Which console was better?

• Total voters

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
Thats where we differ, im actually a gamer... i can't expect a person who exclusively play console fps to relate to any game that actually had a well thought out storyline, gameplay and characters. When i play a fps its on a pc because i am a hardcore gamer but since we're talking about consoles we have nothing to talk about if you're stuck on mindless games like halo and cod. Play me in a game of ut2k4 or quake 3 then tell me about quality fps...but if your best argument is shooters and xbox live then this thread aint for you.

For you to just label me as a casual FPS player who plays strictly CoD/Halo you're no better than the close-minded label you tried to put on me. The only games I don't really play are JRPG's because I honestly can't stand that stuff, I play platformers (the only other genre other than RPG's that actually has storyline, gameplay and characters) just like other gamers. Just about half of the games you listed we're JRPG's so I'm not going to relate to those.

Concerning the elitist rant you previously stated about being an FPS veteran which had nothing to do with the topic you started once again why would you just assume all of that simply because I don't prefer a bunch of Japanese influenced games? I mean I'm by far no means a fan of Halo or CoD outside of CoD 2 but I can appreciate a good shooter when played in a balanced, competitive setting. Halo and CoD and Gears of War deliver both of those experiences very well. They promote good team positioning and map control. Gears of War promoted good strafing technique something that was very big in UT and Quake. It's no UT or Quake or Wolfenstein in terms of speed and precision but those days of twitch shooters are over. I can clearly tell you're bitter about that as well to just throw that out there like that, just get over it. You can always play Quake Live still though, I hear it's active in Tier 4 where all the real players are.

Xbox made up for it's lack of platformers with good quality FPS games such as Unreal Championship 1 and 2 for example, Mechassault was also another great Xbox game. and if you disagree especially concerning UC1 you're an idiot because UC1=UT2k3 and UT2k4 was essentially just an expansion pack of 2k3. Are you going to retract your statement about FPS games because it's on Xbox? I may base my arguement on FPS and Xbox Live but good luck finding a general consensus to co-sign a bunch of JRPG's outside of a bunch of anime heads since you want to throw assumptions around. I rarely ever hear those games mentioned in the same sentence outside of Dragon Quest/FF. Most of the games people will choose to remember the PS2 by are sports games and platformers.

UT'99 strafe>Float Jump UT2k4

Last edited:

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
Xbox made up for it's lack of platformers with good quality FPS games such as Unreal Championship 1 and 2 for example, and if you disagree especially concerning UC1 you're an idiot because UC1=UT2k3 and UT2k4 was essentially just an expansion pack of 2k3. Are you going to retract your statement about FPS games because it's on Xbox?

UT'99 strafe>Float Jump UT2k4

You throw around the word "Elitist" like thats an insult, im a gamer you can't come at me with that shyt :heh: UC was indeed just a conversion of 2k3 but lets be reality here, why did you think they allowed kb&m for u3 on consoles? or why they added that silly melee in UC2 to balance the game? Unreal was never meant for a dual analog controller...and the gravity in ut2k4 were tweaked in damn near every server i played on, so i don't agree. And you act as if jrpg are all the same format..all of those games have EXTREMELY different play styles which leads me to believe that you're too close minded to be taken seriously. Other than a hp bar or mp bar not one of those games plays the same...some of them can even be classified as platformers. Go figure

Last edited:

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
You throw around the word "Elitist" like thats an insult, im a gamer you can't come at me with that shyt :heh: UC was indeed just a conversion of 2k3 but lets be reality here, why did you think they allowed kb&m for u3 on consoles? or why they added that silly melee in UC2 to balance the game? Unreal was never meant for a dual analog controller...and the gravity in ut2k4 were tweaked in damn near every server i played on, so i don't agree. And you act as if jrpg are all the same format..all of those games have EXTREMELY different play styles which leads me to believe that you're too close minded to be taken seriously.

Unreal did just fine with a dual-analog controller, I had no problem hitting well predicted mid-air rockets :yeshrug:. UT2k4 has always been floaty, you've never played on a default server? I wouldn't know about JRPG's, like I said before, they don't appeal to me and I never played enough of them to know any differences. But I'm willing to put money that the majority of people:

-Don't remember the PS2 for JRPG's.
-Don't remember the good majority of those JRPG's.

I bet the majority of people who voted PS2 in this thread voted for the controller and games outside the ones you listed. I also bet that a good majority of those games were ported over to Xbox, which was the superior console. Even Gamecube had better hardware than PS2 :heh:. A lot of people at the time bought the PS2 when it dropped based off of having the PS1, Xbox came out later. People already had a console they were comfortable with so why buy another? That's where @ChrisDorner comes in. If the Xbox came out alongside the PS2 I'd also bet that it would have also sold more because it was the better system and have more votes in this thread. The PS2 does have a good case working for it, I'm a big fan of Kingdom Hearts/Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter (No one gave a damn about Crash Bandicoot on PS2) but that's really all PS2 has working for it over Xbox, otherwise Xbox just did it better. I could honestly care less of how much of a gamer you are. I don't even consider myself a gamer anymore really, I'm just competitive.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
Unreal did just fine with a dual-analog controller, I had no problem hitting well predicted mid-air rockets :yeshrug:. UT2k4 has always been floaty, you've never played on a default server? I wouldn't know about JRPG's, like I said before, they don't appeal to me and I never played enough of them to know any differences. But I'm willing to put money that the majority of people:

-Don't remember the PS2 for JRPG's.
-Don't remember the good majority of those JRPG's.

