Phil ”The Don” Spencer to receive lifetime achievement at dice awards

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I don't know if he should be getting an award though. His achievements are mostly internal to the company. They haven't materialized externally to change the landscape of things quite yet. Microsoft still lags behind Sony and Nintendo and his bet on Game Pass hasn't changed that yet. This is like celebrating a chess players success in the middle of a game he's yet to win.

I actually agree with this. He still hasn't done things that would be mentioned in the intro to his HOF speech if we were an athlete. He's still in his prime. However, I view this as an acknowledgement from his peers that he will likely land in the conversation of gaming's mount rushmore when it is all said and done. His contributions carry further and reverberate more because he is in charge at Microsoft so they have an outsized effect. He still has to 'win' technically but the conversation has moved from if he will to when he does.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Phil is a visionary and he deserves the praise…he got satella on board because he didn’t budge and finally had cold hard numbers that his plan was starting to work

Some news just came out that he was even doubted by some Xbox staff at the beginning g

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
dikk riding is on 100 in this thread.
No this is no different that talking about how
Kaz Hirai re-defined Playstation after Ken Kataragi totally fukked up or how amazing of an executive Satoru Iwata was even when he fukked up with the Wii U and how he started the Switch.

Some of these executives are next level and some of them are either fukk ups or just ride on the coat tails of what the previous one did.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean you can play online between PS and Xbox and even PC and Switch on the same games and first party console games from both are on PC now. Both happened due to his influence but that's for the worst right?
Are you talking about cross play in general or cross play between Xbox and Playstation? Because if it's the former, the Playstation technically had crossplay dating back to the Dreamcast era with Capcom vs Snk 2(Japan only) allowing crossplay between the Dreamcast and PS2, two different consoles.

I know you're most likely to say you're talking about Xbox and you'll bring up Fortnite/Rocket-League which was just a moment MSFT used to capitalize off of Sony's reluctance at that time.

People keep saying Sony never allowed crossplay before this but yet Sony was doing crossplay with PC games before.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Are you talking about cross play in general or cross play between Xbox and Playstation? Because if it's the former, the Playstation technically had crossplay dating back to the Dreamcast era with Capcom vs Snk 2(Japan only) allowing crossplay between the Dreamcast and PS2, two different consoles.

I know you're most likely to say you're talking about Xbox and you'll bring up Fortnite/Rocket-League which was just a moment MSFT used to capitalize off of Sony's reluctance at that time.

People keep saying Sony never allowed crossplay before this but yet Sony was doing crossplay with PC games before.
I'm talking about cross play between PS, Xbox, Switch, and PC or different combinations of those. That wasn't something allowed before he got involved.

I'm talking about first party console makers putting their exclusive titles on PC. Before Phil Spencer as head of Xbox went with that it was borderline unheard of.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm talking about cross play between PS, Xbox, Switch, and PC or different combinations of those. That wasn't something allowed before he got involved.
Well yeah, my point stands. Sony actually had cross play already unless you don't count PC/PS3/PS2 as crossplay.

I'm talking about first party console makers putting their exclusive titles on PC. Before Phil Spencer as head of Xbox went with that it was borderline unheard of.
That's a different topic.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Well yeah, my point stands. Sony actually had cross play already unless you don't count PC/PS3/PS2 as crossplay.

That's a different topic.
Not with Nintendo and Microsoft. I'm talking about competing platforms. It wasn't typically done.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm talking explicitly about what he's done since being in charge of Xbox since 2014. Took an ENTIRE GEN off after promising great things each and every year he was in charge. And he gets a pass for it.

ITWAN

Microsoft got a new CEO back then. Once he said they are all in on gaming it's pretty much over. They done bought 2 big publishers in the last 2 years with some of the biggest games. They're not just focused on console gaming, they're focused on gaming anywhere. PC games release the same date as Xbox games. Gonna be interesting once them exclusives start hitting.