Outer Range (Josh Brolin) - Amazon Prime

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Finished S1 and read through this thread
  • Some of Y'all is smart as hell - guessed a lot of the "reveals"
  • The Bad Guys - not particularly compelling. I'm of the opinion most shows are only as good as the villain/antagonist.
    • Weird Singing Cowboy - every show wants to throw in a weird odd ball character. Not quite the White Darius, but what's even the point of these types of characters.
    • Incest-y sorta Mom - she's a scenery chewer. Over the top archetype.
    • Son who can't do nothing right - lame
    • Crazy as they come Elder Statesman - stock character
  • The "Good Guys"
    • Thanos Brolin
    • Men of the Family
      • Dad is a Murderer who births another murdered/sociopath and a willing accomplice
      • Bull rider brother - Sort of a plot device to give Ozark Boy something to play off of
        • have to admit the bull riding is well shot (wonder how they got that past PETA)
      • Ozark Boy - He's playing the same mentally disturbed character that he did in Ozark.
    • Mom Abbott - They don't know what to do with the mother character - but she had some of the best emotional performances in this mug
    • Kid Abbott - The kid wasn't nearly as annoying as other kid characters are typically in these types of shows..but they did the thing where the kid walks off - just because, which adds needless tension.
      • They tried to establish her impulsiveness early on, but it just fell flat to me when she gets caught up...
    • Autumn - she has a nice little manic breakdown in the later episodes, and they really are selling the idea that Psych Patients shouldn't be prescribed generics
Overall, I finished 2 episodes of Season 2 - and now they're finally talking about the central premise of the show. Mf'ers...

Which makes me wonder

What would have happened if this show didn't get another season?

And if they knew they had 2 seasons ahead of time, why did they wait so long to get to the "good" stuff.
I'm very much reminded of Silo on Apple but not Severance.
  • Silo - interesting idea, interesting big mystery every few episodes, but small time conflict most episodes.
  • Severance - It felt like most of the show is so weird and so out there, but so centered on the main thing. They knew how to balance the day to day and the overarching plot. (Like how many shots of them mending fences are in this show?)
I'd say 80% of this show is them having a property dispute along with family secrets. Finagling can be done right, see Succession, but this was not it.

Additionally, if Thanos would have just come clean to his fam about the reappearance of the hole from jump - which would be normal - we'd have a different motivation for everyone involved. That might have been harder to write, but it would have been far more interesting than the Wyoming soap opera that we got.

This isn't X-Files, and it's certainly not Lost. I wonder if the writers of the show, and the people that write the checks ever think about story structure.

Like the 3 Body Problem - those first few episodes knew how to ratchet the tension up, end the episode on a cliffhanger, and keep the viewer watching....until it gets bogged down. I'd say the middle 5 episodes don't really push the good story along, and give us the B-plot instead.

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
I want to watch but I just know i going to get canceled and there won’t be a third season. I still think this show started off so, so strong the first few episodes. Then took an extreme nosedive after like the third episode in season one. It had potential.

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
Finished S1 and read through this thread
  • Some of Y'all is smart as hell - guessed a lot of the "reveals"
  • The Bad Guys- not particularly compelling. I'm of the opinion most shows are only as good as the villain/antagonist.
    • Weird Singing Cowboy - every show wants to throw in a weird odd ball character. Not quite the White Darius, but what's even the point of these types of characters.
    • Incest-y sorta Mom - she's a scenery chewer. Over the top archetype.
    • Son who can't do nothing right - lame
    • Crazy as they come Elder Statesman - stock character
  • The "Good Guys"
    • Thanos Brolin
    • Men of the Family
      • Dad is a Murderer who births another murdered/sociopath and a willing accomplice
      • Bull rider brother - Sort of a plot device to give Ozark Boy something to play off of
        • have to admit the bull riding is well shot (wonder how they got that past PETA)
      • Ozark Boy - He's playing the same mentally disturbed character that he did in Ozark.
    • Mom Abbott - They don't know what to do with the mother character - but she had some of the best emotional performances in this mug
    • Kid Abbott - The kid wasn't nearly as annoying as other kid characters are typically in these types of shows..but they did the thing where the kid walks off - just because, which adds needless tension.
      • They tried to establish her impulsiveness early on, but it just fell flat to me when she gets caught up...
    • Autumn - she has a nice little manic breakdown in the later episodes, and they really are selling the idea that Psych Patients shouldn't be prescribed generics
Overall, I finished 2 episodes of Season 2 - and now they're finally talking about the central premise of the show. Mf'ers...

Which makes me wonder

What would have happened if this show didn't get another season?

And if they knew they had 2 seasons ahead of time, why did they wait so long to get to the "good" stuff.
I'm very much reminded of Silo on Apple but not Severance.
  • Silo - interesting idea, interesting big mystery every few episodes, but small time conflict most episodes.
  • Severance - It felt like most of the show is so weird and so out there, but so centered on the main thing. They knew how to balance the day to day and the overarching plot. (Like how many shots of them mending fences are in this show?)
I'd say 80% of this show is them having a property dispute along with family secrets. Finagling can be done right, see Succession, but this was not it.

Additionally, if Thanos would have just come clean to his fam about the reappearance of the hole from jump - which would be normal - we'd have a different motivation for everyone involved. That might have been harder to write, but it would have been far more interesting than the Wyoming soap opera that we got.

This isn't X-Files, and it's certainly not Lost. I wonder if the writers of the show, and the people that write the checks ever think about story structure.

Like the 3 Body Problem - those first few episodes knew how to ratchet the tension up, end the episode on a cliffhanger, and keep the viewer watching....until it gets bogged down. I'd say the middle 5 episodes don't really push the good story along, and give us the B-plot instead.
Imo Outer Range, Silo, and Severance have a great premise/plot. But I consider them background show’s. It’s too slow (and that’s coming from someone who likes slow buildup/payoff), and the episodes themselves aren’t entertaining/captivating enough to keep my full attention. I feel like most people will probably be on their phone for most of every episode and still kind of get the jist of everything.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Imo Outer Range, Silo, and Severance have a great premise/plot. But I consider them background show’s. It’s too slow (and that’s coming from someone who likes slow buildup/payoff), and the episodes themselves aren’t entertaining/captivating enough to keep my full attention. I feel like most people will probably be on their phone for most of every episode and still kind of get the jist of everything.
Never watched severance, can't comment on that.

The black couple in the pilot, that storyline is a rough beginning, after that, the story focuses on Rebecca Ferguson, so you have to like her.

With outer range, Josh Brolin and Imogen poots are the strongest characters, when they fallout, the story falls with them.

I'm on a rough place right now, I can't watch anything that has a rough patch to play out and it might not play out, that's most of apple lineup, ( I know this is on Amazon).

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
i'm on episode 3 of season 2. God this show moves at a snail's pace.

I feel like the most of the actors are better than the script. They are holding this meandering bullshyt together. And they are trying too hard to get they Yellowstone on.

Also, the actress that play Autumn seems like she doesn't know what to do with her facial expressions. She tries to come off as mysterious but she seems like she's just a goofy troll most of the time.

I want to like this show, but its a chore to get through.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
What even is this show?

Just finished it, and PLEASE CANCEL THIS BS. I KNOW J. BEEZY GOT A COLI ACCOUNT.

I'm mad as hell.

More questions, no answers, no continuity, spinning its wheels, pointless subplots...

:camby:

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
What even is this show?

Just finished it, and PLEASE CANCEL THIS BS. I KNOW J. BEEZY GOT A COLI ACCOUNT.

I'm mad as hell.

More questions, no answers, no continuity, spinning its wheels, pointless subplots...

:camby:

I just finished watching this. The show was cool. It definitely needs another season to close the loop.

Breaks a few time travel rules like if your past self dies your future self should also be dead.

Autumn unhinged though :shaq:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

585f7706fc8845de3ce751e12551db3e.gif