Official DOCTOR STRANGE Thread | Multiverse fukkery incoming

peppe

Superstar
Daps
Just came back and it was a good movie :jawalrus:

My biggest fear was how are they going to make a magic movie appealing to the comic fans and the general audience. Because it has to satisfy both parties and bring in box office money.

Quick note for al your drug using brehs, if your on any psychedelic drug this movie will be a trip.

Stephan strange is perfectly acted by benedict, you can clearly see he is a perfectionist with a big ego who thinks he is better then everyone. When they showed his apartment in new york :dwillhuh: All glass windows, the view and his watch collection :mjcry: that ether a broke breh was getting was :mjcry:

I'm not going to spoil it but tilda did a great job, yes she is white as fukk but she can act and did a good job. My nikka Chiwetel Ejiofor did his thing looks like he will play a big part in the next movie. As for the bad guys, you know let's face it it's a marvel movie and we haven't had a bad guy like Negan in like forever but they way marvel does it is pretty good.

Even at the end when he was
negotiating
it didn't feel weird because of the constant
loop

Yes there is humor and some pretty good ones there is one that was bad (personally) and that was the one with the
cape
around the end. For the rest the whole room was :heh:.

Apparently i missed one end scene credit :damn: but the first one is straight :lawd: can't wait for next year. And this is not to act like a marvel fanboy but it feels good leaving a movie and be like.

You did it again marvel :smugbiden:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
98% on RT :ehh:

:doctorshaq:

c45800b82a64a39f8ed82bff7699b4e7bef87d52_hq.jpg

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
I don't trust RT. System there is too binary, any even mildly complimentary review gets a "fresh" rating, or mild pans get a "rotten." Metacritic is my preference even though they also have to sometimes interpret words into scores.

Doctor Strange

As of this post, they average a 74. About what I'd expect. Everybody references CIVIL WAR as being the last really good/great Marvel movie which I do not agree with at all, and that scored a 75 average. So it's a stretch w/o seeing the shyt yet, but I'd say since my subjective preference for the character of Strange is higher than all the others in the complex plot of CA:CW which bored me, this movie should satisfy me even if it doesn't thoroughly impress me. I hope to see it opening weekend stateside but travel plans are gonna potentially fukk wit dat

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
I don't trust RT. System there is too binary, any even mildly complimentary review gets a "fresh" rating, or mild pans get a "rotten." Metacritic is my preference even though they also have to sometimes interpret words into scores.

Doctor Strange

As of this post, they average a 74. About what I'd expect. Everybody references CIVIL WAR as being the last really good/great Marvel movie which I do not agree with at all, and that scored a 75 average. So it's a stretch w/o seeing the shyt yet, but I'd say since my subjective preference for the character of Strange is higher than all the others in the complex plot of CA:CW which bored me, this movie should satisfy me even if it doesn't thoroughly impress me. I hope to see it opening weekend stateside but travel plans are gonna potentially fukk wit dat

Even the director said don't trust RT but really though their rating system is flawed. I forgot what movie but IGN gave it a 7.5 but said it's rotten. Another movie they gave it a 6.7 but a fresh rating :mjlol: if i were a reviewer i would give movies a 1 out 10 but a fresh rating :troll:

Won Won

Superstar
Daps

So just look at the average score out of 10

Metacritic uses unknown formulas in their scores, so I don't see how that's better than a yes/no

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It was cool I guess. Like so many of the recent Marvel solo movies (for the record, I do not consider Civil War to be a "solo" movie) it's too formulaic. I think quite a bit of blame falls on director Scott Derickson who fails to bring the necessary dramatic/emotional weight to even the most obvious scenes. Like on paper you can see all the emotional beats, but the movie never really sells them. It certainly doesn't help that the amount of jokes is Thor 2 levels. Like at this point you can tell which Marvel movies are written dynamically, and which ones get written only to have a bunch of writers go over them and add jokes to every. single. fukking. scene. There's a place and a time for jokes, and between some solid stuff with Strange's cape you'll unfortunately also have to deal with Beyoncé jokes.

