LET'S GO TERPS

eRwCjqx.png
Cu4WKro.png

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Sad situation for VCU

INDIANAPOLIS — Mike Rhoades paced the hallways of the 16th floor of the J.W. Marriott, walking the carpet so much he was certain he’d wear a path. At 10:30 Saturday morning, he and his VCU players fetched their breakfasts and returned to their rooms, asked to stay there while they awaited test results. Several players had come back positive in their daily COVID-19 testing, enough to qualify the Rams as a cluster and possibly force them out of their NCAA Tournament game against Oregon.

But Rhoades hoped beyond hope that some sort of reprieve would come, and as the hours stretched on, the 9:57 p.m. tip time nearing, he walked.

A little before 7 p.m., the phone rang, essentially stopping Rhoades in his tracks. VCU could not play. The Atlantic 10 runner-up was out of the NCAA Tournament. “Devastated,’’ Rhoades told The Athletic, a few minutes after the NCAA released the news of the cancellation. “I have no words.’’

This always was the risk of this tournament. For months, NCAA vice president Dan Gavitt has said, “We don’t control the virus. The virus controls us.’’ But the NCAA tried its best to control it, setting up rigid protocols and sequestering teams, hoping to keep everyone in a pseudo bubble for the three weeks needed to name a champion. In the week since teams arrived, two players had to be removed: De’Vion Harmon, Oklahoma’s second-leading scorer, and Georgia Tech’s Moses Wright, the ACC Player of the Year. Six officials got sent home before the tourney, and one, Roger Ayers, is home fighting against serious effects of the virus.

But the games marched on, 16 of them played on Friday night and eight more on Saturday before Rhoades’ phone rang and everything changed. After he processed the news and fielded a hysterical call from his daughter, Porter, Rhoades grabbed Bones Hyland and pulled him into his room. The sophomore guard has suffered so much in his life, losing his grandmother and an infant cousin in a fire that shattered his leg and nearly ended his basketball career. Rhoades looked at Hyland but didn’t know what to say. “He kept saying, ‘But Coach, this is what I’ve been dreaming of my whole life,’’ Rhoades told The Athletic. “When I played on the playground, I used to pretend I was playing in the NCAA Tournament.’’

After trying to console an inconsolable Hyland, Rhoades called his team together. Hours earlier they’d all sat in the hallway, breakfasts arranged on the floor as they enjoyed a team meal quarantine style. He told the players that even if VCU had to play shorthanded, they would fight. “Like a wounded animal,’’ he told them then. “We’ll be desperate.’’

Now he looked in their faces and told them their season and NCAA dreams were over. One player kept repeating, “I can’t believe this is happening to us,’’ but otherwise there were no words. “Just tears,’’ Rhoades said. “Lots of tears.’’

For months, the Rams had been so lucky, hit by just one positive test way back in July. “I kept thinking, ‘I just hope we don’t get it late,’’’ Rhoades said. “I didn’t want to be negative. But you know, it’s the odds, right?” Once the Rams got here, to the bubble, the coach exhaled, figuring he was in the clear.

He takes no issue with the decision, understanding first and foremost it’s about health and safety. Everyone tried everything they could, working with the NCAA medical group and Marion County health department officials, to try and figure out a way around this decision but ultimately there was just too much risk. Now instead of taking on Oregon at three minutes before 10 p.m., Rhoades was trying to figure out how to get his team home.

“We want to get out of here,’’ he said. “It’s just too devastating.’’