đź–¤GhettoEmpressđź–¤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Selective breeding is genetic modification. :snoop:

I could be misunderstanding, however I see it like this

Selective breeding is different from being Artificially made.

Choosing a specific person to have children with naturally is selective breeding
Going through IVF is artificial insemination

Richard Glidewell

Superstar
Daps
All fruits and veggies are modified. I know I don't want to eat a seeded banana

main-qimg-2125e00e0d81c5037fd8eb033386c7d1-lq
Again, selective breeding......fun fact though, the banana is on the verge of extinction......

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
They're playing semantics. Selective breeding is genetic manipulation. The flimsy shield they've always tried to hide behind is what it's used for, i.e. "desirable traits"...which is how you end up with dog breeds that have severe physical/aggression problems and can't live past a certain age without pain or various diseases popping up more than the average. In livestock and poultry very few ask what the long term effects are, any more than that same farmer could tell you what the long term effects of breeding out seeds from fruit and veggies are. Nobody asks, it's just profit incentive all the way down. In humans...well you know how that dance goes.

Take a wild guess why there exists the term seed bank.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I could be misunderstanding, however I see it like this

Selective breeding is different from being Artificially made.

Choosing a specific person to have children with naturally is selective breeding
Going through IVF is artificial insemination
Well the issue is people hear genetic modification and their minds go to artificial lab made. People don't consider shyt that happens outside labs science. We have been scientists before labs. We altered our food.

What you described would still not make a child artificial just the process of fertilization. Selective breeding is still not a naturally occuring process. We made our food bountiful through thousands of years of slow modification. A lab can do that with gene editing in a few generations.

Instead of us fearing science we need to understand it so we know and understand the processes occuring in order to know when there's actual harm being done rather than being generally suspicious. For example when they alter seed for pest resistance what does it actually mean. Also how the farming industry altered seed to keep farmers buying every year instead of reusing seed from harvest. There's reasons to be suspicious but it your be informed not just conspiracy.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
You know good and well he's talking about lab modification not pollenization. :ufdup:
Selective breeding in a lab is still the same as doing it naturally just faster. It's like doing calculus with your mind vs a calculator. The right answer would be the same regardless of the process. It's all genetic modification. Now if he said they were gene editing those things you might have a point. Depends on the type of modifications he is talking about.

The issue her was him the farmer and even posters here don't consider selective breeding gene modification which is false.