giphy.gif

Sony Stan's Truly in #shambles

:wow:
:wow:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
No Man Sky does it correctly as well , but then you have Starfield where one of the main selling points are about hundreds of planets that are
procedurally generated and due to that , most of them are boring.
That's not even a good faith argument and you know it. I got about 550 hours in No Man's Sky. You see all that game has to offer in about a tenth of that time, less even. NMS has numbers but the depth of its procedural generation bottoms out very quickly. The only hand created content in that game is the rendezvous areas in the expeditions. The rest just relies on the procedural system to fill it out. To drive the point home, the main story doesn't even need to take place in Euclid. I joined a friend's session whi was in Essentiam while I was just starting. The game let's you refresh the quest and it will pick up anywhere you are.

I get that people like to elevate NMS as some content juggernaut, but if you're a long time player, you start to see that the added content is rather shallow. Expeditions only ran when they want them ran. Companions serve virtually zero purpose. Ships are interchangeable without even noticing - and the inventory update made this even worse. Combat used to be laughable; post update it's marginally better. Multi tools are just skins. Freighters are glorified storage containers.

None of this is too say that NMS is bad, because it's a pretty decent game. But if people are going to shyt on Starfield and its use of procedural generation, you cannot prop up NMS in the same breath.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
That's not even a good faith argument and you know it. I got about 550 hours in No Man's Sky. You see all that game has to offer in about a tenth of that time, less even. NMS has numbers but the depth of its procedural generation bottoms out very quickly. The only hand created content in that game is the rendezvous areas in the expeditions. The rest just relies on the procedural system to fill it out. To drive the point home, the main story doesn't even need to take place in Euclid. I joined a friend's session whi was in Essentiam while I was just starting. The game let's you refresh the quest and it will pick up anywhere you are.

I get that people like to elevate NMS as some content juggernaut, but if you're a long time player, you start to see that the added content is rather shallow. Expeditions only ran when they want them ran. Companions serve virtually zero purpose. Ships are interchangeable without even noticing - and the inventory update made this even worse. Combat used to be laughable; post update it's marginally better. Multi tools are just skins. Freighters are glorified storage containers.

None of this is too say that NMS is bad, because it's a pretty decent game. But if people are going to shyt on Starfield and its use of procedural generation, you cannot prop up NMS in the same breath.
The point of this thread is not to shyt on Starfield , I just think its the game that has suffered the most due to Procedural generation. Bethesda games like skyrim and fallout truly shined whenever you would start a quest , and on your way from point A to point B ..you would encounter all kind of things.

I think we can all agreed that a hand-crafted environment > procedurally generated environment.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And why this sub forum is trash. There is a legit conversation to be had about game design and the value of procedurally generated worlds, but Stan Wars™ ruins any genuine conversation.
Facts

Like there’s a few games where I feel like if they had crafted the levels themselves it would’ve been better

But right on que brehs on defense as usual, op came in with good intentions but let’s ruin that because insecurity :mjlol:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
a lot of games use procedural generation, but you might not know it. things like trees and mountains are often made using procedural generation. people associate procedural generation with randomness, but it really just means these things were created with algorithms. the randomness comes from the numbers (seeds) that are plugged into these algorithms. Minecraft selects a random seed when you create a new world, but if you and someone else use the same seed, you'll get the same world

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The point of this thread is not to shyt on Starfield , I just think its the game that has suffered the most due to Procedural generation. Bethesda games like skyrim and fallout truly shined whenever you would start a quest , and on your way from point A to point B ..you would encounter all kind of things.

I think we can all agreed that a hand-crafted environment > procedurally generated environment.
Skyrim and Fallout used the same exact procedural generation system as starfield.

Last edited:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
This seems like the new way to provide extra content to games , which very few are able to pull off successfully.

I think BloodBorne is the only one that does it right with their dungeons , and yet I wouldn't consider them 100% procedurally generated.

No Man Sky does it correctly as well , but then you have Starfield where one of the main selling points are about hundreds of planets that are
procedurally generated and due to that , most of them are boring.

There's a major difference in quality between a hand-crafted planet and one that's procedurally generated.
Bruh I like No Man's Sky but the procedural generation in No Man's Sky is not better than Starfield by any stretch of the imagination. I really don't think a lot of you have actually played these games. NMS is BEYOND redundant and it gets old FAST, because it is always the same shyt over and over again with no story or anything else. Also the combat is lackluster. The only thing NMS does better than Starfield is space travel seamlessly, but even then nobody is flying in real speed from planet to planet because that can take WEEKS in some occasions.

These complaints about Starfield are getting wierd, this game isn't perfect but for people to act like it's a bad game is fukking crazy to me.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps

I think we can all agreed that a hand-crafted environment procedurally generated environment.
How has Starfield suffered from PG, but NMS doesn't? NMS is almost 100% procedurally generated and has very little hand crafted content. Starfield has TONS of handcrafted content. This is a horrible take bruh, and is objectively wrong.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

Those encounters happen in Starfield, however some of the more interesting ones occur in space, which is easily skipped. I haven't finished the story, hopefully won't for a little while, but so far it seems like they send you to the hand crafted content.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Dead Cells, No Man's Sky

I've put so much time into dead cells.

I like that game quite a bit but I really do feel like the PG aspect (and roguelikes in general) just facilitate lazy developers.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
I've put so much time into dead cells.

I like that game quite a bit but I really do feel like the PG aspect (and roguelikes in general) just facilitate lazy developers.

I think it could be a good complement to to a game, with Dead Cells especially, you could have more focused levels and bosses with the PG parts being used for grinding or finding items. I wouldn't call it lazy because you still have to balance the game but it's definitely a crutch and a way to please publishers.