parents sue Epic Games saying their kids won't eat or shower because they're addicted to Fortnite

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

• Parents are arguing that their children experienced symptoms of addiction to Fortnite.
  • Canada Supreme Court authorized the class-action lawsuit on Wednesday.
  • "We plan to fight this in court. We believe the evidence will show that this case is meritless," Epic Games said in a statement.
A Canadian Supreme Court judge authorized a lawsuit against Fortnite's manufacturer filed by Quebec parents who say their children became addicted to the video game.

In July, three parents told Justice Sylvain Lussier that their children appeared to be severely dependent on Fortnite, and stopped eating, sleeping, and showering as a result, BBC News reports.

Lussier's Wednesday ruling determined the class-action suit wasn't "frivolous or manifestly ill-founded," according to Global News.

"The court concludes that there is a serious issue to be argued, supported by sufficient and specific allegations as to the existence of risks or even dangers arising from the use of Fortnite," Lussier ruled.

An attorney from the firm that brought the suit equated the game's maker, Epic Games, to a tobacco manufacturer in an interview, and said the legal responsibility was "basically the same."

"Our motion was heavily inspired by the tobacco motion just in terms of what we were alleging," lawyer Alessandra Esposito Chartrand said, according to the Global News report.

Lussier echoed the comparison of video game and tobacco addictions. "The harmful effect of tobacco was not recognised or admitted overnight," he ruled.

However, the court didn't agree with the parents' claim that Epic Games deliberately made Fortnite addictive.

"The court finds that there is no evidence for these allegations of the deliberate creation of an addictive game," the judge wrote. "This does not exclude the possibility that the game is in fact addictive and that its designer and distributor are presumed to know it."

Epic Games denied the validity of the suit in a statement obtained by BBC.

"Parents can receive playtime reports that track the amount of time their child plays each week, and require parental permission before purchases are made," the company said.
"We plan to fight this in court. We believe the evidence will show that this case is meritless."

On average, Fortnite attracts over 80 million active players monthly, according to techacake.com. As part of the class-action, other Fortnite players in Quebec who believe they've experienced symptoms of addiction to the game.

:mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No lie, some kids really be addicted to this shyt no lie.

My cousin's baby momma little brother literally sat and played the game(Either Fortnite or 2K) while his dad literally died hours earlier in the house. He never even bothered to check on why his dad never got up out of the room. Lil dude felt guilty in a way.😢

The dude used to come to my house sometimes and ask to play on my PS4 and would play Fortnite or 2K for literally hours without getting up to eat or use the bathroom. shyt is crazy.

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
No lie, some kids really be addicted to this shyt no lie.

My cousin's baby momma little brother literally sat and played the game(Either Fortnite or 2K) while his dad literally died hours earlier in the house. He never even bothered to check on why his dad never got up out of the room. Lil dude felt guilty in a way.😢

The dude used to come to my house sometimes and ask to play on my PS4 and would play Fortnite or 2K for literally hours without getting up to eat or use the bathroom. shyt is crazy.
Anything can be addictive
Its the parents job to put boundaries and limits on their kids.
This lawsuit is basically shytty parents trying to deflect the blame of them being dog shyt parents.

Like these parents in that lawsuit never thought of like TURNING shyt OFF AND CONFISCATING GAMES AWAY TO CURB THEIR PLAYING TIME?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anything can be addictive
Its the parents job to put boundaries and limits on their kids.
This lawsuit is basically shytty parents trying to deflect the blame of them being dog shyt parents.

Like these parents in that lawsuit never thought of like TURNING shyt OFF AND CONFISCATING GAMES AWAY TO CURB THEIR PLAYING TIME?
I agree, I'm just saying something I saw. If I had a kid, tablets, TV and video games will be monitored. I've seen too many negligent parents where the TV is on playing some random YT vlogging shyt, with the kid glued to Tiktok on a tablet watching shyt they shouldn't be exposed to at an early age.

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
What exactly is that Fortnite game anyway?? I heard it was a battle royale like that pubg game. But like a week ago I saw a Fortnite commercial where mf’s were racing motorcycles :patrice:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I have Fortnite. I qued in exactly once so far in almost a year.

shyt was mid to me. Spent like 10 min running around without seeing a soul then got clapped by the first person to spot me. Then I guess you're supposed to try again?

Once you get good I'm sure the action picks up but I couldn't imagine taking the time to get it together..

(Overwatch on the other hand has me hooked. Not very good yet but at least you get to try try again even when you're getting stomped)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
maxresdefault.jpg