Official Succession Thread 🟠 Season 4 Currently Airing

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Nah, it's not that simple. Why does she need to be with Tom? Why can't she be single? Half the time she can't stand having him around, doesn't like that he can't clean up his own messes, doesn't like that he's not assertive, is embarrassed that he can't keep up with her family and doesn't appear to be satisfied by him physically.

I don't wanna get too deep because I know the show is lighter than that, but just reading the above couple of posts has me wondering what the Shiv character arc is about and what it's gonna be.

If the roles were reversed, and Tom came from money and was dogging Shiv around like she does to him, their story arc would revolve around themes of emotional and psychological abuse

:mjlol:

I think the shiv arc is about shiv getting power from the only thing she can relationships and career. her whole life is given to her and she tries to get autonomy from either her career or her relationships
she's different politically from the family only because she can be but deep down she's just as republican as they are.
Tom and her relationships are the only things she can control without answering to her father. yeah her father disproves of tom but he can't do anything about it.
that's why i don't see them getting a divorce.
shiv is probably going to be done with the family at the end of the series and will join the turner company

There's another point closely related to this:
When the show started, Shiv was officially totally outside of the family business. Having an easily-manipulated fiancé who is a rising executive in the Waystar Royco organization gives her a puppet inside the family business, yet she gets to keep her "clean" reputation and outwardly express her disapproval of the type of people involved with ATN/FOX news. So, she can claim to be an outsider, yet through Tom she was effectively an insider the whole time.

I don't believe she would have agreed to marry Tom at all if Logan had dangled the offer to lead Waystar in front of her prior to Tom proposing.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
There's another point closely related to this:
When the show started, Shiv was officially totally outside of the family business. Having an easily-manipulated fiancé who is a rising executive in the Waystar Royco organization gives her a puppet inside the family business, yet she gets to keep her "clean" reputation and outwardly express her disapproval of the type of people involved with ATN/FOX news. So, she can claim to be an outsider, yet through Tom she was effectively an insider the whole time.

I don't believe she would have agreed to marry Tom at all if Logan had dangled the offer to lead Waystar in front of her prior to Tom proposing.

That's a good point too.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
If the roles were reversed, and Tom came from money and was dogging Shiv around like she does to him, their story arc would revolve around themes of emotional and psychological abuse

And by the way, I think her arc DOES revolve around her abusiveness/hypocrisy.

Each and every member of the Roy family is abusive in the own way, especially to the people they are in relationships with. Logan abuses all his kids. Roman abused his girlfriend in the first season. Shiv abuses Tom. Connor basically kidnapped Willa. Ewan abuses Greg. We don't see Kendal directly abuse his ex-wife or Naomi, but he throws Naomi away like nothing (or like the Vaulter employees) at the first suggestion from his father.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Nah, it's not that simple. Why does she need to be with Tom? Why can't she be single? Half the time she can't stand having him around, doesn't like that he can't clean up his own messes, doesn't like that he's not assertive, is embarrassed that he can't keep up with her family and doesn't appear to be satisfied by him physically.

I don't wanna get too deep because I know the show is lighter than that, but just reading the above couple of posts has me wondering what the Shiv character arc is about and what it's gonna be.

Shiv can't be single because Logan is old school...if one of his kids is gonna take over for him, they gotta have something that ties them down. This is how a lot of businesses operate. They don't put anyone in charge unless they have something to lose which keeps you from being unpredictable. Shiv gonna have to have some kids before Logan seriously considers her but right now Kendall is the only one of his kids with real life adult responsibilities.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Finished this last week

The ending was enjoyable

I think Roman is going to either commit suicide or kill a family member next season

Not as long as Gerri keeps feeding his demons :mjlit:

I actually think the team of Gerri+Roman at this point is the most competent faction to lead the company after Logan.
Kendal may be the least "evil" of the siblings, but in all honestly he's NOT that good at running the company. His main plan was to make Vaulter the center of the business, and even Roman was able to figure out that Vaulter was a scam. Plus he laughed at Logan's idea to buy local news stations and called him a dinosaur..yet in REAL LIFE Logan's plan almost worked:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

232192659_giphy-92-ecd1c55.gif