PlayStation 5 shipments reach 7.8 Million units as of March 31st (fastest selling console ever)

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
7dm2e3vylwy51-e1606211019901.jpg
:russ:

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I read the detailed FY breakdown thread over at Resetera. That one guy over there does a really good job of visualizing the numbers.

A couple of my takeaways:

The breakdown of physical sales vs digital sales in FY2020.
  • I immediately thought of Cyberpunk. CDprojekt lost out on millions of sales when it was delisted on PSN. Sure, I guess we can say it was obvious but I never realized how much digital outpaced physical sales…especially during a pandemic.

In this past quarter game sales were down year over year. But revenue was up from add-on/DLC.

• My takeaway mirrors my own experience and what I see from people in my circle. Less games being purchased. Games as a service have taken over. People are just buying season/battle passes on these Warzone/Fortnite/Apex etc style games. Game sales are down despite the fact that hardware sales are up over 300%. Software attach rate must be poor. If it continues, this actually favours services like Game Pass. People are much more conditioned these days to pay for subscriptions and then they double down on games that they actually like (buying DLC and such)