Of course the villain is just there also, because why would you give Mads Mikkelsen anything to work with when you can just add him to the long list of MCU villains who want to destroy the world because reasons. It was to be expected, and I honestly am not even bothered by this shyt anymore because it's so predictable, but I know folks are still up in their feelings about this so I thought I would mention it. My bigger problem is the handling of Mordo. They want his character to be one way but they keep hinting the other way, then of course they go the cop-out way and they're just pushing the character too far too quickly without proper build-up.

The second end credits scene with Mordo's heel turn is basically a carbon copy of the post-credit scene of Green Lantern where they had Sinestro inexplicably turn evil with no build-up just because he turns evil in the comics, so you know, why bother actually building up to it when you can rush and spoil it way ahead of time. :upsetfavre:

I also thought the opening was uncharacteristically rushed for a Marvel movie. They normally like to take their time to set up the character properly but after two minutes of selling Strange as a brilliant surgeon he gets the accident and after a slow montage and half a mention of an ancient place it feels like it's barely fifteen minutes before he's already starting his training as a sorcerer. They do find enough moments in the rest of the movie to expand more properly on Strange's character, but again, the build-up just isn't quite there. Especially because after his accident Strange drops one of the biggest HOH ethers I've ever seen in a major blockbuster, and the movie definitely could've used more of that to sell him as the a$$hole he originally is supposed to be.

On to the magic stuff then, and unfortunately it's too much city/house origami and not enough coked out 70s magic shyt. You'd think that either way it would be a visual trip but most of the visuals just end up amounting to a whole bunch of nothing. If an entire hallway collapses and extends and twists upside down and all it does for the person caught in it is make him stumble on his feet, it just feels unnecessary. You never really feel like all that city folding shyt matters that much, probably because the movie almost immediately establishes it doesn't affect "the real world" since it's all mirror dimensions and other excuses to explain why millions of people aren't tripping balls over a city folding over their heads.

What I did love though was the final "confrontation". I know some folks here will probably shyt on it but the conclusion of how Strange handled it felt like something straight out of a classic Stan Lee/Steve Ditko plot (maybe it was?). It was really good but again, instead of focusing on the dramatic weight of the sacrifice that Strange was willing to make, they focused of course too much on it being jokes, hence why I say some folks will shyt on it. But even so it's a damn good moment for the character, and the movie in general and further emphasizes that in the end Marvel movies are always about making you respect the hero's journey instead of secretly rooting for some quotable villain. In a world where WB/DC still doesn't have a clue how to make Superman work, I think a lot of people underestimate how important that is.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps

Doctor Strange

You do realize you can just look at the average rating on RT, right?

I never get the hang up some people have with RT.

The tomatoe percentage is for if they recommend it or not
And the average rating is for the quality of the filmmaking

Two scores that give a solid outlook on what the critics feel. At this point, 98% of the RT critics recommend Dr. strange, but as a film they rate it a 7.3 out of 10.

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
You do realize you can just look at the average rating on RT, right?

I never get the hang up some people have with RT.

The tomatoe percentage is for if they recommend it or not
And the average rating is for the quality of the filmmaking

Two scores that give a solid outlook on what the critics feel. At this point, 98% of the RT critics recommend Dr. strange, but as a film they rate it a 7.3 out of 10.

What a website says is often only as or less important than how it says it.

The "Tomato" gimmick is useless to me. If they're about scoring, they should be about scoring, not burying the number with some tiny font underneath a big red and green bar that misleads you into thinking something is worse or better than it is. That's why Metacritic is my preference.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Even the director said don't trust RT but really though their rating system is flawed. I forgot what movie but IGN gave it a 7.5 but said it's rotten. Another movie they gave it a 6.7 but a fresh rating :mjlol: if i were a reviewer i would give movies a 1 out 10 but a fresh rating :troll:
I actually like that about the system because it allows for nuance.

For instance, I saw that trashy film When the Bough Breaks, and so much of the movie was flat out mediocre or terrible. Script, dialogue, plotting, thin characters....if I was giving it a rating it couldn't be anything higher than a 6/10, BUT I was thoroughly entertained by the fukkery and if I was a RT reviewer I would probably label it a fresh.

On the flip, I saw the Tilda Swinton movie A Bigger Splash. The acting, cinematography, direction was top notch....it's certainly better than a 6/10, but if I was a reviewer for RT I would give it a 7/10 for filmaking but mark it rotten for my recommendation.

I like that they allow the critics to determine if their review is a fresh or a rotten, while also giving them the chance to rate the filmmaking.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
It was cool I guess. Like so many of the recent Marvel solo movies (for the record, I do not consider Civil War to be a "solo" movie) it's too formulaic. I think quite a bit of blame falls on director Scott Derickson who fails to bring the necessary dramatic/emotional weight to even the most obvious scenes. Like on paper you can see all the emotional beats, but the movie never really sells them. It certainly doesn't help that the amount of jokes is Thor 2 levels. Like at this point you can tell which Marvel movies are written dynamically, and which ones get written only to have a bunch of writers go over them and add jokes to every. single. fukking. scene. There's a place and a time for jokes, and between some solid stuff with Strange's cape you'll unfortunately also have to deal with Beyoncé jokes.

Of course the villain is just there also, because why would you give Mads Mikkelsen anything to work with when you can just add him to the long list of MCU villains who want to destroy the world because reasons. It was to be expected, and I honestly am not even bothered by this shyt anymore because it's so predictable, but I know folks are still up in their feelings about this so I thought I would mention it. My bigger problem is the handling of Mordo. They want his character to be one way but they keep hinting the other way, then of course they go the cop-out way and they're just pushing the character too far too quickly without proper build-up.

The second end credits scene with Mordo's heel turn is basically a carbon copy of the post-credit scene of Green Lantern where they had Sinestro inexplicably turn evil with no build-up just because he turns evil in the comics, so you know, why bother actually building up to it when you can rush and spoil it way ahead of time. :upsetfavre:

I also thought the opening was uncharacteristically rushed for a Marvel movie. They normally like to take their time to set up the character properly but after two minutes of selling Strange as a brilliant surgeon he gets the accident and after a slow montage and half a mention of an ancient place it feels like it's barely fifteen minutes before he's already starting his training as a sorcerer. They do find enough moments in the rest of the movie to expand more properly on Strange's character, but again, the build-up just isn't quite there. Especially because after his accident Strange drops one of the biggest HOH ethers I've ever seen in a major blockbuster, and the movie definitely could've used more of that to sell him as the a$$hole he originally is supposed to be.

On to the magic stuff then, and unfortunately it's too much city/house origami and not enough coked out 70s magic shyt. You'd think that either way it would be a visual trip but most of the visuals just end up amounting to a whole bunch of nothing. If an entire hallway collapses and extends and twists upside down and all it does for the person caught in it is make him stumble on his feet, it just feels unnecessary. You never really feel like all that city folding shyt matters that much, probably because the movie almost immediately establishes it doesn't affect "the real world" since it's all mirror dimensions and other excuses to explain why millions of people aren't tripping balls over a city folding over their heads.

What I did love though was the final "confrontation". I know some folks here will probably shyt on it but the conclusion of how Strange handled it felt like something straight out of a classic Stan Lee/Steve Ditko plot (maybe it was?). It was really good but again, instead of focusing on the dramatic weight of the sacrifice that Strange was willing to make, they focused of course too much on it being jokes, hence why I say some folks will shyt on it. But even so it's a damn good moment for the character, and the movie in general and further emphasizes that in the end Marvel movies are always about making you respect the hero's journey instead of secretly rooting for some quotable villain.
So basically this shyt sucks, but of course, the dikkriding eurofag has to drop this to save Disney:
In a world where WB/DC still doesn't have a clue how to make Superman work, I think a lot of people underestimate how important that is.

Pathetic