Official Godfather Of Harlem Season 2 Thread

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I'm surprised what happened in last week's episode wasn't even mentioned, seemed like some sort of continuity error. Still a great episode as always nonetheless. I didn't know it's not airing again until August though.

Like others said about Nigel Thatch, I wish a spinoff series was created around Malcolm X with him starring in it. Literally the most perfect representation of Malcolm X in film EVER.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
Good ep.

I remember sitting in the living room with my fam watching Mississippi Burning on VHS

That Jewish law stuff they kept quoting :sas1:

Chin used to always make the papers & news here in NYC doing his gimmick & wearing the robe. They called him 'The Oddfather'

So Stella is the rat. Makes sense

'The Ballot or the Bullet' .. these Malcolm scenes are hard to watch knowing what's coming

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I'm surprised what happened in last week's episode wasn't even mentioned, seemed like some sort of continuity error. Still a great episode as always nonetheless. I didn't know it's not airing again until August though.

Like others said about Nigel Thatch, I wish a spinoff series was created around Malcolm X with him starring in it. Literally the most perfect representation of Malcolm X in film EVER.

A lot of young blacks would learn more about the great man Malcolm is

The Malcolm and Adam Clayton Powell scenes are more interesting to me than the bumpy and chin

Last edited:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Damn i gotta wait till August for the second half of the season now. Kind of sucks but at least it gives me something to look forward too when nothing else is on TV. This how is so entertaining that the episodes seems like they are over before they even begin.

Wait so we gotta wait until August for the second half? :sadcam:

last nights episode was fire :wow:

I'm so fukking tired of these mid-season breaks I don't know wtf to do :snoop:

Punk ass Lost and Breaking Bad carrying that bullshyt over from soap operas :pacspit:

3 fukking months? :why:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

Punk ass Lost and Breaking Bad carrying that bullshyt over from soap operas :pacspit:

I’ve been waiting a year for Billions to come back, and like 2 years for Halloween Kills to finally make it to theaters this October. HBO cancelled The Outsider. And I still don’t know when or if The Startup will get picked up for season 4. And this will probably the last season of The Good Fight. Was in a horror movie slump so much at one point that I watched all 7 sequels of Bad Ben and Badder Ben etc back to back just because. Kwame Brown waited 20 years for his moment to shine.

You stop your whining and be patient - 3 months is a skid bid.
:camby:
It’s worth it -You gotta wait.
:ufdup:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
While the show is in temporary hiatus- I highly suggest these book as far as historical perspectives
cvr9780684818887_9780684818887_lg.jpg

51SyhnKYgsL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Tremendous optimism filled the streets of Harlem during the decade and a half following World War I. Langston Hughes, Eubie Blake, Marcus Garvey, Zora Neale Hurston, Paul Robeson, and countless others “..
and (haven’t read this yet)
51HAAeJGsYL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The first and only full biography on legendary Harlem gangster, Bumpy Johnson who was depicted in the movies Cotton Club, Hoodlum and American Gangster Al Capone may have ruled Chicago. Lucky Luciano may have run most of New York City. But from the 1930s to the late 1960s, when it came to Harlem, the undisputed king of the underworld was Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson. Bumpy was a man whose contradictions are still the root of many an argument in Harlem. But there is one thing on which both his supporters and detractors agree in his lifetime, Bumpy was the man in Harlem. Harlem Godfather: The Rap on My Husband, Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson is the first complete biography of a man who for years was Harlem s best kept, and most cherished secret. There is also a full chapter on Madame Stephanie St . Clair, the infamous Harlem numbers banker who instigated the famous fight with Jewish mobster Dutch Schultz.
:jawalrus:

The book is written by Bumpy's widow, Mayme Johnson, and details not only his criminal life but also his personal life. This book also details Bumpy's relationship Harlem dopedealer with Frank Lucas, who has called himself Bumpy's right-hand man, but was -- according to Mrs. Johnson -- little more than a flunky.
:mjlol::mjlol:

Truth be told- my grandparent and parents said the same thing.
:francis:
He does not have a good reputation in Harlem, so the fact that his life was glamorized by Hollywood and how much that treatment was trying to glamorize him despite what the common sentiment about him is among those who knew of or about him.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It's frustrating, but I'd shoot them some bail on this one, since this might be due to them having a shortened production schedule due to the Rona, and they just need time to finish up the back half.

