People really re-writing history as they go?

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes
Am I one of the only people that notice all the revisionist history going on in the last few years? :whoo:

Hate hearing these young n1ggaz talk about a culture they don't even understand. I understand liking a certain period, but saying every single album that dropped in the 80s and 90s was classic is way off. We was flooded with alot of bull, they just have to the internet to pick the good from the bad. I remember hearing that hip hop was dead in the 90s.

It wasn't always strawberries.
At the end of the day people are just gonna like the time they grew up in mane :rudy:

People are just living off nostalgia you guys gotta realize that's there kids today that are gonna grow up and say that the last few years was the best :scusthov:

I'm also sick of seeing these hipsters say nas don't got a ear for beats.Sick of these kids dissing 2pac too. Also sick of them talking about illmatic/rd/etc. in vain, them n1ggaz ain't buy them albums. They can't even quote one line or say what they like about the album. They just list certain albums to fit in, anyone notice that? :birdman:

just had to get this off my chest, alot I know

LandryFieldsDad

All Star
Daps
Am I one of the only people that notice all the revisionist history going on in the last few years? :whoo:

Hate hearing these young n1ggaz talk about a culture they don't even understand. I understand liking a certain period, but saying every single album that dropped in the 80s and 90s was classic is way off. We was flooded with alot of bull, they just have to the internet to pick the good from the bad. I remember hearing that hip hop was dead in the 90s.

At the end of the day people are just gonna like the time they grew up in mane :rudy:

People are just living off nostalgia you guys gotta realize that's there kids today that are gonna grow up and say that the last few years was the best :scusthov:

I'm also sick of seeing these hipsters say nas don't got a ear for beats.Sick of these kids dissing 2pac too. Also sick of them talking about illmatic/rd/etc. in vain, them n1ggaz ain't buy them albums. They can't even quote one line or say what they like about the album. They just list certain albums to fit in, anyone notice that? :birdman:

There was a lot of trash..
There was also a Lot of undeniable
Music which isn't the case today

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That's the truth, when you come to that realization you would actually begin enjoying some of the new music too.

I can't say I rock with all the new shyt, but I fukk with alot of shyt I wouldn't have back then. The hate used to be strong with me 'til I came to that realization :snoop:

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes
There was a lot of trash..
There was also a Lot of undeniable
Music which isn't the case today

Yeah bruh, I see what you saying ain't denying there was some classics. I don't even listen to the radio or anything anymore haven't in years. I was just sick of seeing people complain all day, props on that post !

Most people won't even admit there was some trash back then too :lolbron:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
ive never heard of hip-hop being dead in the '90s outside of a portion of the internet backpackish type. they dont count for anything.

the gripes that older heads had with '90s hip-hop were the facts that the culture itself was dying. if i can quote the great doug e. fresh in '98, he said "nowadays its more about 'get the check'. but back in the days, it was more about 'get the respect'."

plus alot of oldheads were unhappy about the lack of balance in content. way too much gangsta ish, while less & less variety was being pushed.

and they were right. but there was never any complaints about the actual quality of the music as a whole. so lets stop trying to make excuses for this wack era. because when you do that, you open the doors for even more wack chit, which decreases the chances of the next era being better.

i could give a huge list of reasons why rap is in the worst state that its ever been. and none of it has to do with nostalgia.

KTD2

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The late 90s/early 00s was a GREAT era, don't get me wrong, but I think people forget how much people complained that "hip hop is dead."

That's why I think it's funny when people declare these days that "hip hop is dead" because according to the underground, it's been "dying" since Bad Boy and shiny suits.

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ive never heard of hip-hop being dead in the '90s outside of a portion of the internet backpackish type. they dont count for anything.

the gripes that older heads had with '90s hip-hop were the facts that the culture itself was dying. if i can quote the great doug e. fresh in '98, he said "nowadays its more about 'get the check'. but back in the days, it was more about 'get the respect'."

plus alot of oldheads were unhappy about the lack of balance in content. way too much gangsta ish, while less & less variety was being pushed.

and they were right. but there was never any complaints about the actual quality of the music as a whole. so lets stop trying to make excuses for this wack era. because when you do that, you open the doors for even more wack chit, which decreases the chances of the next era being better.

i could give a huge list of reasons why rap is in the worst state that its ever been. and none of it has to do with nostalgia.

