Pedro Pascal has joined the cast of HBO's The Last of Us as Joel

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
How does he look like Joel ?are you trolling or you really are just worried about skin tone as your main trait . Can’t be a black man but let it be a dude from chile you cool with

Look at the nose and the eyes, throw a grayish beard on him and he's Joel. Can he nail a Texas accent? That's the question

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
1. Mahershala playing Black Joel is a dumb idea because we are well past the idea of "straight up adaption or bust". In 2021 it should be the standard of Multimedia IPs to use secondary and tertiary media projects to flesh out their universes and concepts....which leads to my second point....

2. Its so fukking creatively bankrupt and a shameless cash grab to tell the Joel and Elie story again, whether it be with Mahershala or Pedro (who isnt that great of an actor tbh). In fact its basically a implicit insult to the games as not being "accessible" enough so much so they have to adapt the story to a TV show that will probably pale in tone and execution of the video game.

Not letting the storytelling of TLoU video game stand on its own further perpetuates the ever retarded idea that "video games, comics and cartoons are for kids" stereotype...that these media forms cant be taken seriously as art in their original form....that they have to be adapted to be "true art" (and to truly capitalize financially off of them). This phenomenon I call Watchmen Syndrome.:francis:

Someone gets it. Why repeat the story of Joel, when there's the games out? You can easily carve out a new story in the TLOU world, I'm not watching this when I know how Joel and Ellie end up.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Someone gets it. Why repeat the story of Joel, when there's the games out? You can easily carve out a new story in the TLOU world, I'm not watching this when I know how Joel and Ellie end up.
While I’m still looking forward to this, I do agree that it didn’t NEED to be that story

although, I do think they’ll go the Walking dead route in terms of adapting source material...the same outline/framework of the source material with the same big story points, but with very different unknown things happening along the way

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Because it'll reach a new audience that never played or heard of the games plus everyone who played it will watch too. It's like asking why make a show/movie when the book is already out.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
I'm down with Agent Pena :skip:

I kinda would have rather it been someone I don't know as well but he's a good actor.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Because it'll reach a new audience that never played or heard of the games plus everyone who played it will watch too. It's like asking why make a show/movie when the book is already out.

You can’t treat video games like books. Video games are fully voice acted and (especially in naught dogs case) has realistic depictions of the characters already imprinted upon the audience. It’d be more like asking why are they remaking a movie as a tv show when the movie just came out two years ago and the movie was super popular with the same story.

Them remaking this with new actors means that they still see gaming as a lower tier art form then tv and movies, which isn’t the case because if we’re going by audience video games make more money.

Half the reason the last of us is great is because you are interacting with the world and have autonomy over the characters. It’s already better than a movie because you are more emotionally and physically involved in it. You take that away and you’re jus watching Logan, the girls with all the gifts, children of men, the road etc.

People who only watch movies already saw these movies.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
The story of Joel and Ellie might be why HBO gave them the green light for the show.

They could even still change alot of stuff while sticking with the main points of Joel and Ellie.

I've beat the game 4 times and I'm happy they're sticking with the story. :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Honestly I was hoping Nikolaj Coster-Waldau would get that role. I’ve seen him in other movies and I think he would be a great Joel and his the right age to play both younger and older Joel.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
I'll allow it :ehh:

cuid9vjkbvg61.jpg