PS5’s first year is shaping up to be the greatest of any console

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
if we not counting ports, cross gen or remakes Nintendo Switch def ain’t on the list then

and you have a very distorted idea of what the first year of the ps2 looked like, there wasn’t no gta on it

ps2:
  • Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
  • DOA2: Hardcore (Tecmo, Fighting)
  • Dynasty Warriors 2 (Koei, Action)
  • ESPN International Track and Field (Konami, Sports)
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding (Konami, Sports)
  • Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
  • Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
  • FantaVision (SCEI, Puzzle)
  • Gun Griffon Blaze (Working Designs, Action)
  • Kessen (EA, Adventure)
  • Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)
  • Moto GP (Namco, Racing)
  • NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Orphen (Activision, RPG)
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master (Take-Two Interactive, Simulation)
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway, Sports)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
  • Silent Scope (Konami, Shooter)
  • Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
  • SSX (EA, Sports)
  • Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
  • Summoner (THQ, RPG)
  • Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
  • TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
  • Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
  • Wild Wild Racing (Interplay, Racing)
  • X-Squad (EA, Action
same with Dreamcast outside of power stone sonic adventure and soul caliber the majority of its library are multiplatform titles. And what’s even worse the dreamcast was only on the market for 3 years

The Definitive Dreamcast Launch Game Guide - IGN

y’all move the goalpost so hard to dismiss the ps5 line up you end up disproving your own points. We can go over the first year launch of any console and prove how silly this argument is. I just looked at 5 different console launch years and it’s all the same filler garbage.

the only console that comes close to the ps5 so far (and we’re only 6 months in) is the switch and that’s taking into account it’s entire first year with the ports and cross gen games (BOTW, mario kart, FE warriors.etc)

and if we not counting ports, cross gen, or remakes the series s/ x will go down as the worst launch console of all time
The PS2 released October 26 2000 GTA III was October 22 2001 are you saying that’s not within the first year?

The 2K sports games on the Dreamcast were new series made by Sega and they weren’t multi-platform at that time. Soul Calibur also at the time wasn’t multiple platform.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The PS2 released October 26 2000 GTA III was October 22 2001 are you saying that’s not within the first year?

Breh, you know you’re reaching with this shyt lol

And I specifically said soul calibur wasn’t multiplatform.

Yeah, having a few sports games, that weren’t NBA LIVE and Madden didn’t mean shyt back then. Dreamcast pretty much had 3 great games the first year of launch. Thats if you even want to count sonic adventure which was pretty trash tbh (i know I had it)

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
So the same nikkas that keep saying spider-man don’t count cause its cross gen throw in BOTW, and how Demon’s souls don’t count cause its a Remake throw in ports like Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario kart 8, and Pokken tournament?

Same people that say Destruction All Stars don’t count will try and throw Arms in there???

Sorry that list ain’t shyttin on the first year of PlayStation 5 in any shape or form But ok...

BoTW
Mario Odyssey
MK8
Arms
MH XX
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario + Rabbids
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors

Vs

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon’s Souls
Returnal
Kena
Nioh Remastered Collection
Deathloop
Ghostwire
Destruction all stars
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon Forbiden West
God Of War Ragnarok or Factions
Astrobot

Also, take away the fact that the switch doesn’t have big multiplatform titles or backwards compatibility.....also, i say this as BoTW is prob my game of last generation

You're looking too deep into it.

I didn't complain about OPs list at all here....I just named games that came out on the Switch in 2017 as well. The first year lineup for the Switch was super impressive, including two games with some of the highest Metacritic scores ever.

I swear you just be trying to turn everything into console wars :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You're looking too deep into it.

I didn't complain about OPs list at all here....I just named games that came out on the Switch in 2017 as well. The lineup for the Switch was super impressive, including two games with some of the highest Metacritic ratings ever.

I swear you just be trying to turn everything into console wars :mjlol:

You in a PlayStation 5 thread talking about switch, we knee deep in console wars already, pay attention

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The question was about greatness, not mere quantity.

All the games listed came out within a year of the consoles US release.
. The fact that you were able to put Arcade style gaming into a console and play at home was revolutionary.

The currents systems feel more iterative and I don't think there's a game out yet that's truly revolutionary on that scale.
:patrice:
Umm, that's what I said. I didn't list a quantity of games.
He said Mario 64. I could see why Mario 64 was a huge impact back in the day but after that? Goldeneye 007 came out a year later.
Wave Race and Cruisin were dope but come on.

