E:smile: (0% fragmented)
System Reserve Never run

what is this System Reserve drive that i'm seeing now?
you have it too?

what is it for?

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
btw, my System Reserve is on my HDD.
is it supposed to be on my SSD?
That's weird.. It should be on your OS drive, which in this case would be your SDD. I'm still guessing you're running windows 7...?

1. Post a screenshot of your disk defragmenter window..

2. Hit the start button and type "disk" in the search bar.. and click on "create and format hard disk partitions" and post a screenshot of that too. Should look something like this:

IY8edtO.png

With your system reserve and boot/OS drive being "Disk 0" If it's not then you probably installed the OS on your SSD from a SATA slot on your MB that wasn't slot #1.

Last edited:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
That's weird.. It should be on your OS drive, which in this case would be your SDD. I'm still guessing you're running windows 7...?

2. Hit the start button and type "disk" in the search bar.. and click on "create and format hard disk partitions" and post a screenshot of that too. Should look something like this:

IY8edtO.png

With your system reserve and boot/OS drive being "Disk 0" If it's not then you probably installed the OS on your SSD from a SATA slot on your MB that wasn't slot #1.

cool, i'll be home in a couple of hours and i'll post it up.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity

IY8edtO.png

4f1r.png

i unplugged my old drive and just booted with my SSD and it booted up crazy quick.
then i hooked up both drives and it booted up slow like it did with my old drive.

not sure what to make of it.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
4f1r.png

i unplugged my old drive and just booted with my SSD and it booted up crazy quick.
then i hooked up both drives and it booted up slow like it did with my old drive.

not sure what to make of it.
As i suspected... Your machine is picking up the hard drive as Disk 0 and your SSD as Disk1 meaning the HD is the first physical disk it sees because of the order in which they're connectd to your motherboard. Try reversing the cables and see if there's a difference in boot times, and post another screen shot when you do. Also make sure the SSD is connected to a SATA3 port, preferrably the first one. You can refer to the manual your motherboard came with if you're not sure. At the very worst you may have to reinstall the OS, but this time remove the HD and leave only the SSD plugged in.

Last edited:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
As i suspected... Your machine is picking up the hard drive as Disk 0 and your SSD as Disk1 meaning the HD is the first physical disk it sees because of the order in which they're connectd to your motherboard. Try reversing the cables and see if there's a difference in boot times, and post another screen shot when you do. Also make sure the SSD is connected to a SATA3 port, preferrably the first one. You can refer to the manual your motherboard came with if you're not sure. At the very worst you may to reinstall the OS, but this time remove the HD and leave only the SSD plugged in.

i have SATA6 cables and SATA6 ports so i'm using those at the time of the screen shot.
before that both where hooked up to SATA3 ports because i did not know the difference (not that it really matters, i don't think transfer rates have caught up to SATA6 yet).

i'll switch them around and report back, but i'll wait for your response to my post.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
i have SATA6 cables and SATA6 ports so i'm using those at the time of the screen shot.
before that both where hooked up to SATA3 ports because i did not know the difference (not that it really matters, i don't think transfer rates have caught up to SATA6 yet).

i'll switch them around and report back, but i'll wait for your response to my post.
There is really no such thing as SATA6..

SATA6 = SATA III/3 which is rated at 6 Gb/s
SATA3 = SATA II/2 which is rated at 3 Gb/s

Manufacturers just name them after the transfer rates as a marketing ploy. It just confuses people. Just connect the cables to the one with the higher number.. SATA 6.

The problem seems to be the order of the cables, so just switch them around and the PC should pick up the SSD as Disk 0 and your boot times should be just as fast as it was with only the SSD plugged in.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
There is really no such thing as SATA6..

SATA6 = SATA III/3 which is rated at 6 Gb/s
SATA3 = SATA II/2 which is rated at 3 Gb/s

Manufacturers just name them after the transfer rates as a marketing ploy. It just confuses people. Just connect the cables to the one with the higher number.. SATA 6.

The problem seems to be the order of the cables, so just switch them around and the PC should pick up the SSD as Disk 0 and your boot times should be just as fast as it was with only the SSD plugged in.

z98n.png

this is what it looks like after the switch...both hooked up to SATA6.

i was getting a message about "\Drivers\chipset\Driver\Chipset\AsusSetup_hotfix.ini"

it was on the old HD, so i deleted the task that was prompting it and the message stopped and the boot was faster but not nearly as fast as when only the SSD was installed.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
z98n.png

this is what it looks like after the switch...both hooked up to SATA6.

i was getting a message about "\Drivers\chipset\Driver\Chipset\AsusSetup_hotfix.ini"

it was on the old HD, so i deleted the task that was prompting it and the message stopped and the boot was faster but not nearly as fast as when only the SSD was installed.

Weird.. Was windows ever installed on that HD? In your BIOS settings, did you set your SSD to be your first boot device/drive?

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Weird.. Was windows ever installed on that HD? In your BIOS settings, did you set your SSD to be your first boot device/drive?

yes, windows was and is installed on the old HD.

SSD if first boot device, i disabled all other boot abilities from other drives in bios.

it's not booting as fast as it does when other drive is unplugged but everything else is lovely.