I bet the majority of people who voted PS2 in this thread voted for the controller and games outside the ones you listed. I also bet that a good majority of those games were ported over to Xbox, which was the superior console. Even Gamecube had better hardware than PS2 :heh:. A lot of people at the time bought the PS2 when it dropped based off of having the PS1, Xbox came out later. People already had a console they were comfortable with so why buy another? That's where @ChrisDorner comes in. If the Xbox came out alongside the PS2 I'd also bet that it would have also sold more because it was the better system and have more votes in this thread. I could honestly care less of how much of a gamer you are. I don't even consider myself a gamer anymore really, I'm just competitive.

I don't agree with bolded, PS2 had a fukkton of jrpgs it would be nearly impossible to dismiss them, i had a hard time not having that list filled with them tbh and i still failed. And like i said before in this thread, with that logic why did the ps3 catch up to the 360 and it came out a whole year after it?

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
I don't agree with bolded, PS2 had a fukkton of jrpgs it would be nearly impossible to dismiss them, i had a hard time not having that list filled with them tbh and i still failed. And like i said before in this thread, with that logic why did the ps3 catch up to the 360 and it came out a whole year after it?

I believe it had to do with a lot of hype. Blu-Ray hype which meant nothing, Cell Processor hype which meant nothing, also it being pushed back for that spring release definitely helped bring up hype for a bigger release. Pushback due to the 360 red ring issues at launch and PS3 specifically stating that "they didn't want to release a faulty system :mjpls:" helped with sales, free online because people like free shyt regardless of quality, also 360 didn't have that impressive of a launch line-up, it was lucky to even be backwards compatible with Halo 2 to hold people over otherwise they would have been in deep shyt compared to PS3 which at launch had full BC. A lot of people were just fine with Halo 2, all the 360 did was make it look better and stated before if they already got something most people generally don't care about upgrading it. 360 launch line-up was underwhelming, it mostly consisted of games people thought twice about buying or already had it for OG Xbox. So sales slowed down since it really didn't have that one blockbuster game (CoD wasn't that hot back then) and Quake 4 looked like Doom 3 on steroids until Gears of War which came out Nov 7, 2006.

Pretty much it was because of a shytty 360 launch. It didn't come out with games that made you want to go out and buy the console along with the fact that no one wanted to pay $400 just for redrings. Also add all the hype that the PS3 had. You could be right concerning JRPG's as a whole community, but concerning the people participating in this thread I believe I have a case, I'd like to see the people who voted what was the first game that came to their mind when they voted.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Nikkas on here must've never played Jade Empire, Fable 1, Splinter Cell, KOTAR (& 2) on the OG Xbox, plus that's when 2k was really killing it and you may as well called that an exclusive to a degree cuz back then most cats who had the PS2 rocked more with Live and Madden

WhatsGoodTy

Ya feel me
Daps
Xbox had this one game I've been looking for it for years, but forgot the name of it. Anyway, obvious answer is PS2, but I always loved the GameCube.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
PS2 and it's not really close. That system had cult classics for days. I own close to 150 PS2 games and I'm not selling one.

XBox had it's share of piff considering that it came out over a year after and stopped really making games 2 years before Ps2.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Nikkas on here must've never played Jade Empire, Fable 1, Splinter Cell, KOTAR (& 2) on the OG Xbox, plus that's when 2k was really killing it and you may as well called that an exclusive to a degree cuz back then most cats who had the PS2 rocked more with Live and Madden
5 games outweigh all those PS2 classics?

:comeon:

all those games are also better on the PC btw

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
i'll give you kotar 1. thats 4 games worth a damn for me from the original xbox.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If we are talking about the games. Ps2 was better. If we are talking about the actual consoles Xbox was better

Xbox definitely had some must play games. But there's no denying the extensive catalog of great games on ps2

The ps2 hardware was unreliable. The Xbox hardware laid the groundwork for modern gaming as we know it.

Both are great pieces of gaming history

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
If we are talking about the games. Ps2 was better. If we are talking about the actual consoles Xbox was better

Xbox definitely had some must play games. But there's no denying the extensive catalog of great games on ps2

The ps2 hardware was unreliable. The Xbox hardware laid the groundwork for modern gaming as we know it.

Both are great pieces of gaming history
LOL I won't go that far. It was just the first console to step up.