Photos Of 1850s-1880s Black America

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Having worked at the Blacks in Wax Museum in Baltimore, I've seen a multitude of photography from this era and each one seems to dig into your subconscious. So many layers to unpack.
:wow: Went there when I was little. Very impactful.

2812-1-jpeg.jpg
:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::dwillhuh::dwillhuh::gladbron:

Paschal Beverly Randolph - Wikipedia

Books by Randolph, Paschal Beverly (sorted by popularity)

invalid

Banned
Daps

A pair of former Slaves, photographed after their escape

:mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:

They were so young.

Reminds me of the young brehs I see out here in Chicago just trying to survive.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.:wow:

He certainly had an interesting and eccentric life. These are the stories that I love to hear about.
Motivates me to have had my own eccentric story to tell when it's all over.

invalid

Banned
Daps
b8c52917ebb6cf0844a1be3fcd50afbb.jpg

Wilson Chinn, a sixty year old former slave was branded on the forehead with his owner's initials, 'V. B. M.' Chinn is wearing a contraption and irons designed to prevent slave escapes. At lower left is a slave paddle. Ca. 1864.

This NOBLE black man just got me HYPED. No matter the fact that his owner has his name imprinted on him. No matter the fact that he is enchained from head to foot....................................

Look at that resolve on his face. :dwillhuh:

It's like he's telling the photographer "Don't let them fukk up and take these irons off :ufdup:.........."

:wow:

Edub

Veteran
Daps
Sadly in 135 years or so aint much changed, still salves to the game. We might have even less power now then we had then.

Powerful pictures
After 135 years and not much has changed huh.......:stopitslime:.....im all for calling out the bullshyt of today....but seriously let’s not disrespect these ancestors trying to act like our woes compare to theirs....because they don’t slime :what:....not even close.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I see a lot of dumbass statements on this site, but this right here is the winner.
If you and whoever reads that doesn't have enough deduction skills to understand the statement then :manny:

But go ahead and flex some of that "power" that we have acquired in america as black people so I can see it in action.

Wait! You're going to tell me we can walk on the same roads as white people, that we aren't slaves physically to white supremacy, passing laws, getting money and can move around freely right?

:blessed: "No one group should have all that power"

:comeon: