Official John Wick: Chapter 2 Thread

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Let's start with the good.

It may be the best lit movie of 2017. The production design is sometimes is really on point. It's like they picked locations based on if they could do something interesting with colors. Felt like top tier Bond in few scenes. Keanu Reeves does his thing. The fighting in the first scene.

The bad.

I could write "Almost everything" and call it a day but since the Film Room needs a good discussion in 2018.

Along with the bad guy in Ant-Man the villain in John Wick 2 is the first one in films in the last 10 years, at least. It would be ok if it was played for laughs but it's not. In the first one you knew the bad guy didn't stand a chance, that was kinda the point. But here we have a man who's a high ranking member of this world wide guild of assassins, the same guild John Wick is a part of. The same John Wick the movie says he knows well enough to sign off and do him a favour because John Wick is the best. He needs the ghost. He then tries to kill John Wick. Why? To close the loop and get revenge for his sister, which makes no sense. He knows John Wick is basically Superman. There is no amount of hubris to be this dumb. On the top of that he seems to have almost no skills compared to other assassins in the film. Why do other members of the kill guild work as bodyguards for other memebers? They are fukkin' assassins, I've heard about people being overqualified for a job but c'mon. The killing went full parody starting with the catacombs It's basically this scene.

The world building is terrible. Those coins make no sense. He pays the same amount for the suit, which seems to made out of adamantium, and is paid for a drink. He also pays one coin to the bum assassins to kill other assassins, safe his life and get him to safe place but pays 3 coins for getting a look at some underground tunnel plans. The Hotel is all about rules, rules, rules like both movies have said. You can't spill blood on the hotel grounds. John Wick just walks out. He returns (for some reason) to the manager at the fountain, know he'll be killed. Dude tells him he's out, which he would've known, and that he's got one hour. Then John Wick runs. He could've done it the day before but noooooooooope. Btw. KR make-up in the fountain scene terrible, they clearly added another layer of CGI make-up on real makeup and it makes him look like a CGI character. Every 10th person in the world seems to an assassin. The shootout between Common and John Wick when they are on different levels is so lame it's funny. Common is terrible and that goes for every actor not in the first film, outside of Peter Serafinowicz maybe. In the hands of a less actor those lines would've made his scene the worst one in the film. While the reason John Wick goes on a killing spree in the first film was cheesy it was kinda endearing. Here he kills 20-30 dude for a car. The next day he says won't kill anybody because he's not that man anymore, despite having a contract with man who got him out of the game. The bad guy had every right to blow up his house. The concept of the bum assassins as another guild was laughble, even in this world.

I might add on.

A few corrections
the bad guy in Wick 2 isn't a member of the assiasians guild. He is a member of the underworld in a crime family that has a seat at the table that runs it along with other members. He isn't a trained assasin, just a criminal born to an influential family. All the high table members are nothing but criminal warlords, they all aren't trained assassins or anything like that. I don't understand where you got that idea from.

Also Wick went to him to get a favor, not the other way around, and it was his influence that allowed Wick to get out the game entirely in the first place. His desperation made him make a deal with the devil, that is why the old man told him he was foolish to ever give him his marker.

He didn't try to kill wick to get revenge on his sister, he did it for the appearance, so people wouldn't suspect he was the one that killed his sister. A terrible idea, but atleast get the real rationale down right.

The coins make no sense, but they literally tell you in the tailor scene the suit is kevlar lined and bullet resistant.

As for the Continental head, old man loved Wick like a son. That is why he gave him time to run after cutting him off from the continental and its resources. On top of everyone being greenlit to kill him. If you remember the first movie the female assasin who killed the black man, was killed a day later after what she did was found out.

As for every actor in the movie being terrible, never thought I'd hear Laurence Fisbourne, Lance Reddikk, and Ian McShane being called bad actors. But hey taste is subjective.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
This movie was terrible.

Action was repetitive,the world building was completely ruined and the movie became a parody of itself.

Homeless assassin's guild. :mjlol:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
@KravenMorehead™

tumblr_oup04saQ1p1shloiho1_1280.gif

7f36fe5577ea654c8d3610fc197816927d2b05f5434670f476c6e79ccf66e4a7

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Let's start with the good.

It may be the best lit movie of 2017. The production design is sometimes is really on point. It's like they picked locations based on if they could do something interesting with colors. Felt like top tier Bond in few scenes. Keanu Reeves does his thing. The fighting in the first scene.

The bad.

I could write "Almost everything" and call it a day but since the Film Room needs a good discussion in 2018.

Along with the bad guy in Ant-Man the villain in John Wick 2 is the first one in films in the last 10 years, at least. It would be ok if it was played for laughs but it's not. In the first one you knew the bad guy didn't stand a chance, that was kinda the point. But here we have a man who's a high ranking member of this world wide guild of assassins, the same guild John Wick is a part of. The same John Wick the movie says he knows well enough to sign off and do him a favour because John Wick is the best. He needs the ghost. He then tries to kill John Wick. Why? To close the loop and get revenge for his sister, which makes no sense. He knows John Wick is basically Superman. There is no amount of hubris to be this dumb. On the top of that he seems to have almost no skills compared to other assassins in the film. Why do other members of the kill guild work as bodyguards for other memebers? They are fukkin' assassins, I've heard about people being overqualified for a job but c'mon. The killing went full parody starting with the catacombs It's basically this scene.

The world building is terrible. Those coins make no sense. He pays the same amount for the suit, which seems to made out of adamantium, and is paid for a drink. He also pays one coin to the bum assassins to kill other assassins, safe his life and get him to safe place but pays 3 coins for getting a look at some underground tunnel plans. The Hotel is all about rules, rules, rules like both movies have said. You can't spill blood on the hotel grounds. John Wick just walks out. He returns (for some reason) to the manager at the fountain, know he'll be killed. Dude tells him he's out, which he would've known, and that he's got one hour. Then John Wick runs. He could've done it the day before but noooooooooope. Btw. KR make-up in the fountain scene terrible, they clearly added another layer of CGI make-up on real makeup and it makes him look like a CGI character. Every 10th person in the world seems to an assassin. The shootout between Common and John Wick when they are on different levels is so lame it's funny. Common is terrible and that goes for every actor not in the first film, outside of Peter Serafinowicz maybe. In the hands of a less actor those lines would've made his scene the worst one in the film. While the reason John Wick goes on a killing spree in the first film was cheesy it was kinda endearing. Here he kills 20-30 dude for a car. The next day he says won't kill anybody because he's not that man anymore, despite having a contract with man who got him out of the game. The bad guy had every right to blow up his house. The concept of the bum assassins as another guild was laughble, even in this world.

I might add on.

Stick to Rams breh.

The streets don't need your year late reviews :hhh:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Stick to Rams breh.

The streets don't need your year late reviews :hhh:

Whatever, man.:manny:

I just wanted to make sure I gave it a chance before our GOTY awards finish and people have been calling for a better discussion then in the past year so I went in. I also still need to watch the new Apes movie.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Whatever, man.:manny:

I just wanted to make sure I gave it a chance before our GOTY awards finish and people have been calling for a better discussion then in the past year so I went in. I also still need to watch the new Apes movie.
I loved apes. It's a damn shame it didnt get a nom for its awesome score. fukking last jedi :scust:

StraxStrax

Daps
A few corrections
the bad guy in Wick 2 isn't a member of the assiasians guild. He is a member of the underworld in a crime family that has a seat at the table that runs it along with other members. He isn't a trained assasin, just a criminal born to an influential family. All the high table members are nothing but criminal warlords, they all aren't trained assassins or anything like that. I don't understand where you got that idea from.

Also Wick went to him to get a favor, not the other way around, and it was his influence that allowed Wick to get out the game entirely in the first place. His desperation made him make a deal with the devil, that is why the old man told him he was foolish to ever give him his marker.

He didn't try to kill wick to get revenge on his sister, he did it for the appearance, so people wouldn't suspect he was the one that killed his sister. A terrible idea, but atleast get the real rationale down right.

The coins make no sense, but they literally tell you in the tailor scene the suit is kevlar lined and bullet resistant.

As for the Continental head, old man loved Wick like a son. That is why he gave him time to run after cutting him off from the continental and its resources. On top of everyone being greenlit to kill him. If you remember the first movie the female assasin who killed the black man, was killed a day later after what she did was found out.

As for every actor in the movie being terrible, never thought I'd hear Laurence Fisbourne, Lance Reddikk, and Ian McShane being called bad actors. But hey taste is subjective.

If this dude wasn't a member of guild the movie did not make that clear at all. Like why would he be allowed in the hotel otherwise?
If you are right, the world building is wack. If I'm right he's the most unskilled assassain ever.
Both things are bad.

Your other points are just strange. It's like you either didn't read what I wrote or maybe you are dyslexic. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just baffled. Maybe I'll write more on this when I get home from work but right now I'd like to ask you and @MartyMcFly and @ChuckTaylor84 to reread my post and then your post.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
If this dude wasn't a member of guild the movie did not make that clear at all. Like why would he be allowed in the hotel otherwise?
If you are right, the world building is wack. If I'm right he's the most unskilled assassain ever.
Both things are bad.

Your other points are just strange. It's like you either didn't read what I wrote or maybe you are dyslexic. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just baffled. Maybe I'll write more on this when I get home from work but right now I'd like to ask you and @MartyMcFly and @ChuckTaylor84 to reread my post and then your post.

He’s a part of that world. You don’t have to be in an assassin or to enter a continental. The rules never said that. Members of that world, whether they be assassins or council members or whatever, are allowed there. It’s sacred ground. So no the world building isn’t wack. You assumed something that was never stated.

StraxStrax

Daps
He’s a part of that world. You don’t have to be in an assassin or to enter a continental. The rules never said that. Members of that world, whether they be assassins or council members or whatever, are allowed there. It’s sacred ground. So no the world building isn’t wack. You assumed something that was never stated.

Even the John Wick wiki says the hotel is for assassins. Just having us talking about this shows how unclear and bad the world building is.
Would the BumSquad be let it?
How do you get membership?
How would you know of this place without being a part of it?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Even the John Wick wiki says the hotel is for assassins. Just having us talking about this shows how unclear and bad the world building is.
Would the BumSquad be let it?
How do you get membership?
How would you know of this place without being a part of it?

Ah so the wiki is end all be all now? Seriously? Come on breh don’t do that. Idk how it is over in Europe but in the states wiki isn’t exacrly the best place to go for info.

In the first movie they ever explicitly say it’s soley for assassins. If they said it then yes you’d have a case. It’s an entire underworld. He’d know about the continental because he’s a part of that world. You don’t have to just be an assassin to be in that world. Winston isn’t an assassin he runs that continental. There are heads of crime families who would know about it since they’re a part of this world. They know the rules. They know how things like blood oaths work and markers and the whole 9. So why wouldn’t they know about the continental?

StraxStrax

Daps
Ah so the wiki is end all be all now? Seriously? Come on breh don’t do that. Idk how it is over in Europe but in the states wiki isn’t exacrly the best place to go for info.

In the first movie they ever explicitly say it’s soley for assassins. If they said it then yes you’d have a case. It’s an entire underworld. He’d know about the continental because he’s a part of that world. You don’t have to just be an assassin to be in that world. Winston isn’t an assassin he runs that continental. There are heads of crime families who would know about it since they’re a part of this world. They know the rules. They know how things like blood oaths work and markers and the whole 9. So why wouldn’t they know about the continental?

I said "Even the wiki".

My point is that he's shown to have so much power at the start of the movie only to seemingly to have no skills or talent outside of lackluster squad of goons. He's a wet fart.

Let's say for the sake of argument I'm 100% wrong about this. It's still leaves something like 19 other wack elements in world building. I'm not saying you need to hate this movie but I know you are smart enough to see what I wrote isn't some flaming heap of garbage. I love Die Hard 2 but I'm not gonna argue that when you break it down and really think about it Die Hard 2 makes any sense at all.