Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Golden G's: Nas & Aging in Hip-Hop
By Michael A. Gonzales | Sep 10, 2013 | 11:36 am | Permalink

aginghiphop.jpg

How Nas has been able to stay relevant through 20 years in hip-hop.
This feature is a part of Complex's Nas Week, presented by Hennessy.
RELATED: COMPLEX TV RECOUNTS THE DEFINING MOMENTS IN NAS' CAREER,.
Like professional sports, hip-hop is often thought of as a being a game for the young. Teenaged wild boys with a knack for poetics practice their sixteen bars in the mirror patiently waiting the day when they too will be plucked from the dense crowd of competitors and placed, as Frank Sinatra once sang, on top of the heap. Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones, better known to his fans and clan as Nas, has been on top for many years. Indeed, it has been twenty-two years since his debut his lyrical poetics on “Live at the Barbeque.” Yet, the kid who once put “Nasty” in front of his name is now a full-grown man turning forty.
While forty might not seem so old, especially with folks trying to proclaim it, “the new twenty,” in the world of hip-hop getting older hasn’t always been a good thing. Unlike blues artists or jazz cats, it was once thought that with rappers it was best to lie about their age or duck out early.
Although some older rappers have parlayed their skills into different entertainment mediums, like co-starring on television cop shows or supplying voices for cartoon characters, others resentfully curse every new face they see on BET, every fresh verse they hear on the radio.
“Ain’t nobody more bitter than an old rapper,” I once overheard Jay Z joke back in the late nineties. Yet, brothers like Jay Z, Dr. Dre and, of course Nas, have managed to stay vital within the hip-hop community even as they slip into middle age. Whereas once rappers, as well as DJs and producers, might have been forced to hang-up their mics, these artists are still recording serious music while also courting a substantial fan base.
“Nas proved with his last album Life is Good that he still puts a level of quality and artistry into his music that most can’t touch,” Fab 5 Freddy, who has known the rapper since early in his career, says.
A painter, film producer and former host of Yo! MTV Raps, Freddy also directed Nas’ prison song “One Love” video in 1994. “Yet, for him to be able to touch forty and still be significant, speaks of a quality that most rappers don’t have.” Like his hero Rakim, the legendary rapper many compared him too early in his career, Nas has always been about constant elevation as an artist and a man. Back in the early 1990s, there were many fresh-faced hip-hop boys dreaming that their lyrics might change the world. However, while there is no such rhyme animal as the humble MC, not every kid sloughing in the pissy staircase or leaning against the Chinese take-out walls had what it took to break out of the hood.
Unfortunately, for the rest, Nas proved to be the best.
Making his professional premiere on the posse cut “Live at the Barbeque,” a track on Main Source’s 1991 debut Breaking Atoms, when he was only sixteen years old, Nas set it off from the first verse, dubbing himself a “verbal assassin,” as he lyrically slay co-stars Fatal, Akinyele and Large Professor.
“After hearing 'Live...' and a two-song demo he did with Large Professor, I signed Nas to Columbia (now Sony) Records,” says Illmatic executive producer Faith Newman. As director of A&R, she worked with Nas for six years. “I knew from the beginning that he was a genius. Talking with him, he had ideas even then of what he wanted his legacy to be. Like anybody with a twenty-year career, Nas has had his ups and downs. Still, at forty-years-old he is at his most creative and thought provoking.”
Former Columbia records rap promoter Tyesha Harris also worked with the gifted rapper early in his career. “From the beginning, Nas was a hard worker who grew from project to project. While other rappers were keeping it real, Nas was putting in the hours. At the same time, he refused to be boxed in by the label or his fans. Nas was more the kind of person who would say, ‘Hey, grow with me.’ He’s made mistakes and had stumbling blocks, but he also had a foundation that he stayed true too.”
Jean Oliver (aka Poke), who serves as half of the production duo the Trackmasters, has also known Nas for two decades. Charged with the job of making Nas’s sophomore record It Was Written (1996) into a pop success story, he clearly remembers going to visit a humble abode in Queensbridge. “At that point, Nas hadn’t made a lot of money," Oliver says. "And when I walked into his apartment, he was feeding his daughter from a can of spaghetti. He’s always been a great dad, one that gave his kids lots of attention. He might not have had a lot of money at that time, but he was ambitious.”
Unlike so many young men who spread their seeds, but pull disappearing acts when the babies begin to bloom, Nas relished being a dad. His own father noticed. “Of course, most people know he is a great lyricist," says pops Olu Dara, now 72. "But much of his drive came from wanting his kids to have more. Financially and emotionally, he’s always been there for his kids.” As a jazz musician, Dara belongs to a profession where getting older is expected. In the world of jazz, forty-year-old players are still considered young, with the real seasoning coming a few years down the line. “Some people don’t expect maturity to happen to hip-hoppers," Dara says, with a chuckle. "But if you stay human, you’re going to get older." Dara has played on several of his son’s records over the years—the most famous example being the cornet solo on “Life’s a bytch.” Nas penned the track “Poppa Was a Player” on The Lost Tapes disc, which he talked frankly about pop’s numerous infidelities as well his nocturnal jazz man ways.
“To tell you the truth, even I’m amazed that Nas is hitting forty,” Olu says. “It’s nice to see your son getting older, but it’s also a little frightening. But, in the world of rap, it’s good for them to see that getting older doesn’t mean you can’t be relevant.”
Writer, musician and publisher Sacha Jenkins met Nas in 1994, when Illmatic first dropped. Putting the emerging MC on the cover of Ego Trip magazine’s first issue, a legendary zine where Jenkins was the editor-in- chief, the two have maintained an almost twenty-year friendship.
“When I’m around Nas, it’s obvious that he’s comfortable with himself as a man,” Jenkins says. “In person and on songs, his perspective on real life is always honest. For MCs who came out during that 90s classic era, he is our elder statesman. New jacks like J. Cole look up to him because of his intelligence as well his style and substance.”
These days, though it seems as though some MCs are getting into the rap genre at a later age than back in the day. Dudes like Juicy J, Danny Brown ain’t exactly teenagers. “There's enough room for old heads and young kids to battle,” Ericka Blount Danois, author of Love, Peace and Soul, Behind the Scenes of Soul Train, says. “Macklemore shows that you can even start a rap career at any age while Nas's longevity at forty-years-old proves that hip hop, like blues and jazz, is timeless.”
As forty-one year old rapper Tech N9ne adds, “Music is the fountain of youth. Aging gracefully just comes with the territory of staying creative and being at the top of your craft.”

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://m.complex.com/music/2013/09/vladtv-true-hip-hop-stories-dj-envy-nas

VladTV's True Hip-Hop Stories
starring DJ Envy & Nas
Posted by Edwin Ortiz / Sep 9, 2013 10:44 am
Your favorite rappers and celebrities dish out the goods on DJ Vlad's new series VladTV's True Hip-Hop Stories, presented by Complex TV. From salacious to hilarious, they reveal the moments you'll never hear about in public, accompanied by priceless animations courtesy of Broken Equipment Productions.

In the third episode of VladTV's True Hip-Hop Stories, DJ Envy reveals the first time he ever met Nas in the mid-90s, which could have ended fatally based on a miscommunication between the two.

The determined young DJ describes how he saw Nas exiting a building with a woman in one hand, and approached the Queens rapper with hopes of sharing his new mixtape. He announced, "Yo Nas, what up? I got something for you," referring to his mix CD. However, Nas took his words the wrong way, and pulled a gun on Envy. Watch above to find out what happened next.

If you enjoyed this episode, watch below where Mimi Faust shares a heated moment in the bedroom with Eve and producer Stevie J.
lol almost the same shyt happend to Steve Stoute :lolbron:

blac_da_rappa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
O City
elmatic.jpg

I know its not Nas but this is an album as a tribute to Illmatic and its old but im sure some have never heard it and this is straight fire.

1. The Genesis
2. Detroit State of Mind (Houseshoes Shout)
3. Halftime
4. Memory Lane
5. The World Is Yours
6. Represent
7. Life’s A bytch feat. Royce da 5’9 and Stokley Williams of Mint Condition
8. One Love
9. It Ain’t Hard To Tell (Pete Rock Shout)
10. Pete Rock Shout

Free mixtape
http://www.datpiff.com/pop-mixtape-download.php?id=m13b91f8

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I did this so ya wouldn't have to go through it. :wow:

Looking back at 40 moments that changed Nas' life.
This feature is a part of Complex's Nas Week, presented by Hennessy.
RELATED: COMPLEX TV RECOUNTS THE DEFINING MOMENTS IN NAS' CAREER
Regardless of where you rank him on your list, it's impossible to have an argument about the "Greatest Rapper of All Time" without mentioning Nas. Over the course of the last two decades, the Queensbridge rapper has released ten solo albums, dropped some of the hottest verses we've ever heard, and earned the praise of his fellow rappers, both past and present. He's a legend in every sense of the word and, even if he never spits another rhyme, he'd go down as one of the best to ever do it.
But Nas didn't achieve legendary status overnight. Quite the opposite actually. While his debut album, Illmatic, did give his career a big jump-start back in 1994, Nas has experienced a series of highs and lows throughout his rap career. Still he's managed to fight his way through it all, assuring himself a place in hip-hop history in the process. So as he prepares to celebrate his 40th birthday on September 14, we decided to take a look back at The 40 Defining Moments of Nas' Career. From Nasty Nas to Esco to Nastradamus…and everything in between
olhfi_nas_kidwave_706089.jpg

Changing His Name From Kid Wave to Nas
Date: Late 1980s

There's no way of knowing this for sure. But we're fairly confident that if Nas had decided to stick with his original rap moniker, he would not be as big a rapper as he is today. Kid Wave's Illmatic? Kid Wave's beef with Jay Z? Kid Wave's marriage to and divorce from Kelis? Uh, yeah, Kid Wave just doesn't have the same ring to it that Nas does, now does it? Changing his rap name may have been the single best decision that Nas ever made.
aeibc_nasmeets_professor_706089.jpg

Meeting Large Professor for the First Time
Date: Late 1980s

Large Professor served as more than just a producer for Nas. In addition to producing a bunch of tracks for Nas' debut, Illmatic, including "Halftime," "One Time 4 Your Mind," and "It Ain't Hard to Tell," Large Pro was also a mentor to Nas and, more importantly, one of his first friends in the music industry. You could argue that without Large Pro, there might not be a Nas right now. And you might just be right.
bxlfu_naslaysdownverse_706089.jpg

Stealing The Show on "Live At The Barbeque"
Date: July 1991

This was where it all began for Nas. After putting in work in the studio for several years with his mentor/friend Large Professor, Nas got a chance to lay down a verse for Main Source's Breaking Atoms album. And he made the most of it. "Street's disciple, my raps are trifle," he rapped, "I shoot slugs from my brain just like a rifle." Just like that, Nas' rap career was born.
namzu_mc_706089.jpg

Hires MC Serch to Be His Manager
Date: Mid-1992

Shortly after Nas appeared on Main Source's "Live at the Barbecue" in July 1991, MC Serch of 3rd Bass reached out to him and asked him to jump on a song called "Back to the Grill" for his solo album, Return of the Product. While working with him, Serch found out that Nas didn't have a record deal, despite his "Live at the Barbecue" verse. So he made some calls and hooked Nas up with an A&R at Sony and got him signed through Columbia Records. He also agreed to serve as Nas' manager moving forward.
woahk_nas_columbia_706089.jpg

Signing His First Recording Deal With Columbia Records
Date: Late 1992

Before signing with Columbia, Nas was just another New York rapper trying to find his way in the rap world. Sure, he had an amazing verse on Main Source's "Live at the Barbecue" on his resume. But that was pretty much all he had. But thanks to his connection to MC Serch, he was finally able to secure a record deal in 1992 and start work on his debut, Illmatic.
aidtb_illmatic_cover_706089.jpg

Releasing Illmatic & Getting 5 Mics
Date: April 1994

When Nas recorded Illmatic, he didn't do it to try and add a classic album to the rap game. As he explained during an interview with NPR last year, he did it to tell his story and document what was going on in his life at the time. "It wasn't about being a rap star," he said about his early rapping days. "It was about anything other than. I want you to know who I am, what the streets taste like, feel like, smell like. What the cops talk like, walk like, think like. ..It was important to me that I told the story that way because I thought that it wouldn't be told if I didn't tell it. I thought this was a great point in time in the 1990s in [New York City] that needed to be documented and my life needed to be told." Nas' documentation just so happened to lead to a classic rap album-and a long rap career filled with defining moments.
iwaih_nasraekwon_706089.jpg

Dropping a Verse on Raekwon's "Verbal Intercourse"
Date: August 1995

Outside of the fact that Nas' guest verse on "Verbal Intercourse" was one of the best verses of his life, the verse also made him the first non-Wu Tang Clan rapper to ever be featured on a Wu-Tang release. And he more than proved that he belonged on the song by delivering a handful of gems on it. It was a great moment for New York hip

