Parasite (2019 Palme d'Or winner and The Film Room top movie of the year) - directed by Bong Joon-ho

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

All unemployed, Ki-taek's family takes peculiar interest in the wealthy and glamorous Parks for their livelihood until they get entangled in an unexpected incident.

Word around the Croisette already spread that this was Bong Joon-ho's best film, and now he is rewarded with the honor of being the first Korean filmmaker to win the Palme d'Or, which affirms his position as the best filmmaker to come out of the trinity (Park Chan-wook and Kim Jee-woon being the others) that put Korean cinema back on the map.

REAL6

All Star
Daps
Kind of crazy how far ahead Korean cinema is compared to China. Seems like China has stagnated to mostly martial arts spectacles and haven't evolved much past that or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

China was up there until about 2000 to 2005.
Korea has been killing it for about 15 years now. They are killing it in film and shows.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Kind of crazy how far ahead Korean cinema is compared to China. Seems like China has stagnated to mostly martial arts spectacles and haven't evolved much past that or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
Chinese cinema is very blockbuster and public oriented because the movie crowds there really go to the movies for escapism. Korea is very conservative and has a very dark side to society, which really comes through in their films and gives it that unique edge.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

I think part of that is because the censor laws over there got them fukked up. Last decent drama I seen from China was Johnny To's Drug War (2012). And the director's cut was way better than the theatrical release. :martin:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
All unemployed, Ki-taek's family takes peculiar interest in the wealthy and glamorous Parks for their livelihood until they get entangled in an unexpected incident.

So Cannes liked Shoplifting so much last year, they gave Palme d'Or to it's unofficial sequel? :auntie:

Fine with me, Shoplifters was marvelous and Korean cinema can't be fukked with :banderas:

Besides...if this manages to be better than Memories of Murder :wow: