Paramount Erases Archives of MTV Website, Wipes Music, Culture History After 30 Plus Years

Daps
Is the public funding the archives like they do newspaper archives? Answer is no, so when’s the last time you, or anyone else in this thread, looked up something from the mtv archive? I’ll guess the answer is many, many years, if ever. Hence why it’s been given the axe.

I for one read something about two years ago to use as Coli ammo :banderas:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Is the public funding the archives like they do newspaper archives? Answer is no, so when’s the last time you, or anyone else in this thread, looked up something from the mtv archive? I’ll guess the answer is many, many years, if ever. Hence why it’s been given the axe.
So if everyone YOU KNOW isn't using it when you feel they should, then it's not important anymore? Lets not go with the "who's paying for it" angle you invented later on. Stick with the "nobody cares, this isn't news that has any importance to the world" angle you started with

What does the few members on the coli and when they searched something have to do with whether news is important or not? I'm sure if there weren't newspapers showing the tulsa bombing, the people in 1960 would ask "when's the last time you looked at a newspaper from tulsa to get some info" the same way

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
So if everyone YOU KNOW isn't using it when you feel they should, then it's not important anymore? Lets not go with the "who's paying for it" angle you invented later on. Stick with the "nobody cares, this isn't news that has any importance to the world" angle you started with

What does the few members on the coli and when they searched something have to do with whether news is important or not? I'm sure if there weren't newspapers showing the tulsa bombing, the people in 1960 would ask "when's the last time you looked at a newspaper from tulsa to get some info" the same way
Comparing newspapers to what order the TRL videos were in sept 1997 is wild, but the cost is absolutely the reason they are wiped out. You think it’s free to preserve that stuff? The cost versus the traffic is the most relevant metric. If the traffic was there, you don’t think they’d serve the demand? It wasn’t, so they didn’t

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yeah, this is wack. Hopefully people have evidence.

The biggest weakness about history repeating itself (for the worst) is when the lessons and facts are lost.

Lessons and facts backed by evidence lost and/or wiped out isn't a good thing.

I can see storage cost being an argument. That's a tricky problem to solve.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
You could literally say that about anything from the past that can be studied. Those interviews with artists, their perspective on what was happening during that time is unique because it gave the news perspective from a non-older person. Someone might want to examine if this media outlet boosted voting amongst the youth; one could also study the impact it had on fashion.

And these are just off the top of the head. It has historical significance.

Yes. Like ODB saying he doesn’t do nothing for the community sitting next to Wyclef talmbat Haitian relief.
That is the most MTV chit ever. You only would’ve saw that there.

Or RZA, Wyclef, and two others I can’t remember at the time having a real discussion about the state of hip-pop…
for it to end with them discussing White broads they would fucc (shoutout to Natalie Inbruglia).

Or, the first time you ever saw Black Rob he was laying in the bed with Puffy while Puff hosted MTV Jams at the
Malibu beach house. You was like “Why Puff in the bed with a nicca??”, but then “Make ‘Em Say Ugh” video came
on and you forgot about it.

KingSol81

Superstar
Daps
I just googled a specific news article I utilized some years back to track down some unreleased songs off a specific 1998 album, and while when I click the link it just leads me to a placeholder there is still a portion of the article that remains in the preview on the Google results page, does this theoretically mean the information is still stored somewhere?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Comparing newspapers to what order the TRL videos were in sept 1997 is wild, but the cost is absolutely the reason they are wiped out. You think it’s free to preserve that stuff? The cost versus the traffic is the most relevant metric. If the traffic was there, you don’t think they’d serve the demand? It wasn’t, so they didn’t
I think this is the problem... Y'all think it's TRL videos and shyt when the biggest complaint is the NEWS articles they removed and the journalists who can't even see those articles

The only show I'd actually be upset about losing is Yo MTV raps, but they destroyed most of those tapes in the moment

They also had "print" versions of all of this as straight up news articles and those are lost too.. There is literally no documentation that MTV existed in news and media spaces except clips of the goofy shows and vids that didn't matter

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Internet Archive Creates Searchable MTV News Database After Paramount Deletes Entire Site​

mtv-news-1719960072-1000x563.jpeg

NEWS JULY 2, 2024 7:55 PM BY DANIELLE CHELOSKY

Last year MTV News was shuttered amid layoffs at parent company Paramount. And last week, former MTV News editor (and Stereogum contributor) Patrick Hosken noticed that the music publication’s website had been taken down, erasing decades of celebrated music journalism. Now the Internet Archive has come to the rescue with a searchable MTV News database.

The database has 460,575 web pages previously published at mtv.com/news dating back to the website’s inception in 1996. Paramount also deleted content from its CMT, Comedy Central, and TV Land websites. “As part of broader website changes across Paramount, we have introduced more streamlined versions of our sites, driving fans to Paramount+ to watch their favorite shows,” a Paramount Global rep said in a statement. You can find the MTV News database here.

Last month, Shari Redstone’s National Amusements Inc. (which controls Paramount Global) called off merger talks with David Ellison’s Skydance Media (which produces movie franchises like Mission: Impossible and Star Trek) and is now reportedly looking to cut $500 million in annual costs while it explores selling parts of its media empire. It’s unclear if Paramount plans to sell MTV or its other cable channels like Nickelodeon, but today it was revealed that the company may offload BET for $1.6 billion to that network’s CEO and CC Capital’s Chinh Chu. Meanwhile, after Barry Diller’s IAC emerged yesterday as a possible new buyer of Paramount, the merger with Skydance is apparently happening after all.

Last year Paramount Global’s long-term debt was $14.6 billion and a few weeks ago its stock hit an all time low. Despite a faltering cable business, however, Paramount also owns prized assets CBS and Paramount Pictures. It is also seeking to merge its Paramount+ with another streaming service like Warner Bros. Discovery’s Max.

MTV was launched in 1981 by Warner-Amex Satellite Entertainment, which was sold to a collective that included Paramount, then called Viacom, in 1983. Redstone’s father Sumner’s National Amusements took control of Viacom in 1987. MTV dropped “Music Television” from its logo in 2010, but it continued to produce music journalism until MTV News shut down. The MTV Video Music Awards returns for its 40th anniversary on Sept. 10 while the MTV Movie & TV Awards is not happening this year.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
They easily could’ve sold off those archives for some coin, fkn dummies:beli:

concise

Veteran
Daps

I don't respect it. It's a blatant rip off of this.

[COLOR=var(--color-support-06)]

Brian McKnight, Me'shell N'degeocello Sound Off On Similar Piano Riff​

MUSIC
By MTV News Staff
April 9, 1998
7:55 AM

Spokespeople for Me'shell N'degeocello say they aren't all that concerned about Brian McKnight's song "Anytime" which features a piano riff that's rather reminiscent of the opening of Me'shell's 1993 song "Outside Your Door".

When asked about the resemblance between McKnight's song (the title track of his latest album) and Me'shell's song (which first appeared on her 1993 album "Plantation Lullabies"), Me'shell's camp said only, "Her music speaks for itself.
McKnight's people, speaking for themselves, said he and a co-writer composed "Anytime" long before Me'shell ever landed a recording deal.
While that is quite likely, the McKnight song wasn't copywritten until last year.

[/COLOR]

Here goes an example of a now dead link on a story I never heard of before ... and no stories currently exist of on google.

And people acting like it's no big deal. :francis:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps

Here goes an example of a now dead link on a story I never heard of before ... and no stories currently exist of on google.

And people acting like it's no big deal. :francis:
It's literally only music and gossip breh. Entertainment, shyts and giggles to fill in empty spots of your day.:skip:

br82186

Superstar
Daps
MTV used to have some good documentaries and True Life docu series

1. These videos need to be saved

2. Crazy how alot of the people you see in that video are more than likely are conservatives. Nothing wrong with that, but it's surprising considering that Generation X was considered the b*stard stepchild to Boomers and the Silent Generation.