Good.

Now do more for Black folks and I  might vote this time around

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The amount of race-baiting in this thread is wild. Like WTF does generic "Africa" and HBCU's have in common unless you're trying to push a racist agenda?

This isn't just some random money thrown at HBCU executives like y'all claim it is, so why make that shyt up? You can just read the press report and see where the money has been going:

Between FY 2021 – FY 2023 the Biden-Harris Administration has taken historic actions to support HBCUs:

Invested over $11.4 billion in HBCUs, which includes:
  • Nearly $4 billion for HBCUs through the American Rescue Plan and other COVID relief legislation. These grants funded through the Department of Education and other agencies have helped HBCUs support students’ ability to meet basic needs; support campus operations, staffing, teaching, and educational programs; and keep campuses and the surrounding communities on the path to an equitable recovery;
  • $2.6 billion from the Department of Education to build institutional capacity at HBCUs. These efforts support the growth and sustainability of HBCU degree programs; increase and enhance human, technological, and physical infrastructure for research; strengthen positioning to secure direct partnership opportunities; and create sustainable fund development;
  • Over $1.6 billion to HBCUs through Federal grants, cooperative agreements, and other competitive funding opportunities that drive the advancement of academic and training programs, community-based initiatives, and research innovation across national priorities such as medicine and public health, climate science, agriculture, emerging technologies, and defense.
  • Almost $950 million to support HBCUs in growing research capacity and related infrastructure to better compete for Federal research and development dollars;
  • Nearly $719 million in grant funding to expand STEM academic capacity and educational programs; and in other high-wage, high-demand fields such as computer science, nursing, and allied health;
  • Over $150 million in Federal contracting opportunities awarded to HBCUs, including for research and expansion of STEM education programs at the Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Transportation, Department of Energy, and U.S. Agency for International Development;
  • $1.6 billion in capital finance debt relief for 45 public and private HBCUs. Discharging these debts has enabled these institutions to focus resources on supporting students, faculty, and staff while recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic; and
  • Over $2.4 million in Project SERV funds to support HBCUs affected by more than a dozen bomb threats in 2022. These grants have helped restore safe learning environments and invest in student mental health and well-being for students.

In addition to the over $11 billion provided to HBCUs, the Biden-Harris Administration has provided over $4 billion to support the success of HBCU-enrolled students through:
  • $2.8 billion in need-based grants and other Federal programs, including Pell Grants, Federal Work-Study and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, to assist HBCU students in affording a postsecondary education; and
  • Nearly $1.3 billion to support Veterans attending HBCUs through the GI bill and other college, graduate school, and training programs delivered through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

That’s a mighty bold claim you made from my comment, but not surprising coming from you.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
For those who read. The $16 billion is funds allocated from FY21-23. Most of the money is for supporting HBCUs, not going to them directly.

From the list I posted, it looked like over $11 billion went to HBCU institutions directly for various specific programs they are running and over $4 billion went towards grants for HBCU students. How much of the money are you seeing that isn't going to HBCU's?

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
From the list I posted, it looked like over $11 billion went to HBCU institutions directly for various specific programs they are running and over $4 billion went towards grants for HBCU students. How much of the money are you seeing that isn't going to HBCU's?
I guess I have to take an L. I tried looking up specifics and didn't find much.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Live footage of #BothSides

OZLi.gif

Did this dude survive?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Something no one had noted so far is that this was the first presidential ticket in history to include an HBCU grad. I wonder how much Kamala's pride in her Howard degree has played in their prioritization of HBCUs?

bright black

All Star
Daps
Isnt this just what they already owed? I remember something about black schools being underfunded for decades

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Isnt this just what they already owed? I remember something about black schools being underfunded for decades

You're definitely right that HBCU's are owed money and underfunded, but that's from the state governments, not the federal. This money is completely different.

The Biden Administration is who drew attention to the underfunding and personally called out state governments for not doing enough:

"Land-grant, historically Black colleges and universities have missed out on more than $13 billion they should have gotten in the last three decades or so, according to letters the Biden administration sent to the governors of 16 states appealing to them to invest more money in HBCUs.

Education Secretary Miguel Cardona and Agriculture Secretary Thomas Vilsack sent letters to the governors of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, North Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Cardona and Vilsack cited data from the National Center for Education Statistics and found that the gap in funding "could have supported infrastructure and student services and would have better positioned the university to compete for research grants," and that the HBCUs "would be much stronger and better positioned to serve its students, your state, and the nation if made whole with respect to this funding gap."

"Over all, 16 of the country’s 19 historically Black land-grant universities have been underfunded by their states by a total of $13 billion, according to the federal analysis of per-student state spending data from 1987 to 2020. Only two states, Ohio and Delaware, were found to have equitably funded their HBCU land grants. The other states’ institutions had funding gaps between $172 million to $2.14 billion compared with their predominantly white counterparts."

In Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, Texas, and North Carolina specifically, the per-student gap in funding between what they were giving White students and what they were giving Black students amounted to over a billion dollars in each state.