Phil ”The Don” Spencer to receive lifetime achievement at dice awards

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Congrats, I guess?

He's built up a ton of goodwill for Xbox, but I really don't know enough about his career to say he does or doesn't deserve a lifetime achievement award.

All I know is I need him to get these studios delivering piff that I care about for my Series X in the immediate future.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
he better thank nadella. that blue cloud changed everything

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
That isn't it here. Everyone else was white save for Shane Kim. He's the one like Neo. He's the one who got the CEO to believe and invest.

Everyone else was head of Xbox. Peter Moore, Robbie Bach, Don Mattrick, Shane Kim, J. Allard, etc. They were in charge of Xbox, the side project, the thing Bill Gates didn't understand and what Steve Ballmer didn't want.

Phil is in charge of Microsoft gaming. He has a seat at the big boy table that the others did not have and the title has the company name not the sideshow name. To get to this point, I know he's done five lifetimes worth of work.

Relax, bruh.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Relax, bruh.

No breh, because we do the shyts and giggles, trolling here and there. I love the business of things. I'm an accountant off this board (@Thatrogueassdiaz can vouch for me) so numbers are my life and I look at them intently. Take the plastic boxes out of the equation for a second and lets be serious. Has no one but me here ever thought that the world's most wealthiest company, a software company in fact, entered into a sector of software and didn't dominate over time, ever think about the why? I mean, the news was largely public. Microsoft proper didn't care about the Xbox. As crazy as it sounds, that is the truth. Steve Ballmer specifically didn't care about the Xbox. It was just some shyt the nerds did and heres a few billion, leave us alone because we got Windows and Office we got over here rolling. Bethesda and Activision are largely due to circumstance so I won't laud him for that as they just happened on his watch. Everything else? Yeah, that's all him.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/05/mic...ng-attention-to-gaming-phil-spencer-says.html

Microsoft has been in the gaming business since the turn of the century. Finally it matters to the company from a financial standpoint.

“Amy Hood, our CFO, she likes to tell me I’ve made the spreadsheet now, and she says that can be a good thing, and I’m on the spreadsheet. So she’s going to pay attention,” Microsoft’s executive vice president for gaming, Phil Spencer, said on stage at the Barclays Global Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference in San Francisco on Wednesday.

Breh, this article was written in 2018. The first Xbox came out in 2001. They simply didn't care, Xbox was a hobby. At the end of the day, everyone before him failed to convince Microsoft to go all in.

He frankly hasn't missed since he's been driving the bus.

Minecraft purchase was his driving force and didn't stop when he was initially denied.

Microsoft’s purchase of Minecraft might have been one of the smartest purchases they have made in the last decade or so- it gives them control of a multi-billion dollar cross media franchise, it gives them a brand to introduce kids to their ecosystem early on, and it gives them yet another consumer facing brand.

However, as it turns out, Microsoft could have bought the property as early as 2011- and the only reason they did was because of Xbox boss Phil Spencer’s persistence.

“Early in Microsoft’s relationship with Mojang, before I was CEO, Phil presented an opportunity to purchase Minecraft, but Phil’s boss at the time chose not to move forward,” Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said in his new book, Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft’s Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone (via Yahoo Finance )

Nadella goes on to praise Spencer. “For some, such a visible, high-level rejection could have been withering, but Phil didn’t give up,” he says, continuing the story which culminates with Microsoft buying the property in 2014.

It wasn't till 2017 that Spencer even started reporting to Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft. before that, again, Xbox was just some shyt that Microsoft did. Imagine Ken Kuturagi or Kaz Hirai not having a direct line to Sony's CEO. Hell, Kaz left from leading Playstation to become Sony CEO for a time.

Phil Spencer is movin' on up at Microsoft

Spencer was just added to Microsoft’s Senior Leadership Team, a 16-person group that’s made up of executives and board of directors members. Apart from his increased influence over decisions, it’s said that Spencer will now report directly to CEO Satya Nadella. Before, Spencer reported to Terry Myerson, who is the executive vice president of the Windows and Devices Group. The promotion also comes with a title bump from “head of Xbox” to “executive vice president of gaming.”

Gamepass is 100% Phil Spencer.

Microsoft’s Videogame Boss and the Long Battle to Reinvent the Company

Mr. Spencer was at the center of pushing this strategy forward. In meetings, Mr. Spencer’s staff would present arguments for why Game Pass wouldn’t work—publishers wouldn’t participate, or it would eat into profits—recalled Mr. Irving, the former Xbox staffer. But Mr. Spencer wouldn’t relent.

“He wouldn’t take no for an answer,” said Mr. Irving, who was present at those early meetings. “He was always trying to find a way to make it work.”

Sarah Bond, a corporate vice president in the Xbox group, joined in 2017 right when Game Pass launched and has watched Mr. Spencer slowly build his vision piece by piece.

“He is an extraordinarily patient man,” said Ms. Bond. “He thinks of things in arcs of time far longer than me. He often encourages me to be patient.”

Speaking of the WSJ article, this is the headline pic.

Screenshot-2022-02-04-002400.png

Now, he has the weight of the company behind it as his ascent has been relatively public. So sure, there is a cult of personality that follows him and I indulge in it here and there but since the bright lights have come on him, he's been Jordan in game 6 every single time.

