Official Game of Thrones Season 4 Thread *The North Remembers*(NO SPOILERS!!)

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Why the rush?

Mad Men ended weeks ago and isn't active yet is still pinned.

This thread is still popping. It'll die down soon, but let it breathe.

If you guys see a thread pinned for a show that's ended, let me know, because I don't watch every show that gets pinned, or I might be behind on it. Like "Mad Men".

The rush is because of the spoiler complaints, but they've died down for the time being, so I'll let the sticky ride for 2 weeks or so. Unless I get spoiler complaints, then it's coming down, because I'm not trying to deal with that shyt for weeks after the season is over.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
To all the smart people who have decided to read the books after this season @Brozay @Alexander The Great and whoever else, I'm going to make a small suggestion

After A Storm of Swords, George began writing the next book A Dance With Dragons....this book ended up getting out of hand length-wise so he split it up and released A Feast For Crows first. He chose to split the characters up into two different books and run the stories concurrently, which leaves Jon, Tyrion, Dany, Bran, Stannis, and others missing from A Feast For Crows.

Some helpful internet folks have combined these two books together into "A Ball of Beasts" which is a much easier and more engaging read than either of the other two books on their own. I generally always would recommend reading them as the author released them, but I remember back how I was rushing as fast as I could through A Feast For Crows so I could learn the fates of all the characters, and upon my re-read of the series I am realizing just how much I missed from rushing.

So I am gonna go out of the box and recommend reading the combined version instead. Either way, both books are great on their own. They are fantastically written, his best writing of the series, although they are poorly edited and can drag in spots depending on which storylines you aren't that fond of. The combined version fixes this.

You can download it here:
http://www.filedropper.com/ballofbeastsa-georgerrmartin

NOTE: To anyone thinking about reading this and skipping the first 3 books, it is not recommended. Due to differences in the story and stuff still not shown on the TV show yet, skipping book 3 would be a huge mistake. And skipping books 1 and 2 is a huge mistake for other reasons.

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
To all the smart people who have decided to read the books after this season @Brozay @Alexander The Great and whoever else, I'm going to make a small suggestion

After A Storm of Swords, George began writing the next book A Dance With Dragons....this book ended up getting out of hand length-wise so he split it up and released A Feast For Crows first. He chose to split the characters up into two different books and run the stories concurrently, which leaves Jon, Tyrion, Dany, Bran, Stannis, and others missing from A Feast For Crows.

Some helpful internet folks have combined these two books together into "A Ball of Beasts" which is a much easier and more engaging read than either of the other two books on their own. I generally always would recommend reading them as the author released them, but I remember back how I was rushing as fast as I could through A Feast For Crows so I could learn the fates of all the characters, and upon my re-read of the series I am realizing just how much I missed from rushing.

So I am gonna go out of the box and recommend reading the combined version instead. Either way, both books are great on their own. They are fantastically written, his best writing of the series, although they are poorly edited and can drag in spots depending on which storylines you aren't that fond of. The combined version fixes this.

NOTE: To anyone thinking about reading this and skipping the first 3 books, it is not recommended. Due to differences in the story and stuff still not shown on the TV show yet, skipping book 3 would be a huge mistake. And skipping books 1 and 2 is a huge mistake for other reasons.
cool. I actually have A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows PDFs. Now when I get to it, I'll read the combo instead.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Interesting... :ehh:

I wouldnt be getting away from GRRM's vision by reading the combo you think ?

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston

It was always meant to be 1 book but obviously you cant publish a 2000 page book. This combo makes everything flow between the 2 books and preserves the reveals/surprises of reading them separate. Its the only way to read the two books

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

Rob Van Ham already gave a good answer above, but I also want to add that George got away from his OWN vision by doing it the way he did. It is a complete stylistic turn of events the way he released those books, done out of publishing necessity and not artistic merit.

The only reason he split the characters up is because he says "I didn't want to tell half the story for all the characters [in one book], instead I am telling the entire story for half the characters"

His true vision would be similar to what this "Ball Of Beasts" ends up being, although there would have been some further editing done had they all been released as one humungous book

Reading them separately or together honestly makes no difference when it comes to his artistic vision. The only real reason to read them separately is if you want to pick a "favorite" book of the series, cause then you kind of need to know which chapters are in which book. Also, you won't understand the hatred for Feast For Crows unless you read them seperately...because people waited years to find out the fates of their favorite characters then had to wait another 5 years after that until Dance before they got those fates. A decade passed between when Dany invaded Meereen and Tyrion killed Tywin and people still didn't know any more about their story. But Feast is brilliant, rushing through it does an injustice to it.

SkillClash

Banned
Daps
Rob Van Ham already gave a good answer above, but I also want to add that George got away from his OWN vision by doing it the way he did. It is a complete stylistic turn of events the way he released those books, done out of publishing necessity and not artistic merit.

The only reason he split the characters up is because he says "I didn't want to tell half the story for all the characters [in one book], instead I am telling the entire story for half the characters"

His true vision would be similar to what this "Ball Of Beasts" ends up being, although there would have been some further editing done had they all been released as one humungous book

Reading them separately or together honestly makes not difference when it comes to artistic vision. The only real reason to read them separately is if you want to pick a "favorite" book of the series, cause then you kind of need to know which chapters are in which book. Also, you won't understand the hatred for Feast For Crows unless you read them seperately...because people waiting years to find out the fates of their favorite characters then had to wait another 5 years after than until Dance before they got those fates. A decade passed between when Dany invaded Meereen and Tyrion killed Tywin and people still didn't know any more about their story. But Feast is brilliant, rushing through it does an injustice to it.
which asks the question...what will "The Winds of Winter" focus on what characters?