Official Godzilla vs Kong Thread

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Listened to a podcast yesterday with a guest talking about Godzilla and what the franchise means to him and its origins etc and once again I’m convinced something is lost trying to translate Godzilla to American audiences.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Listened to a podcast yesterday with a guest talking about Godzilla and what the franchise means to him and its origins etc and once again I’m convinced something is lost trying to translate Godzilla to American audiences.
What pod?:feedme:Also, the giant monster thing is more niche here superheroes, buddy cop, war films, hell alien films are just more uh....."believable " for lack of better word I guess? Stuff like The Thing, Alien, Predator, maybe because they're more smaller and just easier explainable I guess?:jbhmm::yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
What pod?:feedme:Also, the giant monster thing is more niche here superheroes, buddy cop, war films, hell alien films are just more uh....."believable " for lack of better word I guess? Stuff like The Thing, Alien, Predator, maybe because they're more smaller and just easier explainable I guess?:jbhmm::yeshrug:
screen drafts. Godzilla vs Kong. The concept of screen drafts is so dope and it’s one I’m trying to figure out how we can do in message board form here because I think cats would dig it. Just can’t wrap my head around the how.

Anyway,I think it’s because Godzilla isn’t ours. Dude went into the Japanese history of the franchise and why Godzilla exists and what that character means to them as a people and a nation. America co opted and appropriated this monster created in the wake of our own country dropping bombs on the Japanese! Lol like how wild can you get? The oppressors took the content created in response to their most violent act.

Godzilla is inherently Japanese. He means more to them than us. He’s a symbol. For us he’s just a giant monster tearing into buildings. For them he’s a metaphor or allegory for whatever bullshyt is happening in the world and mans folly to keep playing God while ignoring nature.

The thing, predator, alien, etc are all American ideas and constructs. Kong is an American idea. It’s why not all J horror connects here as much as studios hoped it would because a lot of those things that scare the Japanese don’t scare American audiences or we have no context. In Japan, ghosts and cats mean something. To us they’re just ghosts and cats.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
screen drafts. Godzilla vs Kong. The concept of screen drafts is so dope and it’s one I’m trying to figure out how we can do in message board form here because I think cats would dig it. Just can’t wrap my head around the how.

Anyway,I think it’s because Godzilla isn’t ours. Dude went into the Japanese history of the franchise and why Godzilla exists and what that character means to them as a people and a nation. America co opted and appropriated this monster created in the wake of our own country dropping bombs on the Japanese! Lol like how wild can you get? The oppressors took the content created in response to their most violent act.

Godzilla is inherently Japanese. He means more to them than us. He’s a symbol. For us he’s just a giant monster tearing into buildings. For them he’s a metaphor or allegory for whatever bullshyt is happening in the world and mans folly to keep playing God while ignoring nature.

The thing, predator, alien, etc are all American ideas and constructs. Kong is an American idea. It’s why not all J horror connects here as much as studios hoped it would because a lot of those things that scare the Japanese don’t scare American audiences or we have no context. In Japan, ghosts and cats mean something. To us they’re just ghosts and cats.
Definitely a big reason his origin is literally an allegory of the atomic bomb and tampering with nature.:wow: Great point about how certain animals and things such as spirits, ghosts, demons,animals like deers, and foxes have a huge symbolism in them. A whole different belief that they embrace and revere. Myths over here like bigfoot, yeti, hell vampires are just used as pure marketing toola:mjlol::mjlol::dead:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Definitely a big reason his origin is literally an allegory of the atomic bomb and tampering with nature.:wow: Great point about how certain animals and things such as spirits, ghosts, demons,animals like deers, and foxes have a huge symbolism in them. A whole different belief that they embrace and revere. Myths over here like bigfoot, yeti, hell vampires are just used as pure marketing toola:mjlol::mjlol::dead:
Basically :russ: we turn everything into a commercial and dilute it to the point it means nothing.

bxrfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Memphis Grizzlies/Auburn Tigers
Basically :russ: we turn everything into a commercial and dilute it to the point it means nothing.

I remember a quote from Ishiro Honda (original Gojira director) and it went along the lines of he couldn't fathom why Americans are obsessed with having to have a way to kill off their monsters. There was a reason why Godzilla was portrayed as being invulnerable to man made weapons, with the only thing being able to kill him another doomsday device just as terrible as nuclear ones.

I feel like that point flies right over the head of a lot of Americans, and it was especially apparent in the way he was so easily killed off in the 98 adaptation. Godzilla is more than a monster; he's a force of nature, and man is ultimately powerless against the forces of nature

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I remember a quote from Ishiro Honda (original Gojira director) and it went along the lines of he couldn't fathom why Americans are obsessed with having to have a way to kill off their monsters. There was a reason why Godzilla was portrayed as being invulnerable to man made weapons, with the only thing being able to kill him another doomsday device just as terrible as nuclear ones.

I feel like that point flies right over the head of a lot of Americans, and it was especially apparent in the way he was so easily killed off in the 98 adaptation. Godzilla is more than a monster; he's a force of nature, and man is ultimately powerless against the forces of nature
Lol funny you say that right as Ken Watanabe said that in the movie I’m watching

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Oh i know.
I used to love Godzillas goofy ass when i was a kid lol
Put some respek on the celebration gawd:birdman:
BasicBeneficialBarasinga-small.gif

:mjlol::mjlol:Had my man on Mars happy as hell after handing out a fade