Official Euro 2016 Thread

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
2002 Turkey on the Korea & Japan WC wad their best team

That team... :jawalrus:

I was only 8 but clearly remember

Not to get sidetracked but that cup was what got me on the beautiful game

I turned 13 during the tournament; I grew up in DC and my image of "soccer" was it was a sport for suburban white kids, playing co-ed games, hoofing the ball up the pitch and everybody getting a trophy after :scust:

But I got to catch a few matches during breakfast, and what caught my eye was not only how much more tactical the game was at this level, but seeing strong black players, Sol Campbell in particular ... later catching him playing for Arsenal is what got me on the Gunners' side

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
excuse my ignorance but Northern Ireland has the same anthem as England? :dwillhuh:
northern ireland is basically a piece of ireland the brits carved out for themselves, tons of war/struggle/conflict whatever you wanna call it

One of the biggest issues still surrounding the Northern Ireland team is the use of God Save the Queen as their anthem, and Lowry agrees that it should be changed after a switch of anthem for English teams was debated in Westminster.

“I don’t think we should play it. A sizable minority don’t like it. If the English change it, we will have to also. It’s ridiculous, we’re not playing as Great Britain.”

“I know of some people who won’t go into the ground, who stay on the concourse until the anthem is played.”

In the Commonwealth Games, Northern Ireland use the tune of Derry Air as their anthem, but Lowry believes that as of yet, there is no credible alternative to God Save the Queen

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps

I turned 13 during the tournament; I grew up in DC and my image of "soccer" was it was a sport for suburban white kids, playing co-ed games, hoofing the ball up the pitch and everybody getting a trophy after :scust:

But I got to catch a few matches during breakfast, and what caught my eye was not only how much more tactical the game was at this level, but seeing strong black players, Sol Campbell in particular ... later catching him playing for Arsenal is what got me on the Gunners' side
I'm also an Arsenal fan myself even though in later years I follow boxing more closely than football

opinion o Wenger's position in the club?

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps

I'm also an Arsenal fan myself even though in later years I follow boxing more closely than football

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps

He's an icon but I'm really fed up with his conservative stance in the transfer market/tendency to sign physically brittle players. This squad is missing their Patrick Veiera