Theres a lot of dope nikkas out here now-a-days, my only complaint would be they get no radio play. But if you have the internet, you can find this dope shyt no problem.

And the worst state was around 2003-2007ish give or take a few years.

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The late 90s/early 00s was a GREAT era, don't get me wrong, but I think people forget how much people complained that "hip hop is dead."

That's why I think it's funny when people declare these days that "hip hop is dead" because according to the underground, it's been "dying" since Bad Boy and shiny suits.

Real talk, nikkas (including me) HATED the shiny suit era. I can still vividly see nikkas rocking them shiny ass jeans lookin' like glitter and baby oil nutted on em :gag:

I remember when Diddy won the Grammy over Wu-Tang, I have never like the Grammy's since :pacspit: and was declaring hip hop being dead. Now I see nikkas calling "No way out" classic.

shyt's a cycle of the same ol' complaints, people need to realize this.

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes

:comeon: I'm not making excuses for the rap music today being that I hardly even listen to the radio, I just keepin it movin b. If I don't like something I'm not going to even waste my time anymore. I didn't even get a internet connection and learn how to use a computer until 2006. I'm going off the time and what older heads was sayin mane. There were complaints about the quality of music even back in the 1990s, it happened with every genre before that too.

I guess you see competition in my post homie :smugfavre:

props on the post tho homie I remember them saying that too but still :jawalrus:

LandryFieldsDad

All Star
Daps
Another factor was the availability of music

You'd hear a song on the radio and not know when you
Were gonna hear it again

You can walk around with a smart phone now and hear any song you want

you can get fooled now by current rappers
The visuals on the video the "swag"fans get caught up

Staying up 3 in the morning and hearing those songs on college
Radio stretch etc..the music was undeniable..the process of identifying
A song discovering an artist..it's phased out or completely changed

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
im saying. when you make comments like this, you have to make sure that you keep things in their proper perspective. the only oldheads i recall that were saying hip-hop is dead from an actual music standpoint in the '90s were people that werent really into rap for the long haul anyway. the people that tuned out to new music as a whole(not just hip-hop) when the glory days of their social lives came crashing down. those are casual fans.

i never ever heard an oldhead that was serious about rap say that it was dead in the '90s. their gripe was always with the other factors that i mentioned.

i just feel like the lines get blurred when statements like these are made.

again, underground heads were partly mad because the culture was being dilluted and they were 100% correct. BUT they were also partially mad because the chit that they liked wasnt poppin like that.

and the shiney suit era is so overblown. there were more huge acts that werent on that shiny stuff than there were those that were on it. it was mostly just an east coast thing, mainly for radio heads. and the shiney suit stuff was only popular for a year. that wasnt an era.

Real talk, nikkas (including me) HATED the shiny suit era. I can still vividly see nikkas rocking them shiny ass jeans lookin' like glitter and baby oil nutted on em :gag:

I remember when Diddy won the Grammy over Wu-Tang, I have never like the Grammy's since :pacspit: and was declaring hip hop being dead. Now I see nikkas calling "No way out" classic.

shyt's a cycle of the same ol' complaints, people need to realize this.

this was really nothing to get mad about. just a case of wutang fans being in their own world. as a guy that wasnt neccessarily a fan but a regular listener of both camps, i can honestly say that "no way out" was indeed on the same playing field as "wutang forever" in terms of quality. that 2nd disc was a wash.

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
I honestly might shoot myself when I get to the age where I hear people start saying shyt " today's rappers are wack, they can't hold a candle to lil Wayne or french Montana"

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
^lol. its gonna happen.

i understand the thread title. dont get it twisted. i agree with some of it. some people are just nostalgic. i can dig it.

im just saying theres a difference in how past eras are viewed in comparison to this era. this era is really the dark ages of rap. the last year worth looking back on is 2006. and alot of this has to do with the way the industry is run. thats the main problem.

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes
I honestly might shoot myself when I get to the age where I hear people start saying shyt " today's rappers are wack, they can't hold a candle to lil Wayne or french Montana"

^lol. its gonna happen.

i understand the thread title. dont get it twisted. i agree with some of it. some people are just nostalgic. i can dig it.

im just saying theres a difference in how past eras are viewed in comparison to this era. this era is really the dark ages of rap. the last year worth looking back on is 2006. and alot of this has to do with the way the industry is run. thats the main problem.

it reminds me of the wwf 94-95 era :gladbron: