Official Lovecraft Country Thread

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
The pilot episode told a simple story: three characters need to get from one point to the next, and they encounter various hazards along the way. The writers were able to explore Jim Crow-era racial politics, but the plot was fun, well-paced, and easy-to-follow and get into. This episode was loaded with too much vaguely-explained lore and backstory that it weighed everything down.

FWIW, I found this to be the least interesting part of the book too for the same reason. The storyline with the cult obviously continues forward, but there are some fun stories that we get in the meantime in the novel. Hopefully the show maintains more strongly episodic storytelling in the future.

I wish more writers would understand that no one really cares about lore. We care about characters. The lore only ever matters to the audience insofar as it matters to the characters. ‘Tic doesn’t give a shyt about anything having to do with the lodge or what the cultists are after. He’s only there because they have his dad and are holding everyone hostage. So you just watch, bored, at that entire climax because nothing about it is going to matter to characters that we actually care about.

This episode was pretty much just setting up for the rest of the season. But hopefully we can get back to more episodic storytelling next week.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Just finished and agreed with some of the comments a lot was packed into this episode :whew:

Reading how the season was structured and each episode acting as a short story of sorts, I'm not concerned with the season going forward.

Tic going from racist sheriffs to monster dogs to white wizards :picard:. I did like the scene of him communicating with his uncle using Morse code.

Did not expect that ending and Tic's reaction, along with the song playing was :mjcry:

Looking forward to what next week has in store.

Daps
Thought the episode was dope aside from the middle with the fear hallucinations. That ending with his ancestor guiding him outside :whoo:
Of course everyone here hates this episode. It was crazy tho :pachaha:

I'm wondering if the story just went over a lot of folks heads

I had no problem with the pacing or the events of this episode

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I’m still not impressed. The father doesn’t seem worth hooking the first two eps on finding and losing characters.

Lost had characters in plights but they needed to stay alive to be rescued and the decisions they made to survive shows their character.

I cared about the characters saving each other but the goal didn’t live up to it.