Over a decade later, why aren't the 2000s romanticized like the 90s were?

Music Fiend

Superstar
Daps
I hated the fits we got off in the 2000s. i look back at my old pictures like :scust:

Baggy dikkeys shorts/Jorts with a crease and 3XXL tall tees on my skinny ass frame, matching fitted and Nike Dunks/AF1s

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
2000 was fire. But 9/11 put the world on permanent anxiety mode and people really started LIVING on the internet.

I remember there were people I'd see in class (I was in HS in the early 2000's) and wouldn't say two shyts to them but we'd talk all the time on AIM.
You started seeing malls declining, less small business as opposed to e-commerce and big box stores. The 90's is lauded because I personally think it was the PEAK of American culture.

Hip-hop, techno, living on credit, mcmansions, the suburbs, party drugs, the internet, the NBA and NFL....yeah, America was on its shyt in the 90's from a culture perspective. The whole world was trying to emulate the 90's template of Americana.

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
I feel like I’m the only one on the coli that doesn’t hate the 2010s. I’m 31 and I’m glad my 20s were in the 2010s instead of the 90s just because of technology alone. And I was poor in my 20s but at least I still had the Internet. Being poor in the 90s meant basic television and watching the same 5 VHS movies. I was able to pirate a lot of entertainment in the 2010s without having someone come to my house to hook up some illegal cable and having to dub music

Nah you ain’t the only one breh. The 10’s may not have been the best decade but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy them either, it’s the decade I truly felt like I’ve came into my own. Plus I’ve had a shytload of fun last decade be it clubbing, going on road trips and adventures with my friends, coming out of my shell more, attending and graduating from an HBCU, having the privilege to study abroad, travel outside the country for the first time, my first date and first girlfriend, came into Consciousness and Knowledge of Self, discovering how much of a foodie I can be, becoming more appreciative of Black music outside of the usual genres, seeing the growth of my lil brother, the Summer of 2015 and 2016, coming to The Coli as a wandering vagrant after being banned from Cac ass City-Data, and so much more.

As someone who’s almost two years shy of being 30, I got a lotta appreciation for the 2010’s despite some of the BS that spawned from that decade that’s still within Da Culture and society in general as of 2021.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
I have mixed feelings about the 2000s. I was a teenager and spent half of my 20s during that period. 9/11, the War on Terror, Katrina, and the great recession killed a lot of the vibe though. Even with all that we still had some innocence. Early to mid 2000s hip hop was still good. Social media and smartphones was in it's infancy and people were still more socialable. The clubs and parties were the BEST. Nobody on their phones taking pictures for Instagram and Snapchat. Just good music and fun.

The 2000s will be looked at more fondly than the 2010s IMO.

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
:russ:....thats why you hated it.....

everything about those early years was ass. Cassette players, tv antennas to fix the only 6 channels you had on that box tv, AOL always kicking you off with that “good bye” bs. Using pay phones and phone books to order pizza. I don’t miss it at all. :camby:

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
80s and 90s music and movies were just superior, it's nothing biased or nostalgic about it

why do you think Hollywood flooded the market with 80s and 90s remakes of movies in the 2000s, why not keep putting out original content ??

music is just trash now for the most part cuz everyone raps the same and all are like Wayne clones with the face tats, pill poppin etc...remember when it was frowned upon in rap to bite someone else's style and you had to be original. Now everyone in hip-hop copy each other on purpose with no shame

2000s pop and RnB can't touch 80s and 90s RnB and pop

and a lot of cgi in movies still looks fake, and it shouldn't by now

society as a whole has been dumbed down in general since like 2005

don't get me wrong the 2000s and 2010s had some bright stuff, just nowhere close to the 80s and 90s

The bold is pure facts, it’s damn near a travesty. The only CGI movies from the 2000’s that I can say in retrospect truly wows me to this day are Avatar (James Cameron), King Kong, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, A.I., Jurassic Park III, 2012, and the LOTR trilogy.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
And bonus question around what year did nikkas start to romanticize the 90s

I finally realized why.

In the past fashion, art, music and deciding what's hot, what's not was largely in the hands of big business who would over time make sure that styles continued moving on to keep the $$$'s flowing.

For example in the past radio stations would move on, music TV would move on and society would move on as older stuff just fell out of rotation.

Now with the Internet it's possible for us to become frozen in time (to a greater extent) as we "together with a peer group via social media" continue to follow fashion or musical tastes that we still like online, which extends their life-cycle offline.

:ufdup:

This might in the longer term affect creativity as well.