Last edited:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
wjnmq_nas_manager_706089.jpg

Hiring Steve Stoute as his Manager
Date: Early 1996

Nas' Illmatic is one of the best rap albums of all time. Twenty years after its release, it still holds up. But it didn't sell all that well when it was first released, despite all of the accolades it received. So when Nas started working on his second album, It Was Written, he parted ways with his manager MC Serch and hired Stoute instead. That led to Nas making a stronger push to market himself to the masses-with Stoute's help-and ultimately forced Nas to start producing more radio-friendly songs on his albums.
jerwa_itwaswritten_706089.jpg

Reaching No. 1 on Billboard with It Was Written
Date: July 1996

Illmatic didn't sell as well as it should have for Nas. So when it came time to record his second album, he switched up his approach. He hired marketing guru Steve Stoute to be his new manager. He recorded songs like "If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)" and "Street Dreams" that featured catching hooks and million-dollar music videos. And he made it his mission to move some units. He succeeded by selling more than two million copies of It Was Written and debuting at the top of Billboard's albums chart.
rvnso_2mega_706089.jpg

Beefing With Cormega
Date: Mid-1996

Shortly before The Firm finished recording The Firm: The Album in 1996, Steve Stoute kicked Cormega out of the group and replaced him with Nature. That led Nas to engage in a pretty high-profile beef with 'Mega, once one of the promising young stars on Def Jam. And while it appears that they've finally patched things up, Nas and Cormega spent many years going back and forth on records like Nas' "Build & Destroy" and Cormega's "Never Personal."
awbxf_2pac_706089.jpg

Beefing With 2Pac
Date: November 1996

After hearing Nas rap on "The Message," a song from his second album, It Was Written, 2Pac mistakenly thought Nas was throwing shots at him. So he responded on "Against All Odds," a track that appeared on his posthumous 1996 album, The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory. When he rapped, "This little nikka named Nas think he live like me/Talkin' 'bout he left the hospital, took 5 like me." According to the Outlawz, the two did settle their differences before Shakur's untimely death. But because The 7 Day Theory included the song and 'Pac was not around to clarify the situation, rumors surrounding the beef have lived on.
pbxcy_nas_firm_706089.jpg

Forming Supergroup The Firm
Date: October 1997

There have been a lot of hip-hop "supergroups" that have attempted to create albums in the past. But most of them have failed to get their collaborative projects off the ground. So even though The Firm's album, released through Dr. Dre's Aftermath label, turned out to be pretty lackluster, at least they saw their vision through and created an album before disbanding a short time later. In the end, the four members of the group—Nas, Foxy Brown, AZ, and Nature—were better off on their own.
bqara_belly_706089.jpg

Co-Writing & Starring in Belly
Date: November 1998

Unlike many of his fellow rappers, Nas never really got into acting. And truth be told, Belly probably had a lot to do with that. It's turned into a cult classic in recent years, but Nas definitely didn't blow anyone's mind with his matter-of-fact acting style. It's probably a good thing that Nas didn't catch the acting bug, though. If he had, who knows what might have become of his rap career?
gruwk_iam_706089.jpg

Releasing His Third Album, I Am...
Date: April 1999

I Am... had one of the most misleading album titles in rap history. Because after listening to it, it was almost impossible to gauge exactly who Nas was. Was he the guy rhyming his butt off on "Nas Is Like" or was he the guy looking for radio spins on "You Won't See Me Tonight"? It was a confusing time for Nas. But despite that, this album did have enough bright moments on it to keep even the most critical of Nas fans happy.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
skluv_hate_706089.jpg

Courting Controversy With "Hate Me Now" Video
Date: April 1999

Nas felt like everyone was hating on him back in 1999. So he came up with the idea to portray himself getting crucified on a cross in the "Hate Me Now" video. It got him a ton of publicity at the time and helped sell a lot of copies of I Am... But the video also had one unintended side effect.
Puff Daddy, who appeared on the song, shot some video of him being crucified as well. He later had a change of heart, though, and told Nas that he didn't want that to be included in the video. So when it debuted on MTV and was included in the video, Puff flipped out and attacked Nas' manager Steve Stoute with a champagne bottle. So the video ended up bringing Nas and Puffy a lot of unwanted attention in addition for whatever good it did for Nas' career.

glnvf_nastradamus_706089.jpg

Releasing His Fourth Solo Album, Nastradamus
Date: November 1999

Ask any Nas fan what their least favorite Nas album is and four out of five will say this one (I Am... has its fair share of haters, too). At this point in his career, Nas sounded like he was confused as to whether he wanted to cater to the radio or cater to his hardcore fans. And the result was a jumbled mess of halfhearted radio records and tracks that were thrown onto Nastradamus at the last minute because of bootlegging issues. The album did serve one big purpose, though. When Nas started spitting again-like, really spitting-two years later on Stillmatic, we all appreciated it that much more.
xxtne_qb_706089.jpg

Showing Love to his Neighborhood with QB's Finest Compilation
Date: November 2000

Nas has always been very vocal about the fact that he reps for Queensbridge. So back in 2000, he put his money where his mouth was and helped orchestrate an entire album filled with nothing but Queens-based rappers. From older MCs like Marley Marl and Roxanne Shante to newer ones like Mobb Deep and Nas' own brother Jungle, he called on everyone to contribute. It was a moment both for Nas and for the whole housing project where he grew
linct_stillmatic_706089.jpg

Releasing His Fifth Solo Album, Stillmatic
Date: December 2001

Nas has released five albums since dropping Stillmatic. So it's easy to lose sight of just how important that album was and still is to Nas' legacy. But the truth is that, prior to Stillmatic, a lot of people were wondering if Nas had lost his touch. His fourth album Nastradamus was perhaps the worst of his career, and no one was sure how much Nas had left in the tank. But Stillmatic seemed to reenergize Nas and gave his career a second wind.
amyyf_nas_jay_706089.jpg

Responding to Jay-Z's Diss with "Ether" (2001)
Date: December 2001

Nas has gone through several different eras through the years—but his career can be divided into the pre-"Ether" era and post-"Ether" eras. The pre-"Ether" era includes Illmatic and It Was Written as well as the more commercial attempts, I Am... and Nastradamus, and lots of obvious attempts at radio play. The post-"Ether" era features the rapper that Nas turned into once he stepped up and responded to Jay Z's devastating diss song "Takeover" and decided to battle him once and for all. That's not to say that everything Nas has done since "Ether" has been great. But his epic battle with Jay Z helped re-establish his place in the rap game and it stands as one of the reasons he's still mentioned whenever the "G.O.A.T." discussion starts up.
ioppf_nas_summerjam_706089.jpg

Attempting to "Lynch" Jay Z During Summer Jam 2002
Date: June 2002

Who thought that this was a good idea? It wasn't. And fortunately, Hot 97 put a stop to it before Nas could go through with it and embarrass both himself and the hip-hop community. Unfortunately, it created a rift between Nas and Hot 97 that took years to repair. But the good thing was that it kept Nas in the underdog role during his beef with Jay Z and kept him hungry. The next couple of years were some of the best of his career.
dlyrj_naslosttapes_706089.jpg

Releasing his Compilation Album, The Lost Tapes
Date: September 2002

Can you believe that Nas didn't include some of the songs that were on this compilation on the albums that they were recorded for?! Produced by guys like The Alchemist, L.E.S., and even Deric "D-Dot" Angelettie and Kanye West, the songs were recorded during sessions for I Am... and Stillmatic. And they were great. Even though the album didn't sell particularly well (it didn't get much promotion at the time), The Lost Tapes proved that "the old Nas" was still alive and well.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
qktiu_godsson_706089.jpg

Bouncing Back From His Mother's Death on God's Son Album
Date: December 2002

Released shortly after the death of his mother, God's Son was more than an attempt to prove that he was the King of New York in the wake of his beef with Jay Z and his monumental fifth album, Stillmatic. On several cuts, including "The Cross," "Mastermind," and "Last Real nikka Alive," he referenced the KoNY title. But on songs like "Thugs Mantion" and "Dance" and "Heaven" he was thinking about bigger issues like life and death. The album as a whole served as a reminder of Nas' greatness for all those who ever doubted him.
ftvqv_123_706089.jpg

Releasing His Seventh Solo Album, Street's Disciple
Date: November 2004

Nas has never really shied away from dealing with controversial issues in his music. Even on his more commercial attempts like I Am... and Nastradamus, Nas slipped conscious records into the mix. But on Street's Disciple, the first and only double album of his career, Nas had even more room to explore his opinions on political and socio-economic issues. The result was songs like "A Message to the Feds, Sincerely, We the People," "American Way," and "These Are Our Heroes."
sskkc_kelis_706089.jpg

Marrying Kelis
Date: January 2005

After meeting at an MTV Video Music Awards afterparty thrown by Puff Daddy in New York City in 2002, Nas got married to Kelis less than three years later. The couple tied the knot during a small ceremony in front of friends and family and in July 2009 they had a son whom they named Knight.
xsxsj_jayz_nas_706089.jpg

Reconciling With Jay-Z At The "I Declare War" Concert
Date: October 2005

We definitely did not see this coming. In the days leading up to the "I Declare War" concert, which took place at Power 105.1 FM's annual Powerhouse concert in Philadelphia, most people thought Jay Z was going to unload on everyone who had ever done him wrong during his headlining set. But instead of letting off a bunch of shots, Jay invited Nas to join him on stage during the show and then performed "Dead Presidents" with him. It was a fittingly dramatic end to one of the greatest battles in hip-hop.
cjhrl_nas_defjam_706089.jpg

Signing to Def Jam
Date: January 2006

Nas and Jay Z didn't just squash their beef in October 2005 and then go their separate ways. Instead, they decided to join forces. Jay was running the show at Def Jam at the time as the President and CEO. And he asked Nas to join him by signing to the legendary rap label. Nas acce[ted his offer and, during a joint MTV interview with Jay a short time later, explained his decision. "At this point of the game, this was inevitable," he said. "What direction is out there for us to follow? At the end of the day, it's bigger than both of us in this rap thing."
wfiah_nashiphopisdead_706089.jpg

Releasing His Eighth Album, Hip Hop Is Dead
Date: December 2006

When Nas started putting together his eighth solo album, he wanted to make a big statement with the title. He decided to call it Hip Hop Is Dead, explained that he wasn't just talking about rap music with the title. "There is no political voice," he said at the time. "Music is dead...Our way of thinking is dead. Our commerce is dead. Everything in this society has been done... I think hip-hop could help rebuild America, once hip-hoppers own hip-hop... We are our own politicians, our own government. We have something to say." On the album, Nas showed that he had plenty to say.
kuksw_nasatvtech620_706089.jpg

Performing at Virginia Tech Despite Criticism
Date: September 2007

Prior to Nas' performance at Virginia Tech, conservative news outlets blasted VT for inviting him to perform at the school just months after the Virginia Tech massacre had taken place. One pundit said that "having a rapper who trades in violence perform at Virginia Tech insults the victims [of the massacre], the university, and the entire commonwealth." Nas very well could have ignored the noise. But instead, he responded during his performance and later accused his critics of "marketing racism." Ouch.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Names His Album After The N-Word
Date: October 2007

During a show in New York City, Nas told the crowd that he had a big announcement to make. He then revealed the name of his ninth solo album. This wasn't just any announcement, though. Because rather than drop some cliche album title on the crowd, Nas told everyone that he would be calling his next album, N****r (except without the asterisks). And he fully intended to call it that, too, until the label powers-that-be forced him to change it to Untitled the following year.
nmuwu_untitled_706089.jpg

Releasing His Untitled Ninth Album
Date: July 2008

When Nas first revealed that he was working on his ninth album, he said he wanted it to be called N****r. But despite initial support from his label, he was eventually forced to change the title. So he took a stand by revealing that if he couldn't have N****r for a title, he didn't want a title at all. "The people will always know what the real title of this album is," he said. The album turned out to be pretty solid, too, and—surprise!—featured plenty of controversial material.
zrsqb_nas_nword_706089.jpg

Wearing a Shirt With the N-Word on It to the Grammy Awards
Date: February 2008

A few months after revealing that he wanted to call his ninth album, N****r (but without the asterisks), Nas showed up on the red carpet at the Grammys wearing a black shirt with the N-word spelled out across the front of it. To drive the point home, he also had his then-wife Kelis wear a jacket with the same word written across the back of it. And they weren't shy at all about posing for pictures in their outfits either. If anyone had a hard time believing Nas was fully intending to use the offensive slur (which some rappers claim has been redefined by the hip-hop generation) for his album title, seeing this should have convinced them.
alvrl_nas_colbertreport_706089.jpg

