Phil Spencer Comes Out Against "Cancel" Culture

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
You don’t “dog whistle” and then say the exact opposite of what the people you are whistling to want to here. :comeon:

That's actually exactly how dog whistles work. They're supposed to be covert.

Idk how recent this shyt is, but he could very likely be referring to that developer that got fired over transphobic shyt on their social media recently, and wants the industry to *love* and *include* him instead of firing him and removing him from the industry.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Idk how recent this shyt is, but he could very likely be referring to that developer that got fired over transphobic shyt on their social media recently, and wants the industry to *love* and *include* him instead of firing him and removing him from the industry.
Yeah they are covert, but not in the mix of literately the opposite shyt. Like trump Dog whistles, but he also wouldn’t talk about how great diversity is:comeon:

Dude been consistently on the opposite side of maga.

And really saying the same thing he said in this speech for years.
This widespread embrace of gaming and its global communities have turned video games into the world’s leading cultural industry, bigger than movies or music. But it also comes at a time when digital life includes a growing toxic stew of hate speech, bigotry and misogyny.

gaming is uniquely designed for equality. We don’t just walk in someone’s shoes – we stand on equal footing, regardless of age, education, socioeconomics, race, religion, politics, gender, orientation, ethnicity, nationality, or ability. Gaming doesn’t just bring stereotype-defying gamers together; it unites us through our universal language of fun and answers our human need to play. Research has shown an effective way to battle polarization and prejudice is through relationships with people outside our own groups, known as intergroup contact theory.
Magas was mad as fukk at him for stuff like this, but now you saying he’s been on their side all along and he’s somehow now defending bigotry cause he said the word “cancellation” :francis:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

So you think @Gizmo_Duck is a MAGA cac as he daps your posts??? :ohhh:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
GTA5 online, COD, Gears of War 3 online I've heard way too much crazy shyt. I rock with Sony cause there's more games I can play by myself without hearing the n word every second:mjpls:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Context matters.

The entire speech was about inclusiveness and love. And was more so challenging devs and leaders to stop all the online nastiness that goes on around gaming.

“Culture of cancelation” was probably a bad choice of words, but judging by his record and the rest of the speech it wasn’t a call to arms for the maga crowd.

In the context of gaming it’s been the maga crowd doing all the “criticizing” “canceling”
"Spencer also encouraged fellow business leaders in the industry to “turn away from dividing players and creators, and instead towards each other and amplify joy together.”

Look at what's in bold. The only way this makes sense - going by the history of outrage from reactionary gamers - is if he's telling them to not make decisions that cause division. Those decisions are often simple things like having non-white characters as mains or de-emphasizing male characters.

Further, developers and leaders aren't the ones fostering the nastiness. It's the reactionary fans. Developers/leaders often times are coming to the defense of their peers whom are under attack by those reactionaries, because of a decision that goes against the status quo.

Let's look at how one of the largest sites for gamer-gate/comics-gate idiots took the statement:

While most of the Western video game industry has taken to using their respective releases as a means to grandstand about their personal beliefs and virtue signal against anyone who disagrees, Xbox head Phil Spencer has come to admire those developers who have refused to let such artificial attempts at division from governing their operations.

His statement was bad enough that people are using it to re-affirm their backwards beliefs.

It was a dog whistle.

All cacs believe in that shyt, no matter how progressive they wanna front.
Right, it's all coded language. He went easy on the abusive fans while chiding developers. I'm wary of anyone talking that division crap too.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
"Spencer also encouraged fellow business leaders in the industry to “turn away from dividing players and creators, and instead towards each other and amplify joy together.”

Look at what's in bold. The only way this makes sense - going by the history of outrage from reactionary gamers - is if he's telling them to not make decisions that cause division. Those decisions are often simple things like having non-white characters as mains or de-emphasizing male characters.

Further, developers and leaders aren't the ones fostering the nastiness. It's the reactionary fans. Developers/leaders often times are coming to the defense of their peers whom are under attack by those reactionaries, because of a decision that goes against the status quo.

Let's look at how one of the largest sites for gamer-gate/comics-gate idiots took the statement:

His statement was bad enough that people are using it to re-affirm their backwards beliefs.

Right, it's all coded language. He went easy on the abusive fans while chiding developers. I'm wary of anyone talking that division crap too.
Ummm hmmm

These cacs ain’t slick

Remember all the :mjpls: for Halo 5

Gottta go back to the white man savin the day , can’t have hero nikkas :mjpls:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Again in every other context he’s the one talking about adding POC, Women, etc to games. You can’t just waive away career history to create a narrative that you want to create.

Here he is talking about Business leaders working to improve the relationship between devs and players. As we all know the shyt is toxic and death threats get thrown around daily which leads to devs either not talking to users or lashing out in anger.
The quote has nothing to do with the content within the games. But the decisions executives like himself make to protect and support both devs and users.

Again he’s talked about this plenty of times.

He’s been on the wrong side of them for years :comeon:

They did what maga cacs do. Try to fan flames and claim validity to their nasty shyt based on an out of context quote. :comeon:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’m not white and im not the head of a gaming division at microsoft so im not sure why you keep trying to deflect to me?

Focus on your white daddy phil and his MAGA ideals :ufdup:
Hey man.

Sony stan’s gotta keep that same energy.

You have personally campaigned against “cancel culture”

Sony stan’s in here told me that makes you a MAGA cac.

Take it up with them.:ufdup:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I guess I’ll never understand the need to defend a rich white man

Can’t wait for Phil to bring out his token Bed Wench to prove us wrong:francis:
stop-it-get-some-help.gif

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
if we being real, you know TheColi would get "cancelled" instantly by twitter standards. lets not pretend. all the jews, hoes,bytches, cacs, spicy brehs,fakkits, retards, etc. this forum would get the work if it went mainstream. shyt OP uses the word retard a lot and thats a big no no you getting cancelled word. I believe gen z refers to it as the "r" word.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
if we being real, you know TheColi would get "cancelled" instantly by twitter standards. lets not pretend. all the jews, hoes,bytches, cacs, spicy brehs,fakkits, retards, etc. this forum would get the work if it went mainstream. shyt OP uses the word retard a lot and thats a big no no you getting cancelled word. I believe gen z refers to it as the "r" word.
And that's the fundamental flaw of cancel culture. It's more about keeping score and retaliation against people who do or say things you don't like or approve of more than anything else. Weaponizing a mob to tear people down. Doing stuff like combing through decade old Twitter post trying to find something someone said a long time ago and pin it on them today to create a backlash against them.

People have some really dumb beliefs and behavior born of ignorance that needs to be challenged rather than them simply being canceled for it.

There's an open tolerance here for stuff that would get people canceled in everyday life if they went on to become someone of influence and what they said was pinned on them.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
And that's the fundamental flaw of cancel culture. It's more about keeping score and retaliation against people who do or say things you don't like or approve of more than anything else. Weaponizing a mob to tear people down. Doing stuff like combing through decade old Twitter post trying to find something someone said a long time ago and pin it on them today to create a backlash against them.

People have some really dumb beliefs and behavior born of ignorance that needs to be challenged rather than them simply being canceled for it.

There's an open tolerance here for stuff that would get people canceled in everyday life if they went on to become someone of influence and what they said was pinned on them.
Ya. I desperately wanna pin these problems on them hillbilly alt right morons, but the facts is most of us food out here even if we didnt mean personal harm by our language.