PS4 vs. Xbox 1 innovation

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see people talking about Cerny and how much of a genius he is... But that Xbox sounds like its more custom than the ps4. I hardly understand what they were talking about at Hot Chips but it seems more custom. All in all which one do you think is more innovative and why?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I see people talking about Cerny and how much of a genius he is... But that Xbox sounds like its more custom than the ps4. I hardly understand what they were talking about at Hot Chips but it seems more custom. All in all which one do you think is more innovative and why?[/quote]

:what:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I think Xbox is more innovative because of all the things it's trying to add to gaming/entertainment. And because the system architecture is built for maximum power,efficiency, and reliabilty.

Ps4 seem to be just a more powerful ps3 with a share button.

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Xbox is more innovative because of all the things it's trying to add to gaming/entertainment. And because the system architecture is built for maximum power,efficiency, and reliabilty.

10 years on is a big deal for anything. But their whole goal was for low latency to increase the responsiveness around kinect. They could have slapped some ddr5 in there but that wouldn't have done the trick.

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not court but its kinda a bait and switch... Like hey tell me what you think is innovative about that machine that isn't innovative. Yeah I don't expect any ps4 peeps to say anything.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I see people talking about Cerny and how much of a genius he is... But that Xbox sounds like its more custom than the ps4. I hardly understand what they were talking about at Hot Chips but it seems more custom. All in all which one do you think is more innovative and why?

The reasons the Xbox1 seems more custom is because of the ESRAM setup and trying to make up for lack of Memory bandwidth in DDR3 RAM & inferior GPU. Cerny has talked ALOT about PS4's customization this year (especially this summer). That Hot Chips conference is the first time (& probably the last time) that MS has talked about the Xbox1 internal customization. This just shows that either you're trolling or you haven't been paying attention to what Cerny has been saying.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The reasons the Xbox1 seems more custom is because of the ESRAM setup & trying to make up for lack of Memory bandwidth in DDR3 RAM. Cerny has talked ALOT about PS4's customization this year (especially this summer). That Hot Chips conference is the first time (& probably the last time) that MS has talked about the Xbox1 internal customization. This just shows that either you're trolling or you haven't been paying attention to what Cerny has been saying.

this. Cats obviously didn't pay any attention during the PS4 reveal and subsequent interviews from CernDog.

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The reasons the Xbox1 seems more custom is because of the ESRAM setup and trying to make up for lack of Memory bandwidth in DDR3 RAM & inferior GPU. Cerny has talked ALOT about PS4's customization this year (especially this summer). That Hot Chips conference is the first time (& probably the last time) that MS has talked about the Xbox1 internal customization. This just shows that either you're trolling or you haven't been paying attention to what Cerny has been saying.

True True... has nothing to do with the kinect, or the hdmi In and the the features that come along with it. The cloud computing either. Oh and yeah that's in response to Sony's stuff all this stuff seems to be rushed. Not exactly.

this. Cats obviously didn't pay any attention during the PS4 reveal and subsequent interviews from CernDog.

I kinda forgot... give me a reminder.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Ps4 is definitely closer to "off the shelf" than X1 is.

But overall they have very different design philosophies.

They both spent about the same amount of money on parts.

Ps4 was built for bruit force

Xb1 was built for maximum efficiency and diverse capabilities.

I think at the end of the day M$ got more bang for their buck through innovation. It's powerful enough to meet devs desires for "next gen" but it also adds a bunch of new capabilities and was designed for long term extended use.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It kills me how folk with basically no technical knowledge weigh in on certain subjects.
Then op be tryna be slick with it on top ...

So the Xbox is built for reliability...but the ps4 ain't just cause you say it is....biased fanboy

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It kills me how folk with basically no technical knowledge weigh in on certain subjects.
Then op be tryna be slick with it on top ...

So the Xbox is built for reliability...but the ps4 ain't just cause you say it is....biased fanboy

Damn y'all get buthurt quick.

The Xbox is built for efficiency because the parts inside are purposely running under their capabilities yet the architecture squeezes very good performance out the parts.

It's also huge with a huge fan. And was built with the idea of running "always on" for 10 years.

How was the ps4 built specifically for efficiency/reliability?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Damn y'all get buthurt quick.

The Xbox is built for efficiency because the parts inside are purposely running under their capabilities yet the architecture squeezes very good performance out the parts.

It's also huge with a huge fan. And was built with the idea of running "always on" for 10 years.

How was the ps4 built specifically for efficiency/reliability?

Unified Ram, Huma tech, is as efficient as you can get for the setup. There is no split memory pool that you have to program for like the PS3. As well as no helper ram module like ESRAM that you have to program for with the Xb1.

Smooth3d

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa,Ok
I applaud @satam55 at least he stayed on subject and gave his opinion. But to give you my answer to the question is that MS is trying to merge everything we do at the tv together. MS is being more forward thinking in their innovations. People tend to resist change on things they have passion in, even if the change is for the better. Its trying to tell a old school car enthusiast that a 2013 mustang is superior to a 1965 one. He doesn't want to hear that even though the new one is faster, safer, handles better etc.

The PS4 is a good gaming system if it has the games you like. But innovative its not.