[Official] MGSV: The Phantom Pain Thread: GOTY Edition.

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
50+ hours in now.. only at 19% completion. I'm hooked on this game y'all - playing on PS4. It's like the gift that keeps on giving, it's damn good.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance was my shyt before this, what an amazing game played it on the PlayStation and also still playing on 360 with the Definitive Collection.

Anybody currently playing this? Happy to see The Coli got a 431 page thread on this.
:salute:

RoidJonesJr

Superstar
Daps
Never played this but it's free this month. Do I need to know the entire metal gear story to understand this one?

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Never played this but it's free this month. Do I need to know the entire metal gear story to understand this one?

Just watch these two videos, since it takes place before the majority of the MGS games you don't need to know much. Characters from these two videos though appear in V

Summary of Snake Eater (1st game in the MGS storyline)

Summary of the events just before you start MGSV including the prologue, Ground Zeroes (if you don't want to play it)

After this you're good to go. Don't watch Pt. 3

Last edited:

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
No not at all.

They make references to 'incidents' that happened in the past (so in previous games) but the thing with Metal Gear is, the writing and backstory is so hypercomplex that I don't think it matters much. It is Tactical Espionage Operations. You're one dude, working with and leading a group of people as guns for hire and you infiltrate bases with enemy soldiers and you can go rambo or you can be quiet and you got a lot of different cool weapons and gadgets When they make references to previous things you can think 'ok sohh something happened.. ok wow.. ok let's keep playing' and you'd be good.

Now IF you'd ever want to go play some Metal Gear Solid to get the hype or to just enjoy an amazing game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance is your game.

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
Just watch these two videos, since it takes place before the majority of the MGS games you don't need to know much.

Summary of Snake Eater (1st game in the MGS storyline)

Summary of the events just before you start MGSV including the prologue, Ground Zeroes (if you don't want to play it)

After this you're good to go. Don't watch Pt. 3

Dope. Do you know the backstory? Am I the only one who even though I played MGS2 only knows the high level story - there are so many layers and so many incidents and factions etc..

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
You need to play every game, watch every movie, and read hours of wikis to truly understand all the intricacies of the story. MGS is famous for having one of the most absurdly complex stories of all time, but for me, it’s worth. It’s my favorite game series and story.

Huda2daf

Superstar
Daps
I really like how this game ties up the earlier games and connects them to the new ones.

oO J Smooth Oo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uk
You need to play every game, watch every movie, and read hours of wikis to truly understand all the intricacies of the story. MGS is famous for having one of the most absurdly complex stories of all time, but for me, it’s worth. It’s my favorite game series and story.

:salute:

Nothing comes close