On this day 1943: Black US soldiers had to defend themselves from white US soldiers on British soil

cole phelps

Superstar
Daps
Thanks OP for the drop. I don't know how I missed this thread. Didn't know about this.

While some black women frivolously talk about "divesting", these were the original divesters. And I don't blame them one bit. More black men need to think about "divesting" to preserve our own mental health.

Yeah, but there was a difference between American blacks and immigrants from the West Indies, Jamaica, and Africa.

It's well documented that American blacks historically were treated different than West Indian and African immigrants in Europe. Black Americans enjoyed popularity, especially during that time, because of our music (Jazz/Blues), our literature (Baldwin), our artist (Delaney), and our efforts in the war. And I still see it when I travel today.

Europeans typically viewed black Americans the same way Americans try to view Nigerians here, like a model minority, whereas West Africans in Europe took on all the negative stereotypes that we have in America.

White people everywhere are twisted for sure but from all accounts that I've read and of personal accounts of family members who served in Europe, Black Americans were not facing much discrimination even in remote places like Northern England. They were viewed as "cool."
Yep this dates back to ww1 Negrophilia - Wikipedia