Official Deadpool Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Why the hell not? Kelly is the one who started giving the character depth in his first solo book. Those 30 issues of his run (not all of it of course) is the material they could easily draw from (which they seem to be somewhat doing with the inclusion of Weasel and Blind Al in the movie, but I'm not seeing much semblance to their roles in the comics yet).

And yeah, Deadpool outgrew Nicieza's intentions but even he largely much followed up on Kelly's ideas of Deadpool as the reluctant anti-hero trying to go good when he was writing Cable & Deadpool, which was the second best run for the character.

Because the first movie is (I assume) mostly going to be his origin and first steps as Deadpool. It's a miracle the movie even got made, it's too much to think they'd cater to the die hard fans by getting in-depth with the character in his first movie. Most people have no idea who he is, which is why the trailer is a bunch of extra goofy shyt. It gets their attention.

A sequel though? It's possible. If they do a few of these and he's only ever doing stupid ass jokes, I'll understand the frustration.

Fred.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Because the first movie is (I assume) mostly going to be his origin and first steps as Deadpool. It's a miracle the movie even got made, it's too much to think they'd cater to the die hard fans by getting in-depth with the character in his first movie. Most people have no idea who he is, which is why the trailer is a bunch of extra goofy shyt. It gets their attention.

A sequel though? It's possible. If they do a few of these and he's only ever doing stupid ass jokes, I'll understand the frustration.

Fred.

It has nothing to do with catering to die hard fans. People have no idea who he is, so they have to tell us who he is and not just rely on Ryan Reynolds spouting one-liners. You don't do Spider-Man without the high school/relationship drama, you don't do Iron Man without the conflict of him fighting the very things he created, you don't do X-Men without the social issues ranging from civil rights to antisemitism. It's not like they have to go all drama on this one, but it should have a heart, and even in the couple scenes in the trailer that should depict that, it's nowhere to be found.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
CYdQMFoUoAAhK0t.jpg:large

:russ:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY

This movie has one of the GOAT marketing teams :pachaha:

Im willing to put up bread this gonna be the comic flik that shyts on all the other comic flix
Then put up bread that this gonna be the comic flik that forces a change in all the other comic flix
:mjlol:
Dark and gritty you say??

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
The reason I love the character of Deadpool is because he is one of the few major comic book characters that's not afraid to be wacky and fun. A lot of good reasons have been mentioned, but I think the most important thing about Deadpool is what he represents. He's one of the last vestiges of pure unadulterated, unironic fun in comics. In an age where comic companies are trying to make superheroes seem tough, dark, and gritty - Deadpool shuns these things and embraces the mad cap insanity and joy of comics. Hopefully with the movie coming out in a little over the a month, Deadpool will help remind the industry of when comics were fun and not afraid of bright colors, crazy action, and escapist fantasy.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
The reason I love the character of Deadpool is because he is one of the few major comic book characters that's not afraid to be wacky and fun. A lot of good reasons have been mentioned, but I think the most important thing about Deadpool is what he represents. He's one of the last vestiges of pure unadulterated, unironic fun in comics. In an age where comic companies are trying to make superheroes seem tough, dark, and gritty - Deadpool shuns these things and embraces the mad cap insanity and joy of comics. Hopefully with the movie coming out in a little over the a month, Deadpool will help remind the industry of when comics were fun and not afraid of bright colors, crazy action, and escapist fantasy.

You're only half right, which means you're half wrong, but I'ma let you eat.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Im willing to put up bread this gonna be the comic flik that shyts on all the other comic flix
Then put up bread that this gonna be the comic flik that forces a change in all the other comic flix
Dark and gritty you say??
:mindblown: must be the only person that doesn't see any revolutionary about this.Judging by the trailers it just looks like Ryan Reynolds in deadpools costume doing what he's always done (except now he's breaking the 4th wall) in a flick that doesn't look to have a big budget. The movie you are talking about was kickass (didn't happen tho) this shyt looks like a mess

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
:mindblown: must be the only person that doesn't see any revolutionary about this.Judging by the trailers it just looks like Ryan Reynolds in deadpools costume doing what he's always done (except now he's breaking the 4th wall) in a flick that doesn't look to have a big budget. The movie you are talking about was kickass (didn't happen tho) this shyt looks like a mess
I got bread
How much you wanna put up?

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Not really. Deadpool isn't all Rated R immature dikk & sex jokes. I've said it before, and I'll say it again as many times as I have to, the core of the character is that he acts like a fool as a coping mechanism for the tragedies in his life. He was a cold-blooded killer who got cancer, was experimented on and tortured in the Weapon X program and much like Wolverine had no recollection of his past for many years and most of his past that did come back to him were the horrors he committed, so his mind went a little cuckoo. He's a guy who wants to be a hero but is so afraid of not being up to par to the stature of a "hero" because of his sordid past that he puts himself down. That's also one of the reasons him and Cable are buddies because Cable is just there to do the fukking job and doesn't care about heroic bullshyt, so Deadpool can hang out with him and be condescended by him like he feels other heroes would (and often do).

The idea that he is just this "ha ha" jokester character has consistently lead to his worst stories in comics. When you got a writer who cares/understands (Kelly, Nicieza, Simone), Deadpool is great.
In the leaked script I'd say the characterization of Deadpool is more towards to the Joe Kelly run than Daniel Way but I didn't read too much of it I don't know how much they delve into his whole motivation.