Polygon: How EA nearly ruined Titanfall (and Apex Legends brought it back)

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Polygon :mjlol:
Titanfall 2 did it to themselves. The skill floor was to high for beginners, all that wall running takes time to get adjusted to. Hop in a game and immediately die from some dude zipping and bouncing off walls aint fun. ApexL is way more accessible with the high ttk and no wall running.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Titanfall 2 did it to themselves. The skill floor was to high for beginners, all that wall running takes time to get adjusted to. Hop in a game and immediately die from some dude zipping and bouncing off walls aint fun. ApexL is way more accessible with the high ttk and no wall running.

Only on the coli would someone post that the “skill gap” involving wall running(which was not as prominent as in the first game) is too high :dead:

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
No nikka.. The wall running and titans turned me off.

That's cool if you didn't care for those features, but the game was actually good, just suffered from being released between two bigger franchises. TF2 pretty much corrected a lot of issues the first one had and had a solid shooting mechanic. Just didn't have the peoples support it needed. :yeshrug:

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's cool if you didn't care for those features, but the game was actually good, just suffered from being released between two bigger franchises. TF2 pretty much corrected a lot of issues the first one had and had a solid shooting mechanic. Just didn't have the peoples support it needed. :yeshrug:
Everyone saying this.. Truth be told people buy what they like and people don't want to run around as titans and shyt. That shyt was a instant turnoff for me and probably others. Games are only $65 so how hard is it to buy all 3?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Lol people ain't checking for no titans.. Wall running is garbage.. Apex is successful because they took all the dumb shyt out of titanfall..
:whoa:
Chill breh, I know you fukk with APEX heavy, but trust me... Titanfall's movement with wall running and the grapple hook is GOAT status in a FPS. It failed because they released them in windows where nobody was going to pick TF over the other competing shooters that were dropping around that same time.

Also, the Titans were fun in this game but they could also get fukked up by pilots, so they weren't crazy OP like tanks and helicopters in Battlefield and shyt.

I remember doing this shyt in TF1...
:banderas:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Everyone saying this.. Truth be told people buy what they like and people don't want to run around as titans and shyt. That shyt was a instant turnoff for me and probably others. Games are only $65 so how hard is it to buy all 3?
shyt was dope but choosing between battlefield, cod, and titanfall then its an easy choice for most - and once you lose that early energy you aint gettin it back. shyt got drowned out quick

game was amazing and i never touched a titan if i didn't have to

and i've never brought 3 big new releases in the same few weeks :picard:

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps

It doesn't come down to buying all 3 it's which of the 3 would you pick up? Two are very established franchises, one is a game that's rebounding off a bad first iteration. :manny:

How many FPS games are you really running/rotating through at one time?

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Man I grew up on Tribes

Nikkas whining cuz of skill :hhh:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps

No offense but you come across as someone who either still lives at home or just totally dismissive of other people’s situation. 60 may not be something to you but to a college kid, someone struggling, or someone with other priorities it’s a lot. And choosing between two well established franchises and one that is still new is not that difficult.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:whoa:
Chill breh, I know you fukk with APEX heavy, but trust me... Titanfall's movement with wall running and the grapple hook is GOAT status in a FPS. It failed because they released them in windows where nobody was going to pick TF over the other competing shooters that were dropping around that same time.

Also, the Titans were fun in this game but they could also get fukked up by pilots, so they weren't crazy OP like tanks and helicopters in Battlefield and shyt.

I remember doing this shyt in TF1...
:banderas:

If titanfall 2 failed because release date then why did titanfall 1 fail?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If titanfall 2 failed because release date then why did titanfall 1 fail?
I think TF1 failed because they didn't put it out on PS4. The game came out during the Spring, and I think the last big shooter that was getting burn on PS4 was like BF4 at the time. It was a missed opportunity, but MS was pushing it to be their next big console shooter, but the Xbox didn't have the clout or user base to make the game a hit like the PS4 could have.

Had it dropped at the same time on PS4 it probably would have been a big success because PS4 users only had the traditional multiplats to play (COD and BF) and Killzone which was a dud.

PS4 dropped in 2013, Titanfall released in March 2014. They would of had a better shot at carving out a fanbase on PS4 IMO with TF1

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Titanfall is one of the GOAT FPS ever to me...

Titanfall 2 still gets burn. It’s actually better than APEX gameplay wise but APEX is more team based, slower paced, and harder to kill with the armor up.

I expect Titanfall 3 to be just as flames with Apex being apart of it somehow

Crazy how people didn’t even know a lot of the guns in Apex was from Titanfall

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Spoken like a nikka that never even watched the game yet alone played it:mjlol:

I guess if it’s not free on PS4 nikkas won’t touch it. Not like yall known for FPS anyway