Prodigy of Mobb Deep dead at 42

shopant

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This past June 20, the world lost one of its most talented and influential voices of all time when Albert Johnson, better known as Prodigy, lost his life-long fight with sickle-cell anemia. And as we all learn how to cope with such a huge loss, artists like DJ Concept are dealing with P’s passing the only way they know how: by providing art that pays tribute to the rapper’s incredible legacy.

For the Long Island, NY deejay/producer, this meant taking to his turntables and record collection to put together this brand-new mix, the fittingly titled RIP Prodigy. It’s a non-stop, 23-minute live mix that Concept recorded shortly after learning of the Queensbridge artist’s passing. It pays homage to the legendary emcee by showcasing many of the original samples that he rapped over, either as a solo artist or as one half of Mobb Deep.

“It’s my homage to Prodigy and his soundscape, which was very influential to my sound as a producer,” Concept explains. “Banging joints like ‘The Realest,’ ‘Keep It Thoro,’ ‘HNIC’... I remember thinking, ‘This is the sound I wish I could make.’”

'RIP Prodigy' kicks off with a chills-inducing a cappella recording of Prodigy rapping his opening bars of “Shook Ones Part II.” Then, you’re treated to more audio from P that pops up in between a slew of soul and funk originals that’ll leave you revisiting his and Mobb Deep’s catalogue all over again. #InfamousForever

:wow:
:bandanap5:

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
This past June 20, the world lost one of its most talented and influential voices of all time when Albert Johnson, better known as Prodigy, lost his life-long fight with sickle-cell anemia. And as we all learn how to cope with such a huge loss, artists like DJ Concept are dealing with P’s passing the only way they know how: by providing art that pays tribute to the rapper’s incredible legacy.

For the Long Island, NY deejay/producer, this meant taking to his turntables and record collection to put together this brand-new mix, the fittingly titled RIP Prodigy. It’s a non-stop, 23-minute live mix that Concept recorded shortly after learning of the Queensbridge artist’s passing. It pays homage to the legendary emcee by showcasing many of the original samples that he rapped over, either as a solo artist or as one half of Mobb Deep.

“It’s my homage to Prodigy and his soundscape, which was very influential to my sound as a producer,” Concept explains. “Banging joints like ‘The Realest,’ ‘Keep It Thoro,’ ‘HNIC’... I remember thinking, ‘This is the sound I wish I could make.’”

'RIP Prodigy' kicks off with a chills-inducing a cappella recording of Prodigy rapping his opening bars of “Shook Ones Part II.” Then, you’re treated to more audio from P that pops up in between a slew of soul and funk originals that’ll leave you revisiting his and Mobb Deep’s catalogue all over again. #InfamousForever

:wow:
:bandanap5:

TpVD0D9.png

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
This is as big a loss as 2Pac and Biggie Smalls to me. I still can't believe P.'s gone. The man even had a fukking home studio. Imagine if 2Pac or Biggie had that and the amount of songs they could of had in the vault. I bet P. will still be :blessed: us with new music as the years go by.

There's two things I don't want to happen to his legacy:
  1. His estate "2Pac's" his art by remixing it with other fukks he would never collab wit or his sound engineers leaking his music like what happened to 2Pac and Biggie during the late 90s.
  2. Giving his art the J. Dilla treatment and releasing his music or project in unmastered form and not even bothering to promote it.
:mjcry:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I haven't intentionally listened to anything other than Mobb or affiliates since P passed. I was on a flight for five hours and listened to nothing but Mobb :prodigylol:
Same here thunn!

As far as I know, no, but I suppose he's crushed.
Bravo put up a nice post. P's death also hit him hard. He also wrote in the comments that he and P planned to work in the future :ohhh: and that there are some unreleased "scattered" material. (let's hope we'll get that one day!)

Nice post. Sid Roams (Bravo and Joey Chavez) had so much work with P and Mobb that is underrated IMO. I feel selfish saying this so soon, but I do think that we will get a LOT of unreleased Prodigy and Mobb music coming down the pipe. besides Pac, or maybe even moreso, I can't think of anyone that has as much unreleased material.