Battling With Conservative Critics
Date: July 2008

In 2008, shortly after the election of President Barack Obama, Nas felt the need to call out news outlsets that he felt were presenting racist views of America's first black president and first lady. He got 620,000 people to sign a petition against this one particular news network and attempted to deliver them directly to the network's headquarters in New York City. After being turned away at the door, he took his cause to The Colbert Report, where he showed off the petitions, and performed a song called "Sly Fox" for the crowd.
ukfhs_distant_706089.jpg

Collaborates With Damian Marley on Distant Relatives
Date: May 2010

A lot of rappers talk about doing collaborative projects with other artists. But very few actually follow through with them. Nas followed through with this one, though—a fusion reggae, hip-hop, and African music that he first announced at the 2009 Grammy Awards. "We're tryin' to build schools in Africa with this one," he said of the album, called Distant Relatives, "and trying to build empowerment." It dropped a little more than a year later and was well received commercially and critically. Nas even said the experience of jamming with Damian Marley rekindled his creative fire.
vydbu_nasdivorce_706089.jpg

Bouncing Back from Personal Problems on "Life Is Good"
Date: May 2010

Less than a year after the birth of their first and only child together, Nas and Kelis decided to call it quits. Kelis actually filed for divorce prior to the birth of their baby, but the divorce wasn't finalized until the following year. On the cover of his tenth album, Life Is Good, Nas is pictured holding the wedding dress that Kelis wore the day they were married. His album showed that Nas was still a caring father and even spoke of his love for his ex-wife, showing how grown men handle difficult situations.
http://www.complex.com/music/2013/09/nas-defining-moments-of-career/breaking-new-ground-daughters

fnsaz_nasdaughters620_706089.jpg

Breaking New Ground Lyrically with "Daughters"
Date: July 2012

Prior to releasing Life Is Good, Nas was going through a lot of things in his life. His marriage with Kelis was over and he was concerned about losing touch with his daughter Destiny. So he stepped back from everything that was going on and recorded his tenth album, which featured him pondering the good things in life while spitting over beats provided by the likes of J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, Salaam Remi, and No I.D. It was some of his best work in years. Perhaps the most startling record on the whole album was "Daughters," in which Nas spoke with piercing honesty, addressing some of the real-life issues he faced as a father to a young girl who was growing up fast. It was a song that broke new ground lyrically, and demonstrated how a real man faces up to his issues instead of running from them.
agqjk_nas_lauryn_706089.jpg

Reuniting With Lauryn Hill on the "Life Is Good/Black Rage" Tour
Date: September 2012

In early 1996, Nas enlisted Lauryn Hill to appear on "If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)," the first single from his second album, It Was Written. She was one of the hottest artists in music at the time and their duet became one of the biggest hits of his career. Sixteen years later, he teamed up with Lauryn Hill again for one of the most ambitious tours in recent memory. Though still a legend in the game, Lauryn was no longer the hot commodity she was in '96. Nevertheless Nas showed his loyalty and artistic integrity by reuniting with her. Now if only they would get back into the studio again...
btiml_let_706089.jpg

Recording the "Let Nas Down" Remix With J. Cole
Date: June 2013

Even though he's been rapping for more than 20 years now, Nas remains one of the most well-respected MCs in the game. Case in point: J. Cole's reaction to hearing that Nas hated his 2011 single, "Work Out." Cole was so upset about it that he recorded a song called "Let Nas Down" for his sophomore album, Born Sinner. Once he heard the song, Nas did the noble thing by reaching out to Cole to jump on a remix. The best way to stay relevant in the rap game is to work with young up-and-comers. Even after two decades, Nas hasn't lost sight of that. And it doesn't hurt that he can still compete with the best.
jfqze_nas_harvard_706089.jpg

Being Honored by Harvard University With the Nasir Jones Hip-Hop Fellowship
Date: July 2013

Nas has been kicking knowledge to the youth for decades now. But thanks to Harvard University, he'll really be able to make his mark in history. According to Henry Louis Gates, Jr., the director of the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African-American Research, the Nasir Jones Hip-Hop Fellowship "will be awarded to those who showed academic excellence and creatively

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Them articles and videos were dope.

Listening to them talk about Ether gave a n*gga the tingles, instantly put a smile on my face:ahh:

I can remember exactly where i was and who i was with when i first heard that track. Sheeiiiit i dam near crash my car on the motorway upon the first
listen.

Illmatic is Illmatic, period :ohlawd:But to this day i will still tell you It Was Written is my favourite Nas album, without giving a single f*ck

The God MC, 20 something years deep and still on top of this rap sh*t :salute:

:blessed: