Oxtail used to be called slave food..now it can sell for up to $10 a pound

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Haven't eaten oxtail in like 15 years, I don't know why people have been so obsessed with it recently:mjlol:.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Not a fan of oxtails. But my buddy's family is from Trelawny. Women in his family make the best version I've ever tasted.
If the cook is not from there, I don't want oxtails.

Yeah, I said it.

KkbJYm.gif

Who want test? Come on!

Daps
Brisket used to be a cheap cut of meat like oxtails.

No one knew how to cook it right until the black pitmasters in Texas (slaves and newly freed slaves) showed them how to do it right.

Now every BBQ joint is on some hipster-ish Aaron Franklin brisket trip. Brisket went up in $$$ since more people know how to cook it and demand it.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
It's fukking bullshyt that it's 10 a pound anyways,only like 3 kinds of people eat that. Mostly carribean people and AA. Why the hell is this damn price unreasonable. :unimpressed:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Oxtails pair with rice since they're smothered in gravy. You don't put gravy on mac and cheese. The flavors don't go together.

It doesn’t sound like it should but it really does.

I’m not a heathen so I don’t get it often but when I’m feeling a little frisky I might get some Mac with my plate and I’ve never minded the ox gravy mixing with the Mac a little.

Fat bytches around here specifically request Mac and cheese with oxtail gravy poured over it.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Grandma went on a rant about this the other day. The butcher shop around her way used to give these parts out for free or for pennies. Every sense the j00s bought it up, they selling the shyt for $30 dollars. She still tight about Bush makiing pork rhines prices go up too. She think they coming for pigs feet too. Got all her children making her pigs feet every holiday, trynna get her fill before she die.:mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
I love oxtails :wow:.

My aunt usually make these on special occasions (birthdays, holidays, etc) I guess because it's so high priced. She doesn't use it as the main meat of a dinner but incorporated in the side dishes, specifically in collard greens when she doesn't use beef neck bones or smoked turkey necks.

Haven't eaten oxtails since Thanksgiving.