Phil Spencer Comes Out Against "Cancel" Culture

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
funny thing is the thread on Resetera is more reasonable than here
ResetERA sits back and keeps reference to everything anybody does. If you were friends with someone that did something they don’t like the moment you get brought up somebody is running in the thread to remind them of that fact.

That whole place was birthed because some geek hopped in the shower with a chick thinking he was gonna smash and got rejected. The entire place is just a hivemind mob looking for their next victim.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
"Spencer also encouraged fellow business leaders in the industry to “turn away from dividing players and creators, and instead towards each other and amplify joy together.”

Don't do anything to upset up the [white male] status quo! This is the same argument you hear from people crying about how gaming has supposedly become too "woke."

"It's supposed to be about fun.... leave the social issues out of it!"

Anybody whining about so-called cancel culture is full of shyt anyway.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Spencer also encouraged fellow business leaders in the industry to “turn away from dividing players and creators, and instead towards each other and amplify joy together.”

Don't do anything to upset up the [white male] status quo! This is the same argument you hear from people crying about how gaming has supposedly become too "woke."

I was just checking playing the Witcher 3 and the armorer quest has you deciding what to do with a dwarf who is fronting like he’s a master but it’s really a woman, the dwarf is the frontman because nobody would believe a female can be a master craftsmen.

That whole quest screamed “woke” but I noticed I never heard a soul speak out against it. I wonder why:jbhmm:

Could it be cacs love and affection towards anything Nordic??:mjlol:

If you know then you know :francis:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I was just checking playing the Witcher 3 and the armorer quest has you deciding what to do with a dwarf who is fronting like he’s a master but it’s really a woman, the dwarf is the frontman because nobody would believe a female can be a master craftsmen.

That whole quest screamed “woke” but I noticed I never heard a soul speak out against it. I wonder why:jbhmm:

Could it be cacs love and affection towards anything Nordic??:mjlol:

If you know then you know :francis:

Vikings is to try hard neckbeard cacs like ancient egypt is to hoteps

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

So you think he was telling them not to put black people in their games……not telling them to quit doing shyt like this. :usure:

:usure:

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
So you think he was telling them not to put black people in their games……not telling them to quit doing shyt like this. :usure:
His message was essentially saying, "Don't rock the boat." If he wanted to convey the message you're trying to portray, he wouldn't have brought up "cancel culture." You don't always have to run interference for MS.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Dude been running around for years talking about diversity and inclusion, but somehow the whole time was secretly a Maga warrior :mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
His message was essentially saying, "Don't rock the boat." If he wanted to convey the message you're trying to portray, he wouldn't have brought up "cancel culture." You don't always have to run interference for MS.
That’s the spin you are puting on it, right in the same speech he talks about diversity and inclusiveness :comeon:

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
That’s the spin you are puting on it, right in the same speech he talks about diversity and inclusiveness :comeon:
Why invoke cancel culture/culture wars nonsense then? What people believe is "cancel culture" isn't real. That's something bad actors weaponize to stifle progress or use to avoid being held accountable for bad actions. Those old articles don't change anything, especially now that DEI initiatives are being reversed. I don't believe he's a Nazi or anything like that, but I don't trust him, either. He's a corporate mouthpiece who'll say whatever the times call for.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Why invoke cancel culture/culture wars nonsense then? That's something bad actors weaponize to stifle progress. Those old articles don't change anything, especially now that DEI initiatives are being reversed.
Context matters.

The entire speech was about inclusiveness and love. And was more so challenging devs and leaders to stop all the online nastiness that goes on around gaming.

“Culture of cancelation” was probably a bad choice of words, but judging by his record and the rest of the speech it wasn’t a call to arms for the maga crowd.

In the context of gaming it’s been the maga crowd doing all the “criticizing” “canceling”

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
he was clearly patting himself and xbox as whole, maybe even MS period...on the back for being inclusive.
basically "we navigated it like that because we know whats up"
there were a lot of different pronouns flying back and forth in their last several presentations. from that alone the thread title wouldnt make sense