Platinum offering their gussy up for sale like a cheap whore, begs for acquisition

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
One flop can wreck a company. Independent companies get to make what they want inside the limits of the funding they have. See Double Fine. Sold out to Microsoft and got the resources to drastically improve the game they wanted to make in Psychonauts 2 adding things like boss fights to the game. Game development is expensive and takes more resources that many of these small to medium companies can get.

There's a reason so many independent studios target the look and feel of 2 and a half to 3 decade old games.

Edge of Eternity the JRPG like game is a perfect example. An independent studio tried to make a more modern looking game and people look at it, call it janky and just say no. They could have made it look like a SNES RPG and people probably would have received it better. Midgar Studios did get to make the game they wanted but right after sold out to a larger company because small to medium studios catch hell trying to overcome limited resources.

Well, that's true, but this is really for any company that pushes products. In Plat's case it feels moreso like mismanagement, and bad management can sink any company, they knew that coming in. I don't really think there's a woe is me story when it comes to Plat.

I do agree with you on Edge of Eternity, but I do actually think that game did well. I also believe it was crowdfunded, the team that made that game I'm pretty sure did ok on it, it wasn't a smash hit, but they did enough to keep afloat and keep grinding.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Sega is the most realistic choice is due to them own most of PG's IPs and can give them the creative freedom they desire like how Atlus is operating within Sega. If Square Enix is on the table, then their games needs to do big numbers, unless Kamiya wants to find himself leaving like Yuji Naka. If Bandai Namco and Capcom (which would be very ironic) are interested, then that can help them, but those companies would have to buy the IPs from Sega.

Kamiya ain’t stupid he isn’t going anywhere. He’s seen what happens when people like himself go off and do they own thing, Naka, Inafune, & Itagaki. all these dudes shown these AAA companies aint putting up with their bs, and egos like Kamiya ain’t about to bend that knee.

Best case scenario P* gets bought but given autonomy and Kamiya deals with the a$$holes he know.

Last edited:

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
Kamiya ain’t stupid he isn’t going anywhere. He’s seen what happens when people like himself go off and do they own thing, Naka, Inafune, & Itagaki. all these dudes shown these AAA companies aint putting up with their bs, and egos like Kamiya ain’t about to bend that knee.

Best case scenario P* gets bought but given autonomy and Kamiya deals with the a$$holes he know.
I was using Kamiya as an example, I don't see him acting out and destroying his reputation like the three you mentioned (you could've said the same with Yu Suzuki, but Shenmue 3 didn't become an big disaster like the other three games turned out) . I was saying that in an way that P* won't mesh well with SE due to their insanely high sells expectations, even if the game is an critical success, seeing as a lot of people outside of this site wants the company to acquire them.