Daps
I know Fulanis have more elongated features. But what "distinctive look" do you mean? Maybe @Mhofu can add as he is a expect in defining phenotypes of African people.
By distinctive I mean you can tell them when you see them. I did notice the enlongated features and it seems like the Mande women have them too.
It's more a West African Sahelian phenotype.
West African Sahelian - Usually tall, dark skinned, slim, narrower head, longer nose, not so wide faced. Common throughout the West African Sahel yet found in many peoples and places across West Africa.
Senegalid

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Even before I saw the Akan headware on that woman I could tell that she was not Mande or Fulani, because had a rounder head shape. I am guessing that since she in the Ivory Coast then she is Baoule or Abron/Brong. Based on this lady's look I wonder if Serena and Venus Williams are Akan.
:ohhh:

I'm surprised you haven't been to Africa.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I was in Sierra Leone last year. This year I am still hoping to make it to Ghana, but is my schedule is stupid right now.
:whoo::whoo:

Why didn't you tell a breh. I'm hopefully tryna go back to Africa next year. How often do you travel? Anyways, how was Sierra Leone and how did they view you as an ADOS?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's more a West African Sahelian phenotype.
West African Sahelian - Usually tall, dark skinned, slim, narrower head, longer nose, not so wide faced. Common throughout the West African Sahel yet found in many peoples and places across West Africa.
Senegalid

Yup and it a very common phenotype among African Americans and that is shape of my head. I am also probably pretty close to that Sudanid phenotype.

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:whoo::whoo:

Why didn't you tell a breh. I'm hopefully tryna go back to Africa next year. How often do you travel? Anyways, how was Sierra Leone and how did they view you as an ADOS?

I mentioned that I went there. I was there for 10 days to visit the slave fort at Bunce Island and to see Freetown. My plan is to try to travel to the continent once a year, but family and work may make that very difficult.

Sierra Leone was very beautiful and the weather was much more pleasant than I thought it would be. The people there are aware of their connection to African Americans and if you travel up to Bunce Island you will see the sign indicating that the slaves taken from there were shipped to Georgia and South Carolina. The people taken from Sierra Leone included the Mandingo, Mende, Temne, Limba and Fulani. I traced my mother's DNA back to the Mende/Mandingo/Mande people, which is why I went to Sierra Leone. My visit to Ghana is to my father's line is from, because my pop was Bissa/Mandingo/Mande people who live mostly in Burkina Faso but also in Northeastern Ghana. Here is the signage from Bunce Island.

bunce_island.jpg
Bunce%2BIsland_037.JPG

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I mentioned that I went there. I was there for 10 days to visit the slave fort at Bunce Island and to see Freetown. My plan is to try to travel to the continent once a year, but family and work may make that very difficult.

Sierra Leone was very beautiful and the weather was much more pleasant than I thought it would be. The people there are aware of their connection to African Americans and if you travel up to Bunce Island you will see the sign indicating that the slaves taken from there were shipped to Georgia and South Carolina. The people taken from Sierra Leone included the Mandingo, Mende, Temne, Limba and Fulani. I traced my mother's DNA back to the Mende/Mandingo/Mande people, which is why I went to Sierra Leone. My visit to Ghana is to my father's line is from, because my pop was Bissa/Mandingo/Mande people who live mostly in Burkina Faso but also in Northeastern Ghana. Here is the signage from Bunce Island.

bunce_island.jpg
Bunce%2BIsland_037.JPG

:wow::wow::wow:

How was the development of the capital?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:wow::wow::wow:

How was the development of the capital?

It is coming along. They are building roads, but I don't the trust the Chinese that are there. They need to build a bridge connecting Lungi to Freetown, because that ferry sucks. Freetown itself is a poor city, but there is a lot of stuff going on and it has a lot of potential; it is only a matter time before the Country economy really improves. They need a new airport, but for right now they just need to continue building up the infrastructure. It is a beautiful country. I could retire there, because I like beaches, mountains, historic islands and Black people.

I was most surprised by how close Guinea and Liberia are to Sierra Leone, which made it understand the Mane invasion. They are really close together and if the infrastructure re and roads improve in those Countries I really believe that African Americans should consider those 3 countries as well as Ivory Coast and Ghana as investment opportunities. It is really nice in those areas and the people were really nice.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
She is Fulani. Heck many of these Guineans posted are Fulanis. Guinea is split between Fulani and Mandinka 50-50.
yup, and that is how the Mande's keep power in Guinea. technically Fulani are still the majority tribe but the Mande group is divided between Mandingo and Suso. when it comes to voting, they just all vote for which over Mande has a chance of winning.
Isha Sesay is a Suso from Sierra Leone so you can bet Suso regions are near Sieera Leone border. I use to live in Nzerekore,near the Liberian border when I was young. lots of Mandingo and Kpelleh people, I'm part Kpelleh. Conakry was slightly more Fulani

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
yup, and that is how the Mande's keep power in Guinea. technically Fulani are still the majority tribe but the Mande group is divided between Mandingo and Suso. when it comes to voting, they just all vote for which over Mande has a chance of winning.
Isha Sesay is a Suso from Sierra Leone so you can bet Suso regions are near Sieera Leone border. I use to live in Nzerekore,near the Liberian border when I was young. lots of Mandingo and Kpelleh people, I'm part Kpelleh. Conakry was slightly more Fulani

I guess we are cousins, because my mother's family are Mende.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Someone told me that Sira Kante and Mariama Diallo are Mandinka and not Fulani and so the bolded may hold true.
Kante is a straight up Mandingo name. But she herself claimed she's Fulani. Her father probably Mandingo and mother Fulani.

but "Mariama" and "Diallo" are like the prototypical fulani names. don't know her case

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Kante is a straight up Mandingo name. But she herself claimed she's Fulani. Her father probably Mandingo and mother Fulani.

but "Mariama" and "Diallo" are like the prototypical fulani names. don't know her case

It is kind of like the name Kamara. That is a Mandingo/Mande name, but when I was in Sierra Leone I met Limba and Temne people with that name too. I think that name came from the Mane invaders and it was passed on to the coastal people. I think that the name Massaquoi is the same way.