mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
brooklyn-hip-hop-fest-lineup-poster-2016-billboard-1000.jpg

Fabolous, Talib Kweli to Headline

The Brooklyn and Queens natives will perform live July 16 in Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO, NY

By SIMONE WILSON - April 4, 2016 4:54 pm ET

Image via Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival

DUMBO, BROOKLYN — Nas, Fabolous, Talib Kweli, Rapsody and DJ Rob Swift will be among the performers at the 12th annual Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival in Brooklyn Bridge Park this coming July 16, according to the event website.

Festival Executive Director Wes Jackson said Monday:

“I am proud of the programming the team has put together this year. Nas was one of the last legends of the game we wanted to get. Been after that brother for six years! The fans (in our office and out) have been on us to get Fabolous as well. He is a Brooklyn king and we are honored to have him on our stage this year. [Talib] Kweli’s art and activism mirrors our own so much that people assumed he had played our stage before. He has been a guest several times but now we have him on that bill for real. Rapsody is an amazing talent that we also have been after for the past three years. She is coming off a banner and Grammy nominated year and I have no doubt people will be thrilled to put a name to the voice on that classic Kendrick [Lamar] album.

We are also thrilled to be coming back to Brooklyn Bridge Park after a two year hiatus in Williamsburg. This is our home and while I have love for up north [Brooklyn], we belong right here in this world class park. We are also excited to be working with our friends at St. Ann’s Warehouse again. Years ago we shared the old Tobacco Warehouse. When I first saw it after their renovation I hardly recognized it. This is one of the most beautiful venues in Brooklyn and we thank them for opening their doors to us.”

The annual festival also includes a series of free lectures, panels, workshops and film screenings in the days leading up to the concert, most of which are hosted at Medgar Evers College in Crown Heights.

"Early bird tickets," of which there are a limited amount, are only $45 this year. Access to more exclusive viewing areas, however, can run upward of $100. All tickets are available here.

Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival 2016: Nas, Fabolous, Talib Kweli to Headline

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA - As far as brand endorsements go, Nas and Hennessy's alliance has been one of the most organic partnerships Hip Hop has ever witnessed. When Nas' name dropped the ageless brand on his debut Illmatic; tenably the culture's best full body of work, a precedence for enjoying the drink in the utmost sophisticated of settings was etched in granite, long before any contract was inked with those legendary three letters attached to it. Now on their fourth year of pas de deux marketing, the world͛s #1 Cognac (by way of sales, not delusion of grandeur) has entrusted the storied MC to narrate the new campaign, "The Piccards" as part of the Wild Rabbit series. The campaign has been privy to numerous awards in the past such as the Cannes Silver Lions Award in Film Craft and the Impact Blue Chip Brand Award and this year's theme centers around the Auguste and Jacques Piccard, the first men to breach new environmental boundaries, by becoming the first reach the stratosphere and reach the deepest depths of the ocean, respectively.

Hennessy recently held a celebratory dinner at The Mondrian located at Ivory on Sunset and HipHopDX were among the special guests who got to gain some exclusive insight on the Nas' latest role within the company before it was actually announced. God's Son engaged in table talk and humbly absorbed every amorous compliment thrown his way but he did take some time out to explain why, of all the brands in the world who can dangle a lofty check, he chooses to celebrate that Henrock.

"Hennessy and I have been working towards the same end goal," he tells DX. "To make sure we inspire people to push the limits of potential in whatever they do. As you may know, I’ve been talking and rapping about Hennessy since Illmatic. In 2013, I was the face of the second year of the brand’s “Wild Rabbit” campaign. In 2014 the Wild Rabbit campaign featured iconic racecar driver Malcolm Campbell – I provided the voiceover for that TV spot. This year, I’m lending my voice for the newest iteration of the campaign called “The Piccards.” The message behind the campaign is all about pushing the limits of one’s potential and breaking down barriers. Never stop. Never settle. I believe in this message. I push my own limits every day, every moment - in the studio, on the stage and beyond so it’s truly a genuine fit."

Nas has enjoyed several wins during his brand ambassadorship but probably the one that resonated with Hip Hop fans the most was his 2014 commercial titled "The Ride,"which showed him casually traveling through the NYC subway system as his personal hometown theme song, "N.Y. State of Mind" wallowed in the background. Nas called the now hard-to-find TV spot "iconic" and reflected on how strong that particular clip was for everyone who witnessed it.

"[The commercial] took my fans through my years of career’s progression and how the world around me changed," Nas said, obviously pleased with the final product himself. "It was a look at the people, places and events that helped shaped my lyrics and thinking. Even though everything around me was changing, I remained true to my craft, specifically through my hard work and dedication to pushing the limits of potential. That’s why I’m so committed to my work with Hennessy; they’ve remained true to their craft, the family and heritage–everything that goes into making them great-through the past 250 years. It’s that commitment to quality is what keeps them successful."

The new "Piccards" rollout injects a bit of marine biology and aerodynamics into the mix, giving the brand's videography a completely new aesthetic, as seen via the exclusive preview below.

"I know the visuals and story behind this year’s iteration of the Wild Rabbit campaign, The Piccards, will capture the world’s attention as much as “The Ride” did," Nas assures. "As for the future, you never know what might happen," he said before adding, "I’ll always be a fan of Hennessy."