That aside, I caught up yesterday. I think this is my favorite show on TV right now.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@til november

Realizing that we have no GOH tonight.
:mjcry:
Reality check sets in -that’s been the night watch routine schedule for the past 5-6 weeks
:patrice:
Withdrawal starts - wtf am I supposed to watch in the meantime at that hour until August that’s engaging as this show
:sadbron::mjtf:
pz2cUW.gif

@Zero was right.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Everybody I put on to this loves it. My mom was legit heated when I told her it won't be back until August :francis:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This is Madame St. Clair - Numbers Queen of Harlem
stephanie_st_clair_numbers_queen_of_1920s_harlem_1050x700.jpg

Madame Stephanie St. Clair: Numbers Queen of Harlem
The colorful career of a woman who ran a gambling ring, fought police corruption, and challenged white mobsters.
Madame Stephanie St. Clair: Numbers Queen of Harlem | JSTOR Daily

COMMENTARY: Remembering Harlem’s power couple

there was ever a “power couple” in the history of Harlem, when it was known as “The Negro Metropolis” and “The Mecca of Black America,” this was it!

She was Madame Stephanie St. Clair, a Caribbean American born in Martinique. St. Clair took her winnings from playing numbers (the grassroots version of what is now called lotto—remember Detroit Red and West Indian Archie?) and invested in herself. Through a combination of intelligence, wits and street smarts, and toughness of character, she rose to become the only woman and queen of the policy rackets (numbers) in a post-prohibition world of classic male New York gangsters.

Legendary mobsters such as the Italian, Lucky Luciano and Jewish gangster Dutch Schultz once made the mistake of thinking that the Queen was a weak link in the underground economic chain, because she was female. When they tried to muscle in on her territory, equally legendary Black American gangsters such as Bumpy Johnson closed ranks around her and backed the New York mob off.

These exploits were immortalized on film in the Hollywood movie “Hoodlum” starring another queen, the late Cicely Tyson, as Madame St. Claire and Lawrence Fishburne as Bumpy Johnson. Further, afterwards the NYPD made the same mistake in judgement as the mob. They raided the Queen’s underground economic centers (ahem), arrested her and locked her up on Rikers Island. St. Clair retaliated by writing op-eds for the NY Amsterdam News, exposing graft and corruption in the ranks of the NYPD, naming precincts.
:obama::wow:

That part!! That paragraph. Solidarity between black women and men as a showcase of strength = unstoppable.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

“That’s Madame St. Clair to You

Picture New York City in the early 20th century. Sure, downtown NYC evokes glamor, but all five boroughs contended with violence, lawlessness, and a rapidly changing society. Gangs ran rampant, controlling liquor, guns, and gambling—but in Harlem, they had their own numbers games. One of the most successful operators not only staved off mafia control during the roaring 1920s, she was also a Black woman. To her adoring clients and even her begrudging enemies, Stephanie St. Clair was the undisputed Queen of Numbers.St. Clair quickly bounced back from the tragedy. She worked her way up the ranks of a local gang called the 40 Thieves, at one point acting as their leader. Between the gang’s loot, and the money she’d saved selling illegal substances, she was ready to begin her own policy bank. However, there were two things standing in her way. One: The local police, whom she handily bribed. Two: Competition. Plenty of other people were running their own numbers games, particularly, the mafia. At first, they left St. Clair to build her business, but it wouldn’t take long for that to change.

St. Clair excelled at running her policy racket, reaching the height of her success during the Prohibition era, when she became known as Madame St. Clair. With the help of her right-hand man, “Bumpy” Johnson, she built one of the largest operations in Harlem. It soon drew the attention of gangster Dutch Schultz, who already had fingers in the pockets of the area’s other policy banks. St. Clair fought valiantly against Schultz. She even had the police raid his house, where they seized about $12 million. While many policy banks fell to Schultz, St. Clair’s never did.”

Harlem’s Queen of Numbers: Stephanie St. Clair and the Gambling Racket