My following of Microsoft as a preference comes down to three reasons, I prefer their controller to the others, variety of game genres due to my PC master race leanings and I believe that Microsoft can push gaming further than anyone else possibly can. Flight Simulator 2020 is a prime example of that last one. No one in the world can create that game but Microsoft. Microsoft can do anything that Sony/Nintendo does with enough time and money. You can't reverse the names in that last sentence and it still be true. Phil has all of this at his disposal and he's given no indication that he doesn't know what he's doing with it.

Until proven otherwise, he is the one.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
He's the one who got the CEO to believe and invest.

Everyone else was head of Xbox. Peter Moore, Robbie Bach, Don Mattrick, Shane Kim, J. Allard, etc. They were in charge of Xbox, the side project, the thing Bill Gates didn't understand and what Steve Ballmer didn't want..
People here will never acknowledge this. Phil Spencer got Microsoft's CEO to mobilize behind Xbox. Until that happened what the division could do was limited. They were reporting to the head of the Windows division an afterthought. Phil Spencer convinced Nadella to buy Minecraft and a few years into that the executive team recognized it was one of their best acquisitions ever and the CEO is like let's do more of this.

All that took years to unfold. The transformation into Game Pass. His team told him it couldn't work. Phil said were doing it and got Nadella on board with that too.

People aren't grasping the gravity of getting the CEO of a 2 trillion dollar company to support your vision. They think you just flip a switch and games fall from the sky.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
People here will never acknowledge this. Phil Spencer got Microsoft's CEO to mobilize behind Xbox. Until that happened what the division could do was limited. They were reporting to the head of the Windows division an afterthought. Phil Spencer convinced Nadella to buy Minecraft and a few years into that the executive team recognized it was one of their best acquisitions ever and the CEO is like let's do more of this.

All that took years to unfold. The transformation into Game Pass. His team told him it couldn't work. Phil said were doing it and got Nadella on board with that too.

People aren't grasping the gravity of getting the CEO of a 2 trillion dollar company to support your vision. They think you just flip a switch and games fall from the sky.

That's always been the thing. Microsoft's biggest enemy has never been Sony, until Phil Spencer and more importantly, Satya Nadella came on board, their biggest enemy was themselves. Remember all those warchest jokes in the past about Microsoft not using it for gaming? Oddly enough, I don't see those jokes no more.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No breh, because we do the shyts and giggles, trolling here and there. I love the business of things. I'm an accountant off this board (@Thatrogueassdiaz can vouch for me) so numbers are my life and I look at them intently. Take the plastic boxes out of the equation for a second and lets be serious. Has no one but me here ever thought that the world's most wealthiest company, a software company in fact, entered into a sector of software and didn't dominate over time, ever think about the why? I mean, the news was largely public. Microsoft proper didn't care about the Xbox. As crazy as it sounds, that is the truth. Steve Ballmer specifically didn't care about the Xbox. It was just some shyt the nerds did and heres a few billion, leave us alone because we got Windows and Office we got over here rolling. Bethesda and Activision are largely due to circumstance so I won't laud him for that as they just happened on his watch. Everything else? Yeah, that's all him.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/05/mic...ng-attention-to-gaming-phil-spencer-says.html

Breh, this article was written in 2018. The first Xbox came out in 2001. They simply didn't care, Xbox was a hobby. At the end of the day, everyone before him failed to convince Microsoft to go all in.

He frankly hasn't missed since he's been driving the bus.

Minecraft purchase was his driving force and didn't stop when he was initially denied.

It wasn't till 2017 that Spencer even started reporting to Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft. before that, again, Xbox was just some shyt that Microsoft did. Imagine Ken Kuturagi or Kaz Hirai not having a direct line to Sony's CEO. Hell, Kaz left from leading Playstation to become Sony CEO for a time.

Phil Spencer is movin' on up at Microsoft

Gamepass is 100% Phil Spencer.

Microsoft’s Videogame Boss and the Long Battle to Reinvent the Company

Speaking of the WSJ article, this is the headline pic.

Screenshot-2022-02-04-002400.png

Now, he has the weight of the company behind it as his ascent has been relatively public. So sure, there is a cult of personality that follows him and I indulge in it here and there but since the bright lights have come on him, he's been Jordan in game 6 every single time.

My following of Microsoft as a preference comes down to three reasons, I prefer their controller to the others, variety of game genres due to my PC master race leanings and I believe that Microsoft can push gaming further than anyone else possibly can. Flight Simulator 2020 is a prime example of that last one. No one in the world can create that game but Microsoft. Microsoft can do anything that Sony/Nintendo does with enough time and money. You can't reverse the names in that last sentence and it still be true. Phil has all of this at his disposal and he's given no indication that he doesn't know what he's doing with it.

Until proven otherwise, he is the one.

Holy shyt :mjlol:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That's always been the thing. Microsoft's biggest enemy has never been Sony, until Phil Spencer and more importantly, Satya Nadella came on board, their biggest enemy was themselves. Remember all those warchest jokes in the past about Microsoft not using it for gaming? Oddly enough, I don't see those jokes no more.
I don't know if he should be getting an award though. His achievements are mostly internal to the company. They haven't materialized externally to change the landscape of things quite yet. Microsoft still lags behind Sony and Nintendo and his bet on Game Pass hasn't changed that yet. This is like celebrating a chess players success in the middle of a game he's yet to win.