Nas Exclusively Details New Hennessy Wild Rabbit Campaign: "The Piccards"

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The ninth annual 80/35 music festival will take place in downtown Des Moines, Iowa’s Western Gateway Park on July 8 – 9. Today, the initial lineup of artists heading to the Hawkeye State this summer has been announced.

Rapper Nas and folk rockers The Decemberists have been tapped to headline this year’s two-day event. Also confirmed to appear across the festival’s three stages includes Lotus, Jeff Austin Band, Craig Finn, Thao & The Get Down Stay Down, Black Lips, Wolf Parade and several others. More acts are expected by added next month.

Tickets are currently on sale (VIP has sold out) via this link and head here for more information regarding 80/35.
8035-2016-Poster-980x980.jpg

80/35 Music Festival Reveals Initial 2016 Lineup

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interview: Nas Talks About His New Campaign With Hennessy and Details the Process of His Next Album
Sources_Chopz_jl4v4y.jpg

BY ZACH FRYDENLUND

Follow Zach on Twitter for jokes and hot takes here.

APR 6, 2016
unspecified_p4bn3z.jpg

unspecified_p4bn3z.jpg

unspecified-1_mzsxv8.jpg

unspecified-2_st6abu.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016-04-06_at_10.47.34_AM_ngbupk.jpg

Nas is an artist who has continually pushed the limits and boundaries throughout his career, which makes his partnership with Hennessy a perfect match. Now, in the fourth year of their partnership, both Hennessy and Nas are looking to take things to the next level with their The Piccards campaign which is set to officially launch online and on TV this month.

For the new campaign, Nas supplied his voice for the commercials, which tells the story of the legendary Piccard family, who have pushed the limits of possibilities for generations. In 1931, Auguste Piccard was the first man to reach the edge of space, completing the feat in a pressurized capsule and balloon to reach the stratosphere. Over three decades later, his son, Jacques, went the other way and became the first man to reach the furthest depth of the ocean.

RELATED
To Nas, the campaign and the story of the Piccard family is inspiring and encouraging him going forward in his career. "The message behind the campaign is all about pushing the limits of one’s potential and breaking down barriers. Never stop. Never settle," Nas told Complex in an exclusive interview. "I believe in this message. I push my own limits every day, every moment—in the studio, on the stage and beyond so it’s truly a genuine fit."

With Nas pushing forward with his Mass Appeal label and new music of his own, the new campaign with Hennessy couldn't have come at a better time for his career. "I believe in Hennessy as a brand and I believe in myself," he said. "Once I learned about the inspirational message of pushing the limits of potential behind the Wild Rabbit campaign, I knew it would stick with people from any background."

And even though it's been four years since Nas last released an album, he's not rushing the process. "I'm letting the music dictate [the direction]. Words can't explain that," Nas said of his next album. "It's going to be a fun Nas album." (:francis:) Asthe wait for a new album from Nas continues, he's still given fans music to hold them over, notably a remix of Future's hit "March Madness." While the remix came as a surprise to most, Nas saw a special connection to the track from the beginning. "My business partner Anthony Saleh works with Future and I've been a big fan for a while," he revealed. "He speaks to things I used to see growing up in Queensbridge. This song specifically has something for everyone to relate to." So as Nas continues to work towards his next project, he's hand in hand with Hennessy on the journey, pushing the limits.

Interview: Nas Talks About His New Campaign With Hennessy And Details The Process Of His Next Album

Daps
Reppin
GSO, NC >>> Land of Oz (KC)

Even iller now that I know the story behind it...

I heard the beat and I ain't know what to write
/First line should it be about the hoes or the ice?
/Fo-fo's or Black Christ? Both flows'd be nice
/Rap about big paper or the black man plight
/At the studio console, asked my man to the right
/What this verse sound like, should I freestyle or write?
/He said, "Nas what the fans want is Illmatic, Stillmatic"
/Looked at the pad and pen, fell, and jotted what I feel/
Been like twelve years since a nikka first signed
Now I'm a free agent and I'm thinkin it's time
/To build my very own Motown
/Cause rappers be deprived, of executive 9 to 5's
/And it hurts to see these companies be stealin the life
And I love to give my blood sweat and tears to the mic
/So y'all copped the LP's and y'all fiends got dealt
I'm Jesse Jackson on the balcony when King got killed
I survived the livest nikkas around
/Lasted longer than more than half of you clowns
/Look, I used to cook before I had the game took
/Either way my change came like Sam Cooke

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even iller now that I know the story behind it...

I heard the beat and I ain't know what to write
/First line should it be about the hoes or the ice?
/Fo-fo's or Black Christ? Both flows'd be nice
/Rap about big paper or the black man plight
/At the studio console, asked my man to the right
/What this verse sound like, should I freestyle or write?
/He said, "Nas what the fans want is Illmatic, Stillmatic"
/Looked at the pad and pen, fell, and jotted what I feel/
Been like twelve years since a nikka first signed
Now I'm a free agent and I'm thinkin it's time
/To build my very own Motown
/Cause rappers be deprived, of executive 9 to 5's
/And it hurts to see these companies be stealin the life
And I love to give my blood sweat and tears to the mic
/So y'all copped the LP's and y'all fiends got dealt
I'm Jesse Jackson on the balcony when King got killed
I survived the livest nikkas around
/Lasted longer than more than half of you clowns