Official Lovecraft Country Thread

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Wasn’t HP Lovecraft a racist hack?

Racist and anti-semitic like motherfukka but he is founder of cosmic horror however you feel about his works :francis:

I remember having a debate with @hex that folks don't need to big him up or know his influence to make a cosmic horror story because IMO the genre has always been around right there in the bible :troll: it's just that in Lovecraft style humans ain't shyt. :pachaha:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Racist and anti-semitic like motherfukka but he is founder of cosmic horror however you feel about his works :francis:

I remember having a debate with @hex that folks don't need to big him up or know his influence to make a cosmic horror story because IMO the genre has always been around right there in the bible :troll: it's just that in Lovecraft style humans ain't shyt. :pachaha:

DKt04lZ.png

The Bible is the antithesis of cosmic horror because mankind is front and center in it. God's creation and the focal point of the universe, apparently.

Cosmic horror is basically, Earth is an anthill which could get squashed at any time, and not even maliciously. But because we aren't special.

But you are correct, you don't need to know who Lovecraft is to do cosmic horror. So many people have taken from him the mainstream has no idea how influential he really is.

Carnival Row openly subverts H.P. Lovecraft’s racism

I have a strong belief Lovecraft Country is also subverting his racism. I don't think Peele EPs this if that weren't the case. The trailer alone is giving me those vibes.

It 100% will.

In Lovecraft Country's First Trailer, American Racism Is the Ultimate Eldritch Abomination

And it won't be difficult. Despite Lovecraft being incredibly racist, there's not much racism in his writing. Or it's couched in extremely antiquated terms.

Like @MidniteJay said, humans in general ain't shyt in his stories. Lovecraft is arguably the GOAT when it comes to influence in both sci-fi and horror....and in terms of writing a scene and/or conveying a mood he's among the best....but he writes characters with all the depth of teenagers in an 80's slasher flick. So this can only improve on that.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If you guys want an example of his writing style, this is the opening paragraph of "The Call Of Cthulhu":

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

He wrote this in 1926. He was way ahead of his time.

Fred.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

Actual quote I found from HP Lovecraft about Hitler:

I repeat that there is a great & pressing need behind every one of the major planks of Hitlerism–racial-cultural continuity, conservative cultural ideals, & an escape from the absurdities of Versailles. The crazy thing is not what Adolf wants, but the way he sees it & starts out to get it. I know he’s a clown, but by God, I like the boy!

Daps
DKt04lZ.png

The Bible is the antithesis of cosmic horror because mankind is front and center in it. God's creation and the focal point of the universe, apparently.

Cosmic horror is basically, Earth is an anthill which could get squashed at any time, and not even maliciously. But because we aren't special.

But you are correct, you don't need to know who Lovecraft is to do cosmic horror. So many people have taken from him the mainstream has no idea how influential he really is.

It 100% will.

In Lovecraft Country's First Trailer, American Racism Is the Ultimate Eldritch Abomination

And it won't be difficult. Despite Lovecraft being incredibly racist, there's not much racism in his writing. Or it's couched in extremely antiquated terms.

Like @MidniteJay said, humans in general ain't shyt in his stories. Lovecraft is arguably the GOAT when it comes to influence in both sci-fi and horror....and in terms of writing a scene and/or conveying a mood he's among the best....but he writes characters with all the depth of teenagers in an 80's slasher flick. So this can only improve on that.

Fred.

There is not much racism in his writing? n***** man, The Creation of n******, Red Hook etcetera?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
There is not much racism in his writing? n***** man, The Creation of n******, Red Hook etcetera?

Out of the 60+ works of his that were published? No. You read could 90% of his writing and have no idea.

Fred.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Fred.
That was one of the things I liked most about COLOUR OUT OF SPACE...that alien organism was just doing what comes naturally and wasn't on some "Earth and humans must be destroyed!" mission or anything.