Pac's Resurrection: The Official 2014-15 Atlanta Hawks Season Thread

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Was at the game too, in the 300s.that Mike Scott dunk got us hyped as fukk.

Breh we were all like :ooh::whoo::wow: Beal should've just got out the way

Who's goin to the Golden State game? No disrespect to WAS b/c they're a good team, but after the first quarter all anybody was talking about was Golden State, scalpers about to come up somethin serious

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Breh we were all like :ooh::whoo::wow: Beal should've just got out the way

Who's goin to the Golden State game? No disrespect to WAS b/c they're a good team, but after the first quarter all anybody was talking about was Golden State, scalpers about to come up somethin serious

Breh my older brother called me and said he made $4,000 off a $600 investment on that game :wow:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
:banderas:

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/featur...-chris-paul-curse/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

Thanks to Teague, Paul curse no longer looms over Hawks
Hawks passed on All-Star caliber point guard Chris Paul in 2005

POSTED: Feb 5, 2015 9:54 AM ET

Point guard Jeff Teague is an All-Star, which means the Hawks' painful, expensive, decade-long wait is mercifully over. It's not that Teague took 10 years to develop. It took 10 years for the Hawks to finally shed the Curse of Chris Paul.

We should explain. In the summer of 2005, the Hawks, still bloody from a 13-win season, passed on Paul in the draft, even though they needed a point guard and a star in the worst way. And, taking it a step further, they also ignored Deron Williams in that same draft. That's two point guards who would eventually make 11 All-Star teams combined and sign a pair of max contracts and represent Team USA in two Olympics.

The Hawks spent their first-round pick, the second overall, on forward Marvin Williams instead. And regretted it almost instantly. Williams never became a star, or even a borderline case, and at his best he was the Hawks' third option.

Meanwhile, the Hawks either suffered or were so-so at point guard for years.

Until now.

2015 All-Star Reserves: Jeff Teague

Check out the plays that made Hawks guard Jeff Teague a 2015 East All-Star Reserve.

This is an anatomy of a big mistake and how it can set a franchise back three or four years or even longer in extreme cases. It happens often; no need to single out the Hawks specifically. Yet, the cost of that oversight involving Paul (and to slightly a lesser extent, Deron Williams) was staggering in so many ways. The exact tab can't be accurately measured, because how can you put a price on how much Paul would've meant to the Hawks in terms of merchandise sales, ticket sales, respect, visibility and franchise value? What about the massive goodwill Paul would've generated for the Hawks among their fan base, a neglected group only now warming up to a team that has Teague and leads the Eastern Conference?

But in terms of pure manpower and contracts, that's a bit easier to pin down. The Hawks spent plenty trying to cover for their blunder and also their quest to find a quality point guard. Passing up Paul cost $80 million-plus in salaries along with a pair of first-round picks until Teague, here in the midst of a breakout season, finally made Hawks fans forgive if not forget 2005.

150106000347-chris-paul-jeff-teague-010515.story-body.jpg

Atlanta isn't haunted by the decision anymore.
In 2004-05 the Hawks were in the second year of a development project and it went terribly. The year before, they won 28 games. In 2004-05 they actually took a step backward. They lost 32 of their final 35 games. They ranked either near or at the bottom in every important statistical category. They were historically awful. Philips Arena was a cemetery. Dominique Wilkins, Mike Fratello, Spud Webb, Mookie Blaylock and Steve Smith were a distant memory.

Billy Knight was the general manager and, armed with the No. 2 pick (the Bucks leapfrogged five teams in the lottery to get No. 1), was on the spot. Along with other NBA people, Knight was infatuated by Marvin Williams, who worked his way up the draft boards with strong pre-draft workouts. Williams didn't even start for North Carolina but quickly had some NBA scouts comparing him to James Worthy, the former Tar Heel who had a Hall of Fame career. Yes, seems strange now, doesn't it?

The Hawks didn't have a pressing need for a front line scorer; Al Harrington was young and intriguing. What they lacked was a point guard and leadership. Tyronn Lue and Royal Ivey split the minutes and neither was starting material. Knight was also nervous about Paul's height, generously listed at 6-feet. So he took Marvin Williams. Paul went next to the Hornets and Deron Williams went No. 4 to Utah.

It's great when you have a group of guys who believe in you, and trust you with the ball. I can't tell you how much that has helped me.

– Jeff Teague

Knight used his second-round pick on a point guard and took Salim Stoudemire at No. 30. That was also a mistake in hindsight. Monta Ellis went 10 spots later, and that second round in '05 was one of the better ones: Brandon Bass, C.J. Miles, Ersan Ilyasova, Ronny Turiaf, Lou Williams (who played high school ball 15 minutes from Philips Arena), Andre Blatche, Amir Johnson and Marcin Gortat. All but Blatche is still in the NBA, and after playing overseas this season, Blatche could be signed in the next few weeks. Stoudemire was out of basketball in three years.

In the summer of 2006, Knight spent $24 million on free agent point guard Speedy Claxton, a surprise because Claxton was listed two inches smaller than Paul. Claxton played only 44 games in three years with the Hawks, partly because of injuries, and when healthy, he was largely ineffective.

The Hawks endured another season with the two-headed Lue-Ivey point guard, then spent their ottery pick in 2007 on forward Sheldon Williams. Another first-rounder, the No. 11 pick, was used for point guard Acie Law. He was taken ahead of Rajon Rondo and Kyle Lowry; both made All-Star teams. Law averaged 2 assists as a rookie and shot 20 percent from deep. He was gone in two years. Williams was a bust.

Desperate now, at the 2008 trade deadline Knight traded for Mike Bibby, who was 30 and past his prime. That was Knight's final move; he resigned under fire three months later. The Hawks later gave Bibby a three-year, $18 million extension and Bibby helped a team that hadn't been winners in nine years to the playoffs. But Bibby then fell off a cliff rapidly. Never a good athlete, he rarely broke down a defense and left a fair share of the ball-handling to Joe Johnson. Meanwhile, Paul and Deron Williams were making All-Star and Olympic teams.

Inside Stuff: Jeff Teague

Kristen Ledlow and All-Star point guard Jeff Teague of the streaking Atlanta Hawks take a trip to the Georgia Aquarium.

Finally, new GM Rick Sund drafted Teague in 2009, but coach Mike Woodson played him little behind Bibby. Then in 2011 the Hawks sent Bibby and a No. 1 pick to the Wizards for Kirk Hinrich at the trade deadline, showing little faith in Teague's readiness to assume the job full-time. After playing behind Bibby, Teague had to play behind Hinrich. That irritated Teague.

"It was a little difficult for me, I'm not going to lie," Teague said. "I didn't understand it. I wanted to play. But I did learn from Kirk, and as it turned out, we ended up playing a number of games together."

Sund said: "He took that experience under Bibby and Kirk, learned from it and turned himself into an All-Star player."

The Hawks also extended Marvin Williams for five years and $37 million -- if only to justify taking him No. 2 overall in a draft that haunted them a decade -- then traded him later to Utah. And so, the money paid to Claxton, Bibby, Stoudemire, Law, Hinrich and by extension Marvin Williams could've been avoided had the Hawks simply done the right thing in 2005.

As for the arrival of their new All-Star point guard: Better late than never, right? Teague was good last season. He's very good this season, his sixth, and made himself into possibly a top-10 point guard. He beat John Wall, Damian Lillard and Mike Conley among others during a scorching Hawks winning stretch. And get this: Teague and the Hawks have beaten Paul twice.

"It kind of all came together, not only for me, but for our team," Teague said. "Things have fallen the right way for us. And it's great when you have a group of guys who believe in you, and trust you with the ball. I can't tell you how much that has helped me."

He's averaging career highs in points (16.8), assists (7.5) and steals (1.7) and showing plenty of necessary chill in pressure situations. He's quick enough to push the ball on the break, and can reach the rim in the half-court. Teague is rarely flustered, either by the situation or the challenge of playing against point guards with bolder resumes. The Hawks should thank the Bucks for extending Teague a free agent offer sheet two summers ago that was matched. He's making a very team-friendly $9 million a season and signed for two more years.

Teague is important to the Hawks in another respect: It's tough to win in the NBA without a quality point guard. Almost all title contenders have one. In the East, there's Lowry, Wall, Kyrie Irving and yes, even Derrick Rose. In the West? Paul, Lillard, Conley, Tony Parker, Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook. Tough matchups await, maybe in every round, for all of the above, Teague included.

"He's been a pretty quick study and just looks like he belongs with the better point guards in the league," Sund said. "That's a credit to how hard he's worked and the belief he has in himself."

It's been a long and mostly harsh journey to this point for the Hawks to finally feel comfortable and blessed at that position. Point guard has haunted them for the better part of a decade. But now, when Paul is across the floor, casting a large and gloomy shadow over the team that didn't think he was good enough, the Hawks no longer have reason to wince. At least not as hard as before.

Veteran NBA writer Shaun Powell has worked for newspapers and other publications for more than 25 years. You can e-mail him here or follow him on Twitter.

The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
If we blow them out :banderas:

Btw I've been over the Chris Paul thing when we realized how much of a fukk boy he is

Chris Paul hasn't won a championship or played in the Finals. :manny: Yea we goofed by not taking him but I think his impact is overstated & I'm over it too

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I looked at the schedule and here's what we have for weekend games (including Fri):

January: Philly at Hawks (Sat 1/31)

February: Golden State at Hawks (Fri 2/6) :banderas: Finals Preview
Toronto at Hawks (Fri 2/20)
Orlando at Hawks (Fri 2/27)

March: Cavs at Hawks (Fri 3/6) :banderas: ECF Preview
Spurs at Hawks (Sun 3/22) Teacher vs. Disciple :wow:
Heat at Hawks (Fri 3/27)

April: Nets at Hawks (Sat 4/4)

Based on this slate my top 3 would be the GS game (which is next Fri and could see us goin for 22 straight), CLE game then the Spurs

That CLE game doe :lupe:

And if we do it, we gotta have some Coli smileys on deck in the stands. It's only right :banderas:

Bumping this post. It's only 6 games (not counting tomorrow) left if we're gonna hit a game. I'm still down to go

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Bumping this post. It's only 6 games (not counting tomorrow) left if we're gonna hit a game. I'm still down to go

I'm still down too. Hawks brehs who wanna go what y'all think? :ld: like you said were running out of wknd home games unless were just waiting for the playoffs

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Im down forreal.. It's how much again?

It's 2 different suites, one is 3200 the smaller suite is 2700. IMO neither one of those are good deals (limited parking passes, doesn't include food). Another option is we could get group seats & choose what section works. Biggest thing is getting a number on who really wants to do it, I'd say we need at least 5-10 brehs to make it work

Brehs just gotta keep in mind that the demand for Hawks tix is crazy right now so if we gonna make a move the time is now

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
It's 2 different suites, one is 3200 the smaller suite is 2700. IMO neither one of those are good deals (limited parking passes, doesn't include food). Another option is we could get group seats & choose what section works. Biggest thing is getting a number on who really wants to do it, I'd say we need at least 5-10 brehs to make it work

Brehs just gotta keep in mind that the demand for Hawks tix is crazy right now so if we gonna make a move the time is now
True.

It was November before all the winning and whatnot, but on Fri 11/28 against the Pelicans I got a seat in section 207 for $25. I know we probably won't stumble on that, but a game like Feb 27 against Orlando would be perfect. It's not a huge draw, but they still have some talented young guys worth watching.

My 2 cents, let's go the group ticket route, StubHub is showing quite a few available for that game, deals might get sweet closer to the 27th. Realistically, it'll probably be 5-7 of us and we could easily cop seats together at the last minute. And if it's not that many people, even better.

By my count:
Me
@AVXL
@steezy
@Rickdogg44
@FreshFromATL (? - I remember him being in the convo not sure tho)