PS5 outsells Switch for the first time ever in Japan

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
To play games? Japan sells the same amount of consoles as UK and is the 3rd biggest market for PS. Users there spend more time playing games than nearly every other market. Apex and Genshin Impact are huge over there. Elden Ring did great there too. Outside of that what other game was supposed to set the physical charts on fire in Japan. Y’all treating physical only charts as the whole market when Capcom just has a quarter where 95% of their sales were digital. None of those sales are represented on the Japan charts. When you actually look at game debuts on PS5 in Japan versus UK they are about the same but no one says PS5 is doing bad in UK or they are being scalped.

Yeah, basically.

Also there are 26 million Nintendo’s in japan right now, there are about 2 million ps5’s not including the high scalping and 10 million ps4’s. Not to mention a less than a 3rd of those PS5’s are purely digital. Add F2P on top of all that

The physical sale charts are always gonna look lopsided. Not saying it can’t be a lot better but physical is becoming meaningless even in Japan.

Then you got games on steam and xbox that don’t even register at all because they don’t sell physical copies there

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Ff16 is the wild card imo

If that game out and gets elden ring levels hype … this gens console war will end without Microsoft ever firing a shot….

MS is playing with fire not releasing games and we don’t even know if starfield is gonna be good

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Ff16 is the wild card imo

If that game out and gets elden ring levels hype … this gens console war will end without Microsoft ever firing a shot….

MS is playing with fire not releasing games and we don’t even know if starfield is gonna be good

Even if starfield is just ok, i think it’ll be rated higher than it should be cause people are so hype for a BGS game.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
It's tricky because Japan has moved towards mobile over home console. I feel Sony should've invested in a handheld that can handle PS4 games over VR because I would be all over that if my Playstation library could work on a handheld

Unless they can optimize the next gen games for the handheld and PS5, they aren't wasting their time. with the amount they invest in first party console games they may as well stick to that. GOW is a 100gb game on ps4 and 80gb+ game on PS5 the game is a beast.

would need to make something worth getting over the steamdeck I guess.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Unless they can optimize the next gen games for the handheld and PS5, they aren't wasting their time. with the amount they invest in first party console games they may as well stick to that. GOW is a 100gb game on ps4 and 80gb+ game on PS5 the game is a beast.

would need to make something worth getting over the steamdeck I guess.

The steamdeck makes every thing else redundant outside the switch.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Who in Japan doesn't have a switch by now though? Those numbers have to fall at some point.