I think he's tryna compare the newness of the overall technology at the time(3D, analog stick) to PS5 which is pretty much a sequential upgrade as opposed to PS1, NES or N64 which were like bleeding edge technology that blew everyone away. Also nostalgia.
I said that the time these systems came out were much different. Mario 64 ushered in a whole new generation of games as did the PS1/N64 and NES.

Ever since PS1 and N64, you could argue that games just got bigger and better hence why you said "current systems feel more iterative" as they iterate on existing designs and soup them up.

It's like comparing the very first iPhone which was a huge evolution from the early smartphones to a Samsung Note 21 and declaring the Note 21 as being :ld:since it's iterative.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’m reaching by saying the PS2 had a classic game in its first year with Grand Theft Auto III which is actually true but nothing about the PS5 having the best first year ever counting games like God of War Ragnarok that don’t even have solid dates for the argument.

I’m saying they’re both Sony systems. Madden on the PS2 was a game changing upgrade. The PS2 other than Madden had a terrible launch lineup but a stellar first year. All these were 1st year PS5 games. Several of these launch or redefined franchises. Most weren’t multiplatform at the time.
NBA Street
Twisted Metal Black
Red Faction
Zone of Enders
Onimusha
Knockout Kings 2001
Rayman 2
Ico
Time Crisis II
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto III

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m reaching by saying the PS2 had a classic game in its first year with Grand Theft Auto III which is actually true but nothing about the PS5 having the best first year ever counting games like God of War Ragnarok that don’t even have solid dates for the argument.

I’m saying they’re both Sony systems. Madden on the PS2 was a game changing upgrade. The PS2 other than Madden had a terrible launch lineup but a stellar first year. All these were 1st year PS5 games. Several of these launch or redefined franchises. Most weren’t multiplatform at the time.
NBA Street
Twisted Metal Black
Red Faction
Zone of Enders
Onimusha
Knockout Kings 2001
Rayman 2
Ico
Time Crisis II
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto III
GTA 3 alone was groundbreaking.

I think overall quality was insane for PS2 but PS5 in sheer quantity with the year still left got some impressive games.

I think if we compare launch we can go like this:

PS2>PS5>PS4=PS3.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Even sony seems to agree that its the best launch ever...lol f

smqJx2E_d.webp

This was just released from their internal report

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Like clockwork :russ:
As a PS4 owner the PS5's first year won't be that impressive.

The cross generation title is a more recent thing. You couldn't really dumb a Nintendo 64 game down and put it on the Super Nintendo. Earlier systems didn't get to piggyback off previous generations as much.

Going from PS3 to PS4 and PS4 to PS5 let developers carry games over more easily. Diminishing returns on generations let that happen.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Sorry that list ain’t shyttin on the first year of PlayStation 5 in any shape or form But ok...

BoTW
Mario Odyssey
MK8
Arms
MH XX
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario + Rabbids
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors

Vs

Spider-Man Miles Morales
(you do realize nobody is calling this best game ever yet you keep talking like it is)
Demon’s Souls (PS3 in the house)
Returnal (:yawn:)
Kena(timed exclusive)
Nioh Remastered Collection (timed exclusive)
Deathloop (will be in gamepass)
Ghostwire (no buzz)
Destruction all stars (yawn)
Ratchet and Clank (Super Lucky's tale with ray tracing)
Horizon Forbiden West (gtfoh)
God Of War Ragnarok or Factions (lol at this.. ‘God of War 2’ Delayed to 2022, Will Release on PS4 and PS5 – The Hollywood Reporter
Astrobot (goo goo gaa gaa)

Also, take away the fact that the switch doesn’t have big multiplatform titles or backwards compatibility.....also, i say this as BoTW is prob my game of last generation
The fact you have you reach to create your list is all you needed to know :camby:

Sega Dreamcast had

Soul Calibur
Sonic adventure
Power stone
NFL2K
NBA2K
Tech Romancer
Chu Chu Rocket
Hydro Thunder
The typing of the dead
Shenmue
Space Channel 5
Re-volt
Blue Stinger
Ready 2 Rumble boxing
TrickStyle
Tokyo Extreme Racing

But hey, if returnal is that good then I stand corrected :yeshrug:

Nintendo 64 had
Mario 64
Pilotwings 64
Mario Kart 64
GoldenEye
Starfox64
Wave Race64
Doom64
Turok
Blast Corp
Killer instinct Gold
Cruise N USA
Mortal Kombat trilogy
Star wars shadows of the empire

Maybe you're too young to realize how important those games were at the time? I can go on, the super Nintendo had classics like Super Mario world, b Zelda A LTTP:wow: F-zero, Super Metroid didn't take long, super ghouls n ghost,U.N.Squadron this is just off top