Opinion article in Boston Globe says Haiti should give up sovereignty

concise

Veteran
Daps
:skip: Does that clown @ejthompson23 still post here? I know he would love this.

Richard Albert: Haiti should relinquish its sovereignty - The Boston Globe

I moved back to my native Quebec from Port-au-Prince not long before Haiti adopted its constitution 30 years ago. Since then, Haitians have failed to build the democracy they envisioned for their new era of constitutionalism. Military rule, a legacy of colonial devastation, natural disasters and two coups — one engineered by the United States — certainly have not helped.

The truth is that the constitution has not made much of a difference because the country needs a far more dramatic intervention. Nearly every part of everyday life is worse now than it was then. Conditions are so unspeakably awful that some find themselves recalling with misplaced affection the days of the Duvalier dictatorship.

The problem rests not with the Haitian people but with their leaders. This year on the occasion of the constitution’s 30th anniversary, the Chamber of Deputies launched nationwide public consultations on how to amend the Haitian Constitution to rebuild faith in the country’s corrupt public institutions.

Yet there is little reason to believe that constitutional amendments will do anything to give Haiti and its long-suffering citizens what they need most: political leaders inspired by an ethic of public service, not driven by narrow self-interest. History has proven that the political class has neither incentive nor interest to put the country first.

The answer may be Canada, for years one of Haiti’s most loyal friends and foreign aid donors — and today one of the most popular destinations for the diaspora. Canadians today yearn for real influence in the world, and there may be no better way than building Haiti anew drawing from Canada’s values of equality, diversity, and compassion, and its unique expertise in humanitarian assistance. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is still looking for a major foreign policy achievement since his election in 2015, and this commitment could leave a legacy that would match his father’s own achievements as prime minister.

Critics would be right to wonder whether Haiti would remain a country in the conventional sense of the term. We live in a post-Westphalian world, but the organizing logic of countries today remains rooted in traditional understandings of the nation-state. We hold sometimes too strongly to the idea that a country is sovereign — all-powerful within its jurisdiction and an independent actor beyond its borders — to fully appreciate that external pressures are not only a reality of our global order but often also a force for good.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Albert_2015.jpg

fukk this c00n, somebody needs to see him on some real shyt and show him what's up for this bullshyt.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
The Haitians rose up and won their freedom. Whites ain't never gonna stop fukking with them because of that

Hell that hsit made france pull back and the usa was able to get Louisiana
France gave up Louisiana because they were flat broke.
Napolean got the land back from spain and some warships and placing spanish royalty on the throne, and was going to flip it to the highest bidder so he could get funds to go to war against Britain

AndroidHero

Superstar
Daps
Albert_2015.jpg

fukk this c00n, somebody needs to see him on some real shyt and show him what's up for this bullshyt.

Is he Haitian? He looks mixed, maybe he just wants mixed people in Haiti to have the power they use to have under colonial role ?

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
:comeon: Why don't these clowns repay Haiti the indemnity we had to pay under the mulatto coward that was Boyer:comeon:. FOH and there is c00ns in the Haitian diaspora that spout this nonsense. No wonder so many Haitians are distrustful of the Diaspora because we got bozos like these saying this nonsense. And he looks mulatto. I swear Haitian mulattos historically be on this type of stupid shyt. Alot of the problems in Haiti is because of foreign interference. And let us not forget Canada had a hand in the 2004 uprising as well. fukking clowns have no pride. Why can't we fix our own nation instead of giving up our national sovereignty. It would be like Dessalines, Christophe, Toussaint and the others fought for no reason. Gutless so gutless.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
:comeon: Why don't these clowns repay Haiti the indemnity we had to pay under the mulatto coward that was Boyer:comeon:. FOH and there is c00ns in the Haitian diaspora that spout this nonsense. No wonder so many Haitians are distrustful of the Diaspora because we got bozos like these saying this nonsense. And he looks mulatto. I swear Haitian mulattos historically be on this type of stupid shyt. Alot of the problems in Haiti is because of foreign interference. And let us not forget Canada had a hand in the 2004 uprising as well. fukking clowns have no pride. Why can't we fix our own nation instead of giving up our national sovereignty. It would be like Dessalines, Christophe, Toussaint and the others fought for no reason. Gutless so gutless.

I kept saying Northeast Haitians are among the WOAT especially those from Boston. Yet some looked at me as crazy.