Official Tokyo 2021 Olympics thread

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
The first 200m women's semifinal is up in a few hours at 6:25 am ET.

Shelly ann got the best heat

upload_2021-8-1_23-57-36.png

heat 2 is tough got mboma, thomas and herah thompson only top 2 get the auto qualifier for the final

upload_2021-8-1_23-58-18.png

heat 3

upload_2021-8-1_23-59-22.png

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
i don't get how she can't run the 400m but she can the 200m :dahell:

It all goes back to incredible bullshyt with the whole Caster Semenya controversy. They passed a rule specifically designed to eliminate her alone, so the rule ONLY applies to the events she ran (400, 800, and 1500). It's some of the most blatant bs I've seen.

Think about it this way - the New Zealand weightlifter who was born a man only has to keep testosterone levels below 10 nmol/L to qualify, but Caster and anyone else running 400-1500 has to keep their levels below 5 nmol/L. That's how determined they were to keep her out. Anyone else running any other event only has to adhere to the 10 nmol/L rule.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
It all goes back to incredible bullshyt with the whole Caster Semenya controversy. They passed a rule specifically designed to eliminate her alone, so the rule ONLY applies to the events she ran (400, 800, and 1500). It's some of the most blatant bs I've seen.

Think about it this way - the New Zealand weightlifter who was born a man only has to keep testosterone levels below 10 nmol/L to qualify, but Caster and anyone else running 400-1500 has to keep their levels below 5 nmol/L. That's how determined they were to keep her out. Anyone else running any other event only has to adhere to the 10 nmol/L rule.

thanks for the explanation because I never got it before but now I see. Utterly ridiculous, I wonder if Mboma wins the 200m or medals (who knows if she's holding back kind of like what caster always did) will people be up in arms

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
What is this business about women being restricted to certain races because of natural testosterone levels but transgenders being free to compete in other comps? :dwillhuh:

It's all about how much hate they had for Caster Semenya.

Women/intersex with high testosterone levels have been competing in the Olympics for 100 years. But they were so pissed off about a Black woman doing it that they wrote in a special rule against Caster that applied ONLY to the 400/800/1500. She even appealed that shyt with the European Court of Human Rights, I'm not sure what happened. The fact that someone born a complete man has looser rules to qualify than someone like her is insanity.

Oldschooler

All Star
Daps

I personally feel women should be allowed to compete in men's competition but any male born/intersex transgendered shouldn't be allowd to compete in women's competition to be fair. Where do we draw the line though? We know women and men are inherently different physically. But there's also extremely rare cases where there are ambiguous "intersex" people which are born....how is this characterized? I guess the Olympics has ultimately made testosterone testing the method of choice?

paperbag

Death to the demoness Allegra Geller
Daps

It's all about how much hate they had for Caster Semenya.

Women/intersex with high testosterone levels have been competing in the Olympics for 100 years. But they were so pissed off about a Black woman doing it that they wrote in a special rule against Caster that applied ONLY to the 400/800/1500. She even appealed that shyt with the European Court of Human Rights, I'm not sure what happened. The fact that someone born a complete man has looser rules to qualify than someone like her is insanity.
Its not about hate, she's technically a male with XY chromosomes, vagina on the outside testes on the inside, no ovaries no uterus. So they made special rules because it's not her fault but they need to try to be fair to the actual female competitors. If mboma or masilingi win the 200, I'm sure the rule will be changed to include that race distance as well

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I personally feel women should be allowed to compete in men's competition but any male born/intersex transgendered shouldn't be allowd to compete in women's competition to be fair. Where do we draw the line though? We know women and men are inherently different physically. But there's also extremely rare cases where there are ambiguous "intersex" people which are born....how is this characterized? I guess the Olympics has ultimately made testosterone testing the method of choice?

Of course, you have to draw the line somewhere. And if you have to pick a single criteria, testosterone is a fair criteria to pick. I just think the bullshyt is setting one criteria for the 400/800/1500 just cause a few women were shook of Castor, and then setting a different criteria for literally every other event. There was zero justification, ever, for not having the same criteria for every event.

Its not about hate, she's technically a male with XY chromosomes, vagina on the outside testes on the inside, no ovaries no uterus. So they made special rules because it's not her fault but they need to try to be fair to the actual female competitors. If mboma or masilingi win the 200, I'm sure the rule will be changed to include that race distance as well
She's intersex and was identified as female at birth, raised female, and identifies as female. If they want to be fair then just make her follow the same rules as for every other event - 10 nmol/L. A healthy male has 10-30 nmol/L, below 10 nmol/L is unusual for men. 5-10 nmol/L is in-between and ambiguous, personally I think its fair to have women who are naturally in that range to compete as females cause otherwise they can't compete at all, they're never going to qualify for male races. But Castor could have qualified under that rule, so they changed the cutoff to just 5 nmol/L for her events to make sure she couldn't compete.

It's hate because they had a different rule for her event than for every other event.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Daps
Yo until you said that I'd been wondering why they so extra with it on every single point. :deadrose:

:russ:

At first I thought it was the equivalent of a basketball player dapping up his teammates after making a crazy dunk during a time out.

Until I noticed that the volleyball players was even doing it on a losing play.:dahell:

I'm not a tennis watcher so I don't know the rules and so at first I was gauging who was winning based on who was hugging after a play.

Till I realized both teams was doing it every